Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Need recommendations for a salt/sand spreader

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 09:30 PM
    Thanks

Need recommendations for a salt/sand spreader

Got to use my tractor w/54" snowblower for the first time this morning. Only had 4 to 5 inches but it was a wet heavy snow and the chute clogged up a few times.

My driveway is 650' long and I am going to have to get a salt/sand spreader for my tractor. There's a fairly good grade (up) leaving the end of the driveway into the street. I did my site search and searched the web and discovered there are a LOT of different brands out there, Meyer, Western, Fisher, Boss, SnowEx, SaltDogg, Earthway, etc. My 1025 has the 54" snowblower, Curtis Cab and a Heavy Hitch suitcase weight attachment on my 3-point hitch as you can see in the picture below. Because it has the 2" receiver, I want to get a tailgate spreader but don't need anything above 300 lbs.

Any suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HeavyHitch1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	519.6 KB 
ID:	505698
    2017 1025R TLB - 12" Bucket - 55 Amp Alternator - Engine Block Heater - Curtis Premium Cab w/heater - 54" Quick-Connect Snow Thrower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 AM
    Thanks
    No matter what you do the salt will eventually eat it up.Polly would be you lightest option.Check your local truck equipment supplier.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortstuff View Post
    Got to use my tractor w/54" snowblower for the first time this morning. Only had 4 to 5 inches but it was a wet heavy snow and the chute clogged up a few times.
    Were you running the blower at full throttle (PTO speed) at all times? I've used my 54" blower on everything from fluffy snow, wet heavy stuff to literally slush and I've never had a clog. I always run the blower with the RPMs at the indicated PTO mark.

My driveway is 650' long and I am going to have to get a salt/sand spreader for my tractor. There's a fairly good grade (up) leaving the end of the driveway into the street. I did my site search and searched the web and discovered there are a LOT of different brands out there, Meyer, Western, Fisher, Boss, SnowEx, SaltDogg, Earthway, etc. My 1025 has the 54" snowblower, Curtis Cab and a Heavy Hitch suitcase weight attachment on my 3-point hitch as you can see in the picture below. Because it has the 2" receiver, I want to get a tailgate spreader but don't need anything above 300 lbs.

Any of the dedicated sand/salt spreaders should work well. As you've probably seen they can be a bit pricey. I would avoid trying to adapt a standard lawn spreader for sand/salt duty. Are you sure you really need to spread sand/salt? They can really go through a ton of material during a winter. Perhaps after you finish with the blower swapping over to a front blade for final clean up. Or... use a rear blade in conjunction with the blower. That's what I do. I have gravel so I blow the snow while leaving a thin layer so I don't get any gravel. Then I go back with the blade and scrape it bare so it will melt out. A 5-foot rear blade will still give you 200-250 lbs. of rear weight.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 09:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Were you running the blower at full throttle (PTO speed) at all times? I've used my 54" blower on everything from fluffy snow, wet heavy stuff to literally slush and I've never had a clog. I always run the blower with the RPMs at the indicated PTO mark.

Any of the dedicated sand/salt spreaders should work well. As you've probably seen they can be a bit pricey. I would avoid trying to adapt a standard lawn spreader for sand/salt duty. Are you sure you really need to spread sand/salt? They can really go through a ton of material during a winter. Perhaps after you finish with the blower swapping over to a front blade for final clean up. Or... use a rear blade in conjunction with the blower. That's what I do. I have gravel so I blow the snow while leaving a thin layer so I don't get any gravel. Then I go back with the blade and scrape it bare so it will melt out. A 5-foot rear blade will still give you 200-250 lbs. of rear weight.
    I had to run the throttle at 3200 rpm today because the snow was so wet and heavy. And yes I definitely need a dedicated salt spreader. I think I may go with either the Boss or Meyer brand.
    2017 1025R TLB - 12" Bucket - 55 Amp Alternator - Engine Block Heater - Curtis Premium Cab w/heater - 54" Quick-Connect Snow Thrower

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    I had to run the throttle at 3200 rpm today because the snow was so wet and heavy. And yes I definitely need a dedicated salt spreader. I think I may go with either the Boss or Meyer brand.
    I was looking at the smallest model Meyer makes for the back of my Wrangler. If I still had a need for one that's what I would buy.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HeavyHitch1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	519.6 KB 
ID:	505698
    I've had my front mount snow blower clog in shallower/wet snow also. I even spray my chute with snow blower chute non-clog spray and it still clogged at times.

Now, this only happens with snow that is not very deep and is wet (not fluffy) snow. Mostly when the blower isn't getting fed a sufficient enough snow to keep a steady flow of snow going out the chute.

I personally have concluded, the snow blower is for deeper, dry snows. All other snows, I use my broom for snows up to about 3" and above that, the front blade up to about 6". I also usually hang my box blade on the 3 point to pull the snow away from my garage doors. The box blade works OK for just pulling the snow away from the doors. I wouldn't want to use it to plow long distances.
    wildbranch2007 likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post

I have had problems with my snow blower clogging in less deep, wet snow. Do you do anything special to keep yours from clogging. I run mine at PTO RPM.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    I have had problems with my snow blower clogging in less deep, wet snow. Do you do anything special to keep yours from clogging. I run mine at PTO RPM.
    Not really. I've driven through everything from 30" of packed drifted snow that was coming back over the top of the blower housing to a few inches of heavy wet goo along the side of the road and have never had the chute clog. Other than repainting the inside of my chute after each season I don't do anything special.
    Ray_PA likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    One thing that I do when we have a wet heavy snow is hold off from using the snow blower until early the next morning. By that time, the overnight cold temperatures have dried out the moisture in the snow.

Dave
    Shortstuff likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Manager View Post
    One thing that I do when we have a wet heavy snow is hold off from using the snow blower until early the next morning. By that time, the overnight cold temperatures have dried out the moisture in the snow.

Dave
    Sunday was a similar plan, but it was get out before it warms up. My ground was just frozen enough to only get minor damage. The snow was dry and blew well. Then I watched my neighbors put as much mud through their walk behinds as snow, with regular stops for clogs.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast