Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help with JD AWR Disk Repair

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-22-2018 @ 05:46 PM
    Thanks

Help with JD AWR Disk Repair

Inherited a 1960's era JD AWR disk a couple of years ago. Decided I needed to pull it out of the fence row where it had been sitting since 1989 and see what condition it was in. Well to no great surprise the back two gangs would not turn. I've pulled them off and started to disassemble the gangs. One bearing, the one away from the gang nut, of course, is frozen on both gangs. I've encountered a short spool next to a bearing that is frozen on the gang bolt which is 1-1/4" square. This is the spool after the second bearing. All the spools, blades and first two bearing came off with almost no effort. This spool appears to have twisted slightly on the gang bolt and is wedged. I've been soaking it daily for the last month with penetrating spray. Spools are cast, so excessive heat and direct beating aren't a good idea. In addition to being wedged the void between the bolt and spool is packed with rust/very fine dirt. I used a small pick and removed maybe a quarter inch of this dirt/rust, then hit it with a high pressure water stream at the local car wash. The high pressure water didn't appear to remove any additional rust/dirt. I tried to rotate the spool with a chain wrench, won't budge. I'm thinking the next effort would be to apply rotational pressure with the chain wrench while someone else beats the nut end of the gang bolt. Nut in place and block of wood used to protect end of bolt. If anyone has other ideas or first hand knowledge I'd really like to hear from you.
    By the way my dad and I replaced the blades on this disk in the late 1960's and this was the last time the gangs were disassembled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Thanks

Good luck with that one

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkfarmer001 View Post
    Inherited a 1960's era JD AWR disk a couple of years ago. Decided I needed to pull it out of the fence row where it had been sitting since 1989 and see what condition it was in. Well to no great surprise the back two gangs would not turn. I've pulled them off and started to disassemble the gangs. One bearing, the one away from the gang nut, of course, is frozen on both gangs. I've encountered a short spool next to a bearing that is frozen on the gang bolt which is 1-1/4" square. This is the spool after the second bearing. All the spools, blades and first two bearing came off with almost no effort. This spool appears to have twisted slightly on the gang bolt and is wedged. I've been soaking it daily for the last month with penetrating spray. Spools are cast, so excessive heat and direct beating aren't a good idea. In addition to being wedged the void between the bolt and spool is packed with rust/very fine dirt. I used a small pick and removed maybe a quarter inch of this dirt/rust, then hit it with a high pressure water stream at the local car wash. The high pressure water didn't appear to remove any additional rust/dirt. I tried to rotate the spool with a chain wrench, won't budge. I'm thinking the next effort would be to apply rotational pressure with the chain wrench while someone else beats the nut end of the gang bolt. Nut in place and block of wood used to protect end of bolt. If anyone has other ideas or first hand knowledge I'd really like to hear from you.
    By the way my dad and I replaced the blades on this disk in the late 1960's and this was the last time the gangs were disassembled.
    I think you have the right idea. If you could figure out some way to simulate quick impacts on the spool while drizzling oil on it you could probably speed up the process. I suspect it's just dirt/rust inside the spool jamming everything up. I think the combination of impact on the gang bolt plus the rotation will get you there, eventually. I also feel for you. I don't know of any real easy way to work on an old disk. If you figure out a magic solution, please share, lol. If you have an impact wrench I guess you could put it back together and repeatedly loosen and tighten the bolt but your plan would probably work as well or better. You could also hammer on the other end of the gang bolt. That's usually a large flat head and I don't think you will hurt anything hitting that end.

Treefarmer

Late edit- if all else fails could you support the gang vertically by the end disks and tap hard on the flat end of the gang bolt so that the spools, other disks etc. are being pulled down by gravity while you are tapping?
    Last edited by Treefarmer; 12-08-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: another idea
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT
    I see no problem with heating the cast iron spool as long as one doesn't drench with water while it's Hot but it's your disk not mine. Have you considered submerging the stuck parts in water? Water will help melt dirt/rust. May I ask how you determined you have a model AWR & not a AW? I was employed at a JD dealer from '66-'87 and I don't remember ever seeing a model AWR only AW's.
    Thanks,Jim
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 12-09-2017 at 08:42 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I thought I remembered from the blade replacement 50 years ago, amazing how you remember that, but not what happened yesterday, that it was an AWR. The verification came with the size of the gang bolt. The AW is 1-1/8" and the AWR is 1-1/4". There's probably other differences, but this was as far as I looked.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Haven't considered submerging in water. How long does it take to impact the dirt/rust? Weeks?

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Rust is comprised of water/moisture but I have no idea on "soaking time" but I think water soaking will help loosen spools.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    05-16-2019 @ 06:32 PM
    Thanks
    Water is the "universal"solvent,just not as fast as others,it will soak itself free.i have used it for stuck brake shoes,which is rust between the surfaces

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

Well, just to close this out for others who may be interested. I didn't have an easy way to submerge in water so I resorted to fire.
    Used a torch to heat the spool then hit, beat on the following disk blade.... HARD went thru the cycle of heat and bang for an hour. Was able to move the spool maybe an 1/8 of inch. Gave up. Used a angle grinder with cut-off blade to cut one side off spool. Spool still wouldn't come off bolt while trying to drive it sideways off bolt, had to cut the second side off before it would come off
    Experienced same problem with second gang, moved the spool a half inch using the heat beat sequence for 20 minutes, then it stopped moving. Used the grinder on it as well.
    Once these spools were removed from the respective gang the remaining spools, blades, bearings and half spools came off with no problems.
    I'll keep the grinder handy for the front gangs.

Thanks to everyone who replied with advise.
    Treefarmer likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for update. It's too bad your neighbor doesn't have a swimming pool

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks

Well, got the front gangs apart. Had to use the grinder again on a bearing and one small spool. Used hammer on a couple of others, but overall I'm getting better. Think I could take one apart in 1/4 the time it took on this one. Discovered that one of the front gang bolts had been shorten by one inch at some point. That explains why there was no end spacer on that gang and several of the blades were loose. Priced a new gang bolt from JD. OUCH! ~$300. Thinking I'll ask a local machine shop what they would charge to build one. I seem to remember seeing somewhere online that these bolts were made from cold roll steel. Does anyone know if that's correct? And if so what grade?
    Thanks for the help.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast