Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rack or Box blade or blade?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Thanks

Rack or Box blade or blade?

Hi,

Got my first tractor in June and loved using it all summer.

Been thinking I need a rear blade but then I thought why not a rake and then I heard about box blade..GURRRRRRRR!

This form has been so helpful I thought I would ask your advice.

I have about 2 ac and will be leveling some of next summer so that is why I thought about the rake or blade. Not sure what the advantages are for one or the other and I don't know anything about a box blade.

If you have time comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2017 1025R with turf tires
    H120 FEL with 53" Bucket Quick Change
    54" Autoconnect Mower, mulch kit and hyd mower lift
    54" Quick-Hitch Two Stage Snow Blower Hyd Rotator with Remote Spout Cap kit
    Ballast box with tubes
    IMatch
    Engine blanket
    LED lights
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks and rear hitch
    Country Time/Tarter 48" Tiller
    Titan carriage & 42" forks

PS Everyone knows what a 1025R looks like so my Avatar is a picture of my two girls!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-30-2019 @ 07:11 PM
    Thanks
    I had the same dilemma but the more I research I did the more I leaned towards a box blade. Actually picking up my box blade BB5048L tomorrow. For me this will be the best tool to work and level my areas.

I am no expert but I would think this would be the best for you also. The rake from what I have read is good for finish but you can’t dig in with scarifiers like a box blade and level high spots. And a box blade does better at spreading material level holding it in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    USAFRet likes this.
    2017 1025r
    120R Loader, 54D MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Front Hoe Bucket.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks
    A rake won't get you anywhere when it comes to leveling. Only if the soils is really worked up would a rake have much impact. A box blade is great tool - one of which main jobs is leveling. There are a ton of great videos on youtube showing how handy a box blade can be. EverythingAttachments has one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxuEDGSGOZA&t=416s
    PJR832 likes this.
    John Deere 1025R FILB, BB2048L, RC2048, Edge Tamers, King Kutter TG-48-XB, 60" Back Blade, Exmark Laser Z 60"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    My primary use for my incoming box blade is going to be scraping back snow from tight areas.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    I like spending other peoples money and may have some people disagree with me but I have found that just one tool will not get the job done. I love my box blade, breaks up hard ground, moves a lot of material, removes pothole from the driveway, does the first step of landscaping. I have a landscape rake went to use it on my driveway. I hated it why did I spend my money on it, then I did some research on this site you can get a wheel kit for it great spend some more of my money. I got the kit and man I love this tool it works great for finish landscaping in the driveway or backyard. If I use it at an angle it will get it very level and not take all day. I know you like pictures so here are some with removing potholes in the driveway and adding gravel and making a smooth driveway.

Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1813.JPG   DSCN1814.JPG   DSCN1815.JPG   DSCN1822.JPG   DSCN1824.JPG  

DSCN1825.JPG  
    greenharley and cowboy bp like this.
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Terraking TKV20 Material Collection System

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks

Rack or Box blade or blade?

What tractor do you have? Whichever route you decide, make sure not to get more tool than your tractor can manage. I have a 1025r and I purchased a 54” boxblade from everythingattachments and I feel that Im right at the limit of what my 1025r wants to handle. It does a good job and covers my wheel tracks but when the box gets full it makes the 1025r grunt a little.

'17 John Deere 1025R FEL
    '16 Cub Cadet Tank SZ 54" cut
    (3) 80 Dump Cart
    18 Dump Cart
    greenharley and PJR832 like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Thanks
    Keep in mind the primary purpose of each of the attachments...

Rear Blade--Moving and smoothing loose material, may be also used for light scraping and leveling.
    Box Blade--More aggressive moving and smoothing of ground, use of scarifer teeth allow it to dig into the ground and loosen compacted soil
    Rake--Gathering and removal of larger objects (twigs, branches, stones).

So, technically, you could need all three. Clean the area with the rake, then do initial grading with the Box Blade, use rake again to clean area, then final grade with rear blade.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:47 AM
    Thanks
    I'm throwing in the other tool, the land plane/leveler, you really need a fourth item to make the decision even harder :

https://www.everythingattachments.co...p/ls-51-ll.htm

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks

Back Blade

Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
    My primary use for my incoming box blade is going to be scraping back snow from tight areas.
    For that use with snow, I'd go with a back blade. A box blade will certainly work and if that's what you like that's fine. However a back blade that can be swung is very handy in snow. Plow going forward, push going backwards and scrape out of tight areas with one implement. A box blade might get an inch or two closer to a wall, depending on how the back blade is made but otherwise, I'd go with the back blade. (I'm not anti box blade, I have both.)

Treefarmer
    greenharley and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-18-2018 @ 03:44 PM
    Thanks
    Just get both and the imatch

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast