• 1 Post By jdmich
  • 2 Post By Plug Ugly

Thread: Adapting a truck plow for use on the FEL

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks

Adapting a truck plow for use on the FEL

I got a derelict old snow plow for nothing, and adapted it for use on the H240 loader on my 5055E. I had a few ideas on how to do it, I ended up changing in mid build after I read a few threads on here and other places. I intended to build it rigid (other than angle, of course). So initially I concentrated on getting the JDQA mount I was building as close as I could to limit the leverage on the FEL.

This is what I started with, I'd already taken the cylinders and some of the brackets off when I took this. The truck mount is still resting on the pallet, too.

I bought some 5" and 4" C channel steel for the frame from my local steel guy. I shop their drop piles pretty often and they hook me up, the total I spent for all the steel with them was $45. I had a few odd pieces I used. I ordered the lower JDQA pins from HERE for ~$8.

Here's the basic frame coming together.

I cut the frame and was doing mock-ups of mounting it at the same angle as my bucket, so the level indicator would mean something. Still concentrating on keeping it really tight at this point.

This is where I started to have concerns about hard mounting. I was going to have shoes on the blade (haven't bought those yet, ~$85), but I could see that trying to float the loader would be an issue. I tossed around the idea of putting a third shoe on the FEL bracket so I could have the weight of the plow on the ground. I went online to look at other builds and plows. I found a lot of disconcerting talk about how hard mounting the plow pushed the tractor around because carrying the weight took traction. I have a bigger tractor and will have the 3pt 7' blower on, so I thought I might be okay. Then I saw some videos of a guy running a plow with basically the same system a pickup would use, so it rests on the ground and hinges like it was designed to. Search "fisher plow john deere" on youtube if you want to see why I changed my mounting system.

Back to the steel shop, I got some round stock and and tubing to make a super duty hinge. I cut the tubing 90% through on the chop saw, and spaced the ends away from the QA frame so the center could rotate with the plow. I welded it all up solid, the finished the cuts on the tubing, making my hinge.

I welded that center section to the previously cut off plow frame. The hinge pin is huge, but it's what they had handy in a size that fit well in tubing. It looks stainless but it's just 4140 cold rolled that was left over from something that needed that finish.

Next I "boxed" the top of the frame and put a chain hook on. Backwards. I welded the chain hook (made from angle iron, not a real hook) 180 degrees from the orientation I wanted it in. And of course I welded it all out before I noticed. Luckily, it doesn't really affect the way it works. I considered beefing the top hooks for the FEL up, but I think they'll be fine and are easy to get at if I need to do it later. When the plow is in use, they don't carry weight or plow load.

This is the plow mounted with the chain hooked up and the bucket level indicator at "level" for my bucket. I can adjust that any way I want between the chain and curl function, but I figured that's a good place to start.

You can see the finished hinge here, I drilled the round stock for normal implement lynch pins to hold it in. I'll probably put some grease on the pin after paint, it's loose enough that it will be as anti-seize than necessary lubricant. The whole plow is pretty loosey-goosey on tolerances being as it's been around since Jesus was a cowboy. Paint, skid shoes, and snow. That's all I need to see if it was worth the $150 I've got invested. Possible upgrade later to hydraulic angle via DA cylinder, but I don't have so much to plow that it's a big priority.

This went pretty easy, Surprisingly. I have to give a shout out to my little Miller 211 welder. I was welding some heavy steel in places, and without much of a rest. It did great set on "kill" and throwing the wire in there.

Now we wait.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, Tomfive and 11 others like this.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plug Ugly For This Useful Post:

Fozsey (11-30-2017), Herminator (11-28-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:59 PM
    Thanks
    Nice work. Did something similar with my 1025r. Left for dead Fisher plow all done up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pcabe5, Tomfive, mark02tj and 6 others like this.

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug Ugly View Post

This went pretty easy, Surprisingly. I have to give a shout out to my little Miller 211 welder. I was welding some heavy steel in places, and without much of a rest. It did great set on "kill" and throwing the wire in there.

Now we wait.
    I used my Miller 211 MVP Autoset for my last build I did (there is a thread here for it) and laid many, many, many inches of weld set anywhere between 1/8” and max and never had it hiccup or hit the duty cycle... it’s an amazing machine and much more capable than I am at welding
    firemachine69 likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to balrog006 For This Useful Post:

Plug Ugly (11-29-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Mine is the older version with MVP and Autoset, bigger than the little new version. I like the looks of the new Lincoln 210mp, but not enough to spend the money.

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    Mine is the older version with MVP and Autoset, bigger than the little new version. I like the looks of the new Lincoln 210mp, but not enough to spend the money.
    Mine is the same older style. I’ve seen the newer ones have another switch for mode/material/has selection but are basically the same.

I like the idea of a multi process machine like the Lincoln but the deal I got on the Miller was too good to pass up.
    Plug Ugly likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 05:50 AM
    Thanks
    Don't know anything about retrofitting a truck plow to a tractor but I must say "Them's some pretty welds"
    Plug Ugly likes this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    Close to what I did, but instead of using chai on top I made it rigid so I can put down pressure on it to back drag and scape if I wanted. Used old western plow i got off cl for cheap. Works great. Can get better pics when I go out to barn but this one you can see square tube I used on top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5A86D872-250E-4A09-8920-19F41D2C20E7.jpeg  
    BigJim55 and bmichael like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmich View Post
    Close to what I did, but instead of using chai on top I made it rigid so I can put down pressure on it to back drag and scape if I wanted. Used old western plow i got off cl for cheap. Works great. Can get better pics when I go out to barn but this one you can see square tube I used on top.
    I can't see your picture, but that was my original plan. I have a gravel driveway, so I don't foresee needing more downforce than the weight of the plow. The other thing I thought while making mine float with the chain was that it would be simple to trade the chain out later for a piece of tube to make it rigid. It would be easier now to make mine rigid than it would have been to take it all apart and add the hinge. That's what pushed me over the edge to hinge it.
    jdmich likes this.

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    I can't see your picture, but that was my original plan. I have a gravel driveway, so I don't foresee needing more downforce than the weight of the plow. The other thing I thought while making mine float with the chain was that it would be simple to trade the chain out later for a piece of tube to make it rigid. It would be easier now to make mine rigid than it would have been to take it all apart and add the hinge. That's what pushed me over the edge to hinge it.
    I do have some pavement that I plow, but most is gravel. Ridge I found make it easier to stack snow, push back sides and store, sit on drifts and pull them down etc. To store I can stand it up,on the face on hf furniture dolly’s. I thought awhile in making it ridge or not but decide to.

Pics for some reason aren’t showing up but I guess they’re working on it.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    One of my outside cameras captured the plow in action today. The board must not like mp4 links, but you can click this and see it work.
    https://imgur.com/LoD2ANv
    Last edited by Plug Ugly; 02-11-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    Gizmo2 and jdmich like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements