Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Broken Bolt on MMM, How to Remove

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 11:15 PM
    Thanks

Broken Bolt on MMM, How to Remove

Following the advice of the revered Kennyd, and starting the thread on the broken MMM bolt here.

I won't revisit everything - the bolt on the right side (from the top) broke off when the blade caught on the ground, and I have not been able to get the bolt stub out of the spindle on the MMM. I was looking through the drawings on the JD site last night and identified the parts, but it would be nice to have a maintenance and repair manual to tell me how to get the whole thing apart and back together. With most things it is easy to find a free download, but I have not been able to find one for the MMM. Any help would be appreciated.

Erikr, I tried all that on Saturday afternoon for about three hours with no luck and I suspect that I have now damaged the threads in the spindle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 06:17 AM
    Thanks
    We like photos here.
    ejb69, Levi and ErikR like this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:08 AM
    Thanks
    Which MMM????

If you have already destroyed the threads, a spindle might be the quickest fix.
    Levi, keane, ErikR and 1 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,232 Posts
    keane, ErikR and firemachine69 like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R, 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750 Tractor
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw, ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other useless stuff.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:39 PM
    Thanks
    I've got to agree with Zebrafive....

If you think the treads are damaged, the easiest and probably most cost effective way to fix it right is to replace it...

By the time you remove the spindle, find someone to remove the stub and fix the treads, drive there, wait, pay, return home, reinstall... it 's probably going to cost more than the $$$ involved in just swapping it out. Besides, I don't know if I'd want a helicoil tread repair insert on a fast turning, heavy blade holding, item like a mower spindle?????

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spind1.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	497570

Name:	spind2.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	497578

Good luck!!! post pics... we like pics.... OH, and double check my part numbers.... I Think they're right.!!!!!
    Last edited by ErikR; 11-28-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    Levi and H-D dealer dude like this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikR For This Useful Post:

drynoc (11-29-2017)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,156 Times in 2,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikR View Post
    I've got to agree with Zebrafive....

If you think the treads are damaged, the easiest and probably most cost effective way to fix it right is to replace it...

By the time you remove the spindle, find someone to remove the stub and fix the treads, drive there, wait, pay, return home, reinstall... it 's probably going to cost more than the $$$ involved in just swapping it out. Besides, I don't know if I'd want a helicoil tread repair insert on a fast turning, heavy blade holding, item like a mower spindle?????

Name:	spind1.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	497570

Name:	spind2.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	497578

Good luck!!! post pics... we like pics.... OH, and double check my part numbers.... I Think they're right.!!!!!

Curious how you came up with the spindle part number without knowing what deck the OP is talking about.....
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Curious how you came up with the spindle part number without knowing what deck the OP is talking about.....
    The OP here refers to a previous post on another forum thread, thereby leaving a clue. A search of the posters's ID reveals the name of the forum and thread, Then a search through recent posts there gives you that original post, and in the post the MMM is revealed.

The spindle bolt was killed in Virginia, by drynoc, using a 54"MMM.

Hard to keep a secret on the internet.
    Levi, mark02tj, ErikR and 3 others like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 11:15 PM
    Thanks

Thanks to all

Yes, it is a 54" MMM and thanks again to Erikr for the part numbers, although I did find them in the John Deere literature on line. I still have not located a downloadable maintenance and repair manual, so that effort will go on. I was too annoyed working on the issue on Saturday to think to take pictures, but I'll try to get to that this weekend (if I can find time amid the tiling and the Christmas decorations).
    Levi likes this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,156 Times in 2,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drynoc View Post
    Yes, it is a 54" MMM and thanks again to Erikr for the part numbers, although I did find them in the John Deere literature on line. I still have not located a downloadable maintenance and repair manual, so that effort will go on. I was too annoyed working on the issue on Saturday to think to take pictures, but I'll try to get to that this weekend (if I can find time amid the tiling and the Christmas decorations).
    You can’t download Deere Technical Manuals. Here is the manual for the 54 auto-connect for 1025R

https://www.greenfarmparts.com/John-...3-p/tm1763.htm

I doubt very much that there will be any info about your issue other than replacing the spindle which is just removing 3 bolts.
    Levi likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Which MMM????

If you have already destroyed the threads, a spindle might be the quickest fix.
    What he said.

If the blade hit the ground hard enough to brake it's mounting bolt. That spindle could be slightly bent or have other problems like a damaged bearing. I'd recommend just replacing the whole assembly. Including the blade. Especially since the mounting threads are now damaged. Just be glad that you didn't bend the deck.
    Levi and coaltrain like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast