Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Cone spreader

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks

Cone spreader

What are your experiences with cone spreaders from TSC? My tiller is from them and it does well. I'm going to apply some fertilizers but mainly pelletized gypsum and cover crops with it. I will be storing it indoors and washing after each use. Also will put a light coat of oil/rust inhibitor on surfaces that need it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    12-04-2018 @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post
    What are your experiences with cone spreaders from TSC? My tiller is from them and it does well. I'm going to apply some fertilizers but mainly pelletized gypsum and cover crops with it. I will be storing it indoors and washing after each use. Also will put a light coat of oil/rust inhibitor on surfaces that need it.
    My advice is get one with the plastic tub. I had a metal one that rusted out. I let a buddy borrow it and within a year it was rusted so bad it was not salvageable. I was in disbelief when I went to get it. When I dropped it off, it didn’t have any structural rust.

You’re on the right path about washing it with a soap very well, dry it good and oil it down to make it last

Brett
    2017 5100E CAB H260
    ---FRONTIER BB4296
    ---MX15
    ---MX8
    ---EA 72" GRAPPLE

2017 KUBOTA ZD1211R
    2017 KUBOTA RTV-X1100C
    4K winch, 2”lift, 27s

GONE AND FORGOTTEN
    2013 AND 2014 5055E CAB H240

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    So is the cone the weak link?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    So is the cone the weak link?
    For me it was. The spinner and gear box were perfect. The cone and the gates were what rusted out. Fertilizer is very nasty if you don’t clean up after it properly

Brett
    2017 5100E CAB H260
    ---FRONTIER BB4296
    ---MX15
    ---MX8
    ---EA 72" GRAPPLE

2017 KUBOTA ZD1211R
    2017 KUBOTA RTV-X1100C
    4K winch, 2”lift, 27s

GONE AND FORGOTTEN

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    My thought is that as long as the gearbox is solid, the weak link includes any surface that fertilizer touches and isn't cleaned adequately after each use. That includes the metal cone itself, the slider mechanism that controls rate of application, and the metal spinning broadcast disc.

I've had a Frontier metal cone model for a couple of years, and it gets pressure washed, sun dried, sprayed lightly with PAM cooking spray, and then stored in a corner of my garage (not outside in the shed with the other implements) after every use. Any bare metal gets a shot of JD green spray paint right away, too. There's always a circle of bare metal after every use where the agitator wheel runs around the inside of the cone.

I've not been asked yet by anyone to borrow it. But if I loan it out, I'll want it returned right after use, and no matter how clean it looks, I'll give it the same washing and oiling before storing it back away.
    BigJim55 and rustyshakelford like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

8. Top | #6
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 07:01 PM
    Thanks
    I've got one sitting over at the inlaws that they inherited when they bought their last parcel. I've been meaning to pull it out and go through it for functionality. I thought it could be usefull for spreading seed or fertilizer on the smaller hay pastures.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    My thought is that as long as the gearbox is solid, the weak link includes any surface that fertilizer touches and isn't cleaned adequately after each use. That includes the metal cone itself, the slider mechanism that controls rate of application, and the metal spinning broadcast disc.

I've had a Frontier metal cone model for a couple of years, and it gets pressure washed, sun dried, sprayed lightly with PAM cooking spray, and then stored in a corner of my garage (not outside in the shed with the other implements) after every use. Any bare metal gets a shot of JD green spray paint right away, too. There's always a circle of bare metal after every use where the agitator wheel runs around the inside of the cone.

I've not been asked yet by anyone to borrow it. But if I loan it out, I'll want it returned right after use, and no matter how clean it looks, I'll give it the same washing and oiling before storing it back away.
    This is the type of person you let borrow your stuff! I unfortunately don’t always make the right decision. If you are very strict on maintenance and cleaning a metal one would be fine. If there’s any chance at all it’ll sit a bit or not get detailed after every use go plastic

Brett
    BigJim55 and Stablenickers like this.
    2017 5100E CAB H260
    ---FRONTIER BB4296
    ---MX15
    ---MX8
    ---EA 72" GRAPPLE

2017 KUBOTA ZD1211R
    2017 KUBOTA RTV-X1100C
    4K winch, 2”lift, 27s

GONE AND FORGOTTEN

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok. It would be in the shop with the planter tiller and sprayer. The tiller is the only thing I don't wash right after use because I'll use it for a week straight every two weeks. When I'm done I wash it up and grease it for the next go round. Is there any huge difference between the TSC (Tarter) brand and a king cutter?

What did you pay for your frontier spreader?

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Ok. It would be in the shop with the planter tiller and sprayer. The tiller is the only thing I don't wash right after use because I'll use it for a week straight every two weeks. When I'm done I wash it up and grease it for the next go round. Is there any huge difference between the TSC (Tarter) brand and a king cutter?

What did you pay for your frontier spreader?
    $800. I wanted one that was imatch compatible and Deere locally had one in stock with that option. I had shopped around so long that I let seeding and fertilizing time slip up on me, and it was a choice of buying the Frontier or paying someone $90/hour to spread seed and fertilizer for me. By not having to do that, I figure the financial break even point was around a year.

I did look several times at the TSC spreaders, and they looked pretty good to me. The only problem with the TSC, other than having to do fabrication to make it work with the imatch, was that my nearest TSC stored theirs outside, and the three they had were rusty already. I did go to another TSC where they took over an old Walmart store and have a huge amount of indoor storage for all their implements. The spreaders there were in perfect shape.
    BigJim55 and Stablenickers like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-20-2018 @ 03:38 PM
    Thanks
    We use an Agrex PTO cone spreader that says it isn’t iMatch compatible, but it actually is. Works great, easy to adjust. My only complaint is that I can’t reach the shutoff lever from the tractor. So, if we’re distributing fertilizer/grass/etc between multiple pastures, someone has to be waiting nearby to flip the lever or the waste adds up.

https://www.everythingattachments.co...d-xa1503pt.htm
    BigJim55 and keane like this.
    Jen

ZTrack Z915B
    2016 4052R with H165 loader
    iMatch hitch, Frontier box scrape, 6' disc harrow, 4' alternating tine aerator
    55 gal sprayer

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stablenickers For This Useful Post:

keane (12-06-2017)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast