• 1 Post By jgayman
  • 2 Post By 69project

Thread: Front end loaders D-160 John Deere 3038e

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-06-2019 @ 06:25 AM
    Thanks

Front end loaders D-160 John Deere 3038e

Is there any way to maintain a level load while raising or lowering my loader? I canít seem to find the sweet spot on the joystick to achieve this. Tilting the forks seem very erratic and hard to control smoothly. Iím handling big loads of firewood (donít like re-stacking ) any and all suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:06 AM
    Thanks

Front end loaders D-160 John Deere 3038e

You are experiencing something that seems to be common with John Deere loaders. In fact, that alone has pushed me away from several green tractors in the last few years. Once you get used to a precise control (in my case Kubotas) you will find it hard to accept anything else.

However, I just bought a new JD 5100M and guess what? The loader valve sucks. The dealer agrees and is going to replace it. I fear it will never be as good as the orange brand in that category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ortimber; 12-06-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    johnH123 and joshn3448 like this.
    JD 5052R
    JD 5100M
    JD 835M XUV
    JD 650G Dozer
    Kubota KX-057
    Kubota ZD1211

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ortimber View Post
    However, I just bought a new JD 5100M and guess what? The loader valve sucks. The dealer agrees and is going to replace it. I fear it will never be as good as the orange brand in that category.
    From what I've read and seen on-line it seems all of the 5000-series loader controls are a bit on the stiff and unwieldy side.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    From what I've read and seen on-line it seems all of the 5000-series loader controls are a bit on the stiff and unwieldy side.
    Perfect description of how mine is.

JD 5052R
    JD 5100M
    JD 835M XUV
    JD 650G Dozer
    Kubota KX-057
    Kubota ZD1211

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    So back to the original question. For the D160 loader....back off on the engine throttle and it will smooth out the FEL controls and take some of that sensitivity out of the FEL. I have the same loader on my 3025e. I have adjusted to using it at full power but it takes getting used to if you want to make it smooth. I have found if you lower the engine RPM's it makes the FEL ops slower and therefore smoother.
    Catfishin and SkipperRowe like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I did sort of derail this thread. My intended point was to let the OP know that I have seen the same thing as him in the green machines.

JD 5052R
    JD 5100M
    JD 835M XUV
    JD 650G Dozer
    Kubota KX-057
    Kubota ZD1211

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ortimber View Post
    I did sort of derail this thread. My intended point was to let the OP know that I have seen the same thing as him in the green machines.

No worries, I just wanted to answer the OP's question. The D160 loader has the quickest reacting hydraulics of any tractor I have used but I have not used that many in my life so what do I know? All of the JD tractors I have used have had fairly quick hydraulics except my 2210, they seemed a bit slow but it had a very small pump that it shared with the power steering system so that kept it fairly "calm".

The speed of the hydraulics is a direct reflection of the speed of the pump which is controlled by engine RPM. There is more than one person on this forum who do a lot of their FEL work at idle or just off idle. I am not one of those people but I see the merits in having greater and smoother control of the speed/reaction of the FEL. I just choose to use my joystick carefully when I need to be more precise. Whether that is the preferred solution I am not sure, it's just what I do. If I am really needing to be precise I will lower the engine idle and take my time.

Anyways, I am guessing quick hydraulics is probably a JD design feature vs precise control since you have found it across other models.

Hopefully the OP gets used to his new loader. I have about 80 hours on my tractor now and am completely comfortable with how the FEL reacts. It took some time though.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements