Like Tree70Likes

Thread: first "storm" and I got to use my blower and 102r .... now questions

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks

first "storm" and I got to use my blower and 102r .... now questions

Okay it happen finally snow!!!

We had our first "storm" maybe 5" at most but it was snow and I got to use my new tractor and 54" snowblower.. (okay a little overkill for this storm)

I have additive in but don't know if i needed it or not but tractor started right up.

When i started i placed the snowblower down in free leveling ( but maybe not?) as it lifted the front up enough that the front wheels wouldn't steer. Any helpful comments?

It was fun and then when i backed up it quit. (didn't read enough) this becomes a pain so I am sure someone has a work around as i don't think its wrong to want to keep the blower pto at speed going while back up a bit to turn right? I hated having to reduce down to 1500 engage pto then back to high and then back and forth

Overall with turf tires and #400 no chains it went very well.

When i put it away it was filled with snow.... Humm so i tried to clear it out and blow out some but wondering if there is a better way to clear it as i don't want it to stay or melt and then maybe freeze and then it wont work? Any ideas from you veterans of storms with your 1025 o

It is because of this board I got the 1025 and the mowing this summer was nothing but fun and so easy... now the winter is starting and first impression you all steered me right!!!

If you have any other helpful ideas please let me know and thanks again eveyone
    Levi, jdmich, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

2017 1025R with turf tires
    H120 FEL with 53" Bucket Quick Change
    54" Autoconnect Mower, mulch kit and hyd mower lift
    54" Quick-Hitch Two Stage Snow Blower Hyd Rotator with Remote Spout Cap kit
    Ballast box with tubes
    IMatch
    Engine blanket
    LED lights
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks and rear hitch
    Country Time/Tarter 48" Tiller
    Titan carriage & 42" forks

PS Everyone knows what a 1025R looks like so my Avatar is a picture of my two girls!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFRet View Post
    When i started i placed the snowblower down in free leveling ( but maybe not?) as it lifted the front up enough that the front wheels wouldn't steer. Any helpful comments?
    It sounds like you pushed the SCV control forward but didn't push it far enough to "click" into the float position. As a result, the blower will lower just enough to raise the front wheels off the ground.

It was fun and then when i backed up it quit. (didn't read enough) this becomes a pain so I am sure someone has a work around as i don't think its wrong to want to keep the blower pto at speed going while back up a bit to turn right? I hated having to reduce down to 1500 engage pto then back to high and then back and forth
    Yes, RIO is a pain. Normally the way to keep it running is to pull up on the PTO switch while backing up. I also thought the 1-series had a sensor up front to prevent this. Perhaps someone with a 1-series can give the details.

When i put it away it was filled with snow.... Humm so i tried to clear it out and blow out some but wondering if there is a better way to clear it as i don't want it to stay or melt and then maybe freeze and then it wont work? Any ideas from you veterans of storms with your 1025 o
    You definitely want to clear all the snow away from the auger and impeller. Otherwise it can freeze and become ice which can cause problems trying to engage. You can use a small broom if you have one. I use one of those little plastic long handled scraper tools like comes with most new snow blowers. It lets me get in and remove all the snow around the auger, housing and chute.

https://www.amazon.com/MTD-Genuine-A...ow+blower+tool

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scraper.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	505746

For $14 you might want to get one of these and keep it mounted right on the snow blower for cleanup and removing any clogs.
    Last edited by jgayman; 12-10-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    pappa, Levi, jdmich and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFRet View Post
    Okay it happen finally snow!!!

We had our first "storm" maybe 5" at most but it was snow and I got to use my new tractor and 54" snowblower.. (okay a little overkill for this storm)

I have additive in but don't know if i needed it or not but tractor started right up.

Overall with turf tires and #400 no chains it went very well.

It is because of this board I got the 1025 and the mowing this summer was nothing but fun and so easy... now the winter is starting and first impression you all steered me right!!!

If you have any other helpful ideas please let me know and thanks again eveyone
    You have to put it in float position.When you lower it push the lever a little farther you'll feel it go a little farther that is float.

RIO switch kicked it out

I use a leaf blower to get most of the snow off before I bring it in.

I use additive in the winter due to it can sit for a few weeks before it runs again.This time of the year condensation is a problem with temp ranges.
    Levi, Ray_PA, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,345 Times in 2,614 Posts
    A few notes.

1. Make sure to have the front PTO sensor plugged into disable the RIO feature.
    2. Use "float on your loader joystick. Push forward to lower the implement to the ground, then push forward more until the stick snaps into float. Ty this for the first time with the engine not running to get a feel of how the stick feels and works.
    3. Make sure to have adequate ballast on the rear to counteract the weight of the blower for more control and traction.

It only gets better and better!
    Levi, Ray_PA, Jeff B and 3 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    I use a leaf blower to get most of the snow off before I bring it in.
    Your snow must stay very fluffy. I find that the snow that collects on the inside of the blower housing and front hitch areas becomes packed hard and solid and requires a bit of work to dislodge it. The same applies to the rear blade, I have to literally scrape off the snow that is sticking to the surfaces.
    Levi, PJR832 and USAFRet like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks

thanks

I am going to go out and try pushing it forward for the click. (I don't think i did that so i am sure it was the reason it was pushing down so much)

The dealer set it up so I thought it would have been plugged in. I will also check on that.

thanks for the advice... and i took the tool off my snowblower to use which is the same one you show in the picture.
    jgayman, Levi and PJR832 like this.

2017 1025R with turf tires
    H120 FEL with 53" Bucket Quick Change
    54" Autoconnect Mower, mulch kit and hyd mower lift
    54" Quick-Hitch Two Stage Snow Blower Hyd Rotator with Remote Spout Cap kit
    Ballast box with tubes
    IMatch
    Engine blanket
    LED lights
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks and rear hitch
    Country Time/Tarter 48" Tiller
    Titan carriage & 42" forks

PS Everyone knows what a 1025R looks like so my Avatar is a picture of my two girls!!!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Your snow must stay very fluffy. I find that the snow that collects on the inside of the blower housing and front hitch areas becomes packed hard and solid and requires a bit of work to dislodge it. The same applies to the rear blade, I have to literally scrape off the snow that is sticking to the surfaces.
    Key word is most.
    Levi and PJR832 like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-17-2019 @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    Try some spray silicone or anti-stick cooking spray to help the keep snow from sticking so much.

Got hardly 1" the other day - never been so disappointed to not get snow - HA!

This will be first winter with my 1025R, at this property. Might have to go out and 'practice' anyway
    Levi, SulleyBear, TJR345 and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 1025R FILB, BB2048L, RC2048, Edge Tamers, King Kutter TG-48-XB, 60" Back Blade, Exmark Laser Z 60"

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Now is also a good time to learn about your blower's shear bolts in the auger. I know on the older 47" Two Stage throwers, they put spare auger shear bolts right on the blower, near the chute in the bottom of the bracket if i recall. Sooner or later you will shear a bolt, especially with the ice that can form and basically, the bolt breaks off and allows the auger shaft to rotate within the auger, without spinning the auger itself.

The bolts are very easy to replace. You just rotate the auger which isn't spinning by hand and find the bolt head or empty hole as sometimes when the shear bolts break, they will fall out completely, other time, the head of the bolt shears off and the bolt body remains in the shaft. When that happens, just use a pointed tool or a small screw driver and push out the piece of the sheared bolt and replace it.

Make sure you replace the shear bolts with another bolt designed and of the proper grade to shear to avoid damaging the auger or other items in the blower. You can use the spares with the blower or get them through Deere. If you can't find the spare bolts, buy some very "soft' basic bolts of the same head markings on the existing shear bolts as the head markings indicate the bolt grade.

That means NO Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolts, and use the softest bolts available at the hardware store. Don't buy stainless or any special plating or finished bolts anything else, buy the very basic soft bolts so they fail when needed.......

Sooner or later, you will break a shear bolt so being familiar with it before hand makes the repair less stressful and something you are prepared for. I broke my first shear bolt when I ran the 2nd phone book through my blower. The phone book people had delivered them and threw them near everyone's mailbox and I picked up two in one storm. The first was near the base of the mail box and the next one was actually in another neighbors driveway. The first book made it through the blower and man was that a mess to clean up with paper everywhere. The binding stayed intact, but it shredded the pages. After eating the first phone book, apparently it didn't have the appetite for the 2nd one which sheared the bolts.

Also, it goes without saying but I am going to say it anyways.

NEVER clear any objects from the snowblower with the tractor running
    , even if the PTO is not engaged. Be safe and shut everything down and then clear the obstruction or repair the shear bolt. The PTO switch is an electric switch and despite the safety features built into the tractor, if something failed and the PTO somehow engaged while you were with your hands in the snow blower, it would be all over.............

What are the odds of the items failing and allowing the PTO to engage without you on the seat and with the switch off? Very high, but I still make it a point to not do such things and would rather be safe. Age brings wisdom after a youth of breaking more bones that I care to count.......

Glad you are enjoying your new tractor.........I am using my 1025R for the first real plowing of the season, we ended up with about 15" to 16"total and have posted my thoughts in another thread in the SCUT thread....
    Levi, Ray_PA, TJR345 and 1 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,345 Times in 2,614 Posts
    Sully, I was pretty surprised to find out a lot of shear bolts JD uses are GRADE 5. Yup, grade 5. I quit saying to use grade 2 bolts after I found this out. Every manufacturer uses different standards, so you may never know. Check your OM.

To the OP, make sure to have a supply of the correct shear bolts on hand, whatever they may be.
    Levi, Ray_PA, tj1 and 4 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast