Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: FEL Paint quality?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-03-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks

FEL Paint quality?

I have 220 hours on my 4044R now. It's my first Deere and my first cab. Though I've owned five Kubotas in the past I went with Deere this time as the cab had better ergonomics and the dealer knew his product much better than the orange guys. I've used it for snow removal, brushhogging, harvesting firewood and general landscaping duties and for the most part have been very impressed. It's a beast!

My only complaint is that the paint in the bucket is peeling off in strips 4-6 inches long, exposing rust underneath. It's just surface rust, and I can easily sand it down to prime and paint, but in 25 years of using Kubotas hard the most I saw were scuffs and scrapes in the orange paint. My local dealer has been very supportive, and they agreed that it was unusual. They have sent several requests to JD asking if there had been a bad batch. No replies from corporate. Silence. And that, more than the presenting problem, has me worried. If JD corporate can't even bother responding to their dealers...
    pcabe5 and PJR832 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,146 Times in 2,587 Posts
    Maybe they have changed something or yours just had a bad prep job, but I've always been amazed how well the paint (or whatever it is?) has held up inside the buckets.
    pcabe5, Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    I dunno but I spent a week moving stones around my property this summer and my bucket went from having a few scratches in it to stripped clean of paint. The 60#+ stones just seemed to beat the paint right off the bucket and it came out in big flakes. I'd be interested in what you hear back from Deere and your dealer if you ever do hear.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    The description of the failure sounds like it is powder coat.

Powder paint has become the coating of choice for paint jobs that don't need an ultra fine finish (think automotive) because they don't require any organic solvents and thus meet emissions regulations without much treatment.

I've always hated powder paint because it is impossible to repair (you can't feather the plastic skin like you can "real" paint) and when it starts to fail, the whole piece will become paintless as corrosion sets in under the coating.

Al
    pcabe5, Zebrafive, Robnik and 1 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    The description of the failure sounds like it is powder coat.

Powder paint has become the coating of choice for paint jobs that don't need an ultra fine finish (think automotive) because they don't require any organic solvents and thus meet emissions regulations without much treatment.

I've always hated powder paint because it is impossible to repair (you can't feather the plastic skin like you can "real" paint) and when it starts to fail, the whole piece will become paintless as corrosion sets in under the coating.

Al
    My thoughts too. Same problem with powder coated snow plow blades. Once the paint start to peel it comes off in sheets.
    pcabe5, Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    I agree with your dealer..its unusual. I have moved hundreds of yards of pit run, gravel, sand, and M-10 with an H-260 bucket and its scratched and scuffed but the paint is still there.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Thanks
    I'm curious as to where the loader arms were manufactured. My 300CX was made in China.

NOTE: I'm not trying to turn this into an "everything made is China is crap" thread!! Some good stuff comes out of China, but it's pretty well documented that there are often corners cut in their processes.
    PJR832 likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,146 Times in 2,587 Posts
    Mark, I believe only the cast towers and QA shoes are China made, the loader itself is made / assembled in the US or Mexico.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Thanks
    You're probably correct (I'm 99.999999% sure that you are! ) about that. I noticed the "Made in China" on the towers and wrongly assumed that the whole loader assembly came from there.

THANKS for setting me straight!
    Kennyd likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:20 PM
    Thanks
    The paint is very poor on my dad's 5065E loader. The steel is not primed, the paint is coming off in odd places, and rust sets in as soon as the paint is cracked or broken. His tractor has less than 300 easy hours on it, and it is stored in a shed.
    The paint is much better on my 790.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast