ANyone use their FEL to pour concrete?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree185Likes

Thread: ANyone use their FEL to pour concrete?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

ANyone use their FEL to pour concrete?

I ripped out the old wrap-around deck steps today, because they were installed (by a "professional builder) with the stair stringers right on (in) the ground. No concrete, blocks, or even a patio paver under them. So they rotted out. OK, old steps gone.

I'm trying to decide if I should set new stringers on deck blocks, solid concrete blocks, or dig out a full length footer, and pour concrete. The problem is I can't get a concrete truck anywhere near where I need the concrete, so wondering how well it may go, to move about 1.5 yards of concrete from the road, to the back of the house, and actually get it there.

How many trips with the 61" bucket on my JD4100? Probably can't carry more than half a bucket load at a time, and can it be successfully dumped it into the dug out footers?

Anyone here ever done it? Another option would be to rent a mixer, and mix 50 80 lb bags, on-site. Not looking forward to that, but...

What you say?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171126_152657_resized_1.jpg   20171126_160104_resized_1.jpg  
    Last edited by JD-4100; 11-26-2017 at 09:50 PM.
    etcallhome, pcabe5 and Robnik like this.
    Will

JD 4100 HST, MFWD; JD 410 w/61" bucket, Ken's BoltOn hooks & shackles; Titan ballast box; modified quick hitch; 6' landscape rake & wheel kit; TS subsoiler; Woods Mowin'Machine; 61" mower deck, vac & hopper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-20-2018 @ 12:16 PM
    Thanks
    pressure treated on the ground now will probably outlast the rest of your deck.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    People do it all the time but I don’t recommend it. Any that splashes on to your tractor and doesn’t get washed right away is there forever. Somebody hauled concrete with my tooth bucket on the bobcat could have been 20 years ago. There is still pieces of it in the corner of the bucket in the back. You would think it was welded to the steel.

Most of the concrete guys have buggies, You might see if the company hauling it has one, otherwise a wheelbarrow.
    mjncad, etcallhome, pcabe5 and 4 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I saw these Diamond Piers used on a recent episode of This Old House. Since they don't post their shows any more, I found a video of them being used on Hometime. I'd not seen or heard of them before, but the real beauty is that there is no concrete to be poured, and a minimal hole to dig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dXqDaVj3mQ
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 8 others like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredDoc For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (11-27-2017)

8. Top | #5
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD-4100 View Post
    I ripped out the old wrap-around deck steps today, because they were installed (by a "professional builder) with the stair stringers right on (in) the ground. No concrete, blocks, or even a patio paver under them. So they rotted out. OK, old steps gone.

I'm trying to decide if I should set new stringers on deck blocks, solid concrete blocks, or dig out a full length footer, and pour concrete. The problem is I can't get a concrete truck anywhere near where I need the concrete, so wondering how well it may go, to move about 1.5 yards of concrete from the road, to the back of the house, and actually get it there.

How many trips with the 61" bucket on my JD4100? Probably can't carry more than half a bucket load at a time, and can it be successfully dumped it into the dug out footers?

Anyone here ever done it? Another option would be to rent a mixer, and mix 50 80 lb bags, on-site. Not looking forward to that, but...

What you say?
    Been there and just done that last month. Not into a footer but mixed 70, 80 lb bags for a sidewalk. We rented a 6 cubic ft. gas mixer, and I used my 2520 with 61" bucket for the wheelbarrow. One word....awesome!

We probably could have mixed 6 bags at a time, but to keep any "spillage" (while mixing) out of the picture, we kept it at 5 bags a mix. The bucket would have been able to handle a bit more for sure. All in all, using the tractor as a wheelbarrow was, as I said awesome.

If you decide to use a truck, just ask him to keep the mix on the dry side, so you don't "spill" any. You should be fine.
    Last edited by glc; 11-27-2017 at 01:06 AM.
    mjncad, etcallhome, pcabe5 and 5 others like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yesdear View Post
    pressure treated on the ground now will probably outlast the rest of your deck.
    The PT lumber I'm seeing in the local box store chains is marked "Not for ground contact", so if the "good stuff" is still available, it seems more like a special-order. But the other reason for not putting stair stringers right on the ground, seems to me, would be that they aill tend to work down into the ground. There are 22 stringers, so the lwidth of the steps is over 30 feet. Gotta keep'em all level.

Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    People do it all the time but I don’t recommend it. Any that splashes on to your tractor and doesn’t get washed right away is there forever. Somebody hauled concrete with my tooth bucket on the bobcat could have been 20 years ago. There is still pieces of it in the corner of the bucket in the back. You would think it was welded to the steel.

Yes, that's a good point, and something that would probably not be noticed until well after there was paint damage to the tractor.

Most of the concrete guys have buggies, You might see if the company hauling it has one, otherwise a wheelbarrow.
    Never thought of that. Will call to inq on the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    I saw these Diamond Piers used on a recent episode of This Old House. Since they don't post their shows any more, I found a video of them being used on Hometime. I'd not seen or heard of them before, but the real beauty is that there is no concrete to be poured, and a minimal hole to dig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dXqDaVj3mQ
    Way over the top for my application, but that was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Been there and just done that last month. Not into a footer but mixed 70, 80 lb bags for a sidewalk. We rented a 6 cubic ft. gas mixer, and I used my 2520 with 61" bucket for the wheelbarrow. One word....awesome!

We probably could have mixed 6 bags at a time, but to keep any "spillage" (while mixing) out of the picture, we kept it at 5 bags a mix. The bucket would have been able to handle a bit more for sure. All in all, using the tractor as a wheelbarrow was, as I said awesome.

If you decide to use a truck, just ask him to keep the mix on the dry side, so you don't "spill" any. You should be fine.
    Good job. Thanks for your feedback.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 3 others like this.
    Will

JD 4100 HST, MFWD; JD 410 w/61" bucket, Ken's BoltOn hooks & shackles; Titan ballast box; modified quick hitch; 6' landscape rake & wheel kit; TS subsoiler; Woods Mowin'Machine; 61" mower deck, vac & hopper.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:04 PM
    Thanks
    Around here you have to have a 5 yard minimum before a truck shows up. That might answer your question right there if you are only doing 1.5 yards. I know the big box stores sell preformed concrete blocks to set posts in, is that not an option for your situation? I think can you also get some concrete discs or pucks. They sell those for setting posts on for a pole building. That might work better.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    Around here you have to have a 5 yard minimum before a truck shows up. That might answer your question right there if you are only doing 1.5 yards. I know the big box stores sell preformed concrete blocks to set posts in, is that not an option for your situation? I think can you also get some concrete discs or pucks. They sell those for setting posts on for a pole building. That might work better.
    Do a search for a "Mini Mix" in your area. They deliver small loads.
    BigJim55, Robnik and bvbearcat like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD-4100 View Post
    The PT lumber I'm seeing in the local box store chains is marked "Not for ground contact", so if the "good stuff" is still available, it seems more like a special-order.
    Home Depot and Lowes vary in lumber from area to area, as I found looking for western red cedar here in the Southeastern US.

But my local stores carry ground contact rated pressure treated in the sizes from 4x6 and larger. They also have 4x4 ground contact, but they keep them out in the outdoor garden areas with the fencing rather than in the lumber aisles.
    pcabe5, BigJim55, JD-4100 and 1 others like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

13. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,075 Times in 3,007 Posts
    I would not put any "nowadays" pressure treated wood in the ground. It's not near as good as it once was. IMO.
    https://www.permacolumn.com/what-are-perma-columns

I've used out FEL a couple times with concrete. It has worked well for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_3582_1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	497106 _ Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_3584_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	497114
    glc, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 7 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

PJR832 (11-27-2017)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast