Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Removing suitcase weights

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 03:54 PM
    Thanks

Removing suitcase weights

I have a X738 with a cat 1 3pt hitch. Plus I have a heavy hitch attached to my 3pt hitch. I am currently using 8 - 42# suitcase weights on my heavy hitch. During the winter, I plan, actually hope, to use my blade more than my snowblower. My questions are theses:
    1. Should I remove my suitcase weights between uses? (I wonder if this amount of weight is bad for the axle or something else while just sitting in my shed)
    2. I do have a rear weight bracket that I am not using. I could remove my 3 pt hitch and heavy hitch and use my rear weight bracket if that would be recommended?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,309 Posts
    You don't need to remove them each time, just drop your 3 point to take the pressure off.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orono View Post
    I have a X738 with a cat 1 3pt hitch. Plus I have a heavy hitch attached to my 3pt hitch. I am currently using 8 - 42# suitcase weights on my heavy hitch. During the winter, I plan, actually hope, to use my blade more than my snowblower. My questions are theses:
    1. Should I remove my suitcase weights between uses? (I wonder if this amount of weight is bad for the axle or something else while just sitting in my shed)
    2. I do have a rear weight bracket that I am not using. I could remove my 3 pt hitch and heavy hitch and use my rear weight bracket if that would be recommended?
    If the rear weight bracket is the one which bolts to the frame, similar to the one I have on my 455, I think the limit of suitcase weights it will hold is between 4 to 6 of the 42 pound weights.

A benefit of the weight bracket verses the 3 point hitch and heavy hitch bracket is the bolt on weight bracket is much closer to the rear of the tractor and gives you less sticking out from the back of the tractor. If you get into tight areas in the driveway or near a vehicle or building, having less length sticking out of the rear of the tractor can be helpful.

Have you used the plow with that much weight (8 of the 42 # weights) on the rear of your x738? I would think you would be near the point of making the front of the tractor light, which will cause the front steering wheels to slide more easily.

Keep in mind that the blade is a lot lighter than the blower so you may not need as much ballast on the rear. Generally one or two more weights isn't a problem, but I have gotten my 455 to the point where too much weight on the rear made the front too light and the steering wasn't as good.

If you have ever used the "Float" function on either your blade or blower, you will know what I am talking about with the front wheels sliding instead of turning in certain situations and conditions.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 12-14-2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added content
    Levi, orono and Robnik like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    Try it with all the weights on it. If the front end is too light just start removing weights until you find the proper balance. To me there is no need to remove the 3pt and heavy hitch. When I used to plow snow with JD 400 (same size as your X series but about 3-4 generations older) I had 4 weights on the back of it and it was fine. Removing the draft arms is kind of a pain and unless you have tight spaces like previously mentioned I would leave them on.

You will probably find if you put a set of chains on it and leave some weights you will have the best available traction but it all depends on what kind of snow you get. Since you list MN as your location I am going to bet you have your blower on for most of the winter. Come on down to NC if you want to escape the majority of that white stuff...
    Levi, BigJim55, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,070 Posts
    I can only answer about my 1026. In the winter months most of the time I have 8 suitcase weights on the back 3PH. When I park it in our garage I leave the 3PH in the up position. It doesn't leak down and doesn't hurt it. So there are times the weight on the back is in the up position for a couple months. No problem.
    BigJim55, orono, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1Ĺ" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:30 PM
    Thanks
    With my 1025r in the winter I have eight 42 pound weights on my Heavy Hitch. I lower the three point each time I park it. During the summer months I can have eight 70 pound weights plus the eight 42 pound weights. I lower the 3 point if itís not going to sit but for a couple days. Otherwise Iíll slide the Heavy Hitch cart into the hitch and lower the 3 pt until the cart carries the weight. Either way it shouldnít hurt the 3 pt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    If the rear weight bracket is the one which bolts to the frame, similar to the one I have on my 455, I think the limit of suitcase weights it will hold is between 4 to 6 of the 42 pound weights.

A benefit of the weight bracket verses the 3 point hitch and heavy hitch bracket is the bolt on weight bracket is much closer to the rear of the tractor and gives you less sticking out from the back of the tractor. If you get into tight areas in the driveway or near a vehicle or building, having less length sticking out of the rear of the tractor can be helpful.

Have you used the plow with that much weight (8 of the 42 # weights) on the rear of your x738? I would think you would be near the point of making the front of the tractor light, which will cause the front steering wheels to slide more easily.

Keep in mind that the blade is a lot lighter than the blower so you may not need as much ballast on the rear. Generally one or two more weights isn't a problem, but I have gotten my 455 to the point where too much weight on the rear made the front too light and the steering wasn't as good.

If you have ever used the "Float" function on either your blade or blower, you will know what I am talking about with the front wheels sliding instead of turning in certain situations and conditions.
    I have used the float position when using my blade with all 8 weights (overkill so far but I'm relatively new to this tractor ownership). Before I figured out how to use float I was experiencing my front wheels were coming up off of the ground. Yes I had some sliding then. I would like to keep my 3pt hitch on to move my snowmobile trailer this winter. Yes the 3pt makes it longer but I do not have many tight areas that I need to worry about. By the way, I think your Mauser cab sounds fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I can only answer about my 1026. In the winter months most of the time I have 8 suitcase weights on the back 3PH. When I park it in our garage I leave the 3PH in the up position. It doesn't leak down and doesn't hurt it. So there are times the weight on the back is in the up position for a couple months. No problem.
    I tried to get my 3PH into the optimal position and keep it "there" for the winter. I'm not having very good luck with that. Once I put the 3PH at the height I want it to be, I closed the SCV (I think this is what is may be called) underneath the tractor. But when I went out and used my blade, I put the tractor back into my shed and the 3PH was in the down position. Any suggestions? Am I not understanding how to do this correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by cheesetrain View Post
    With my 1025r in the winter I have eight 42 pound weights on my Heavy Hitch. I lower the three point each time I park it. During the summer months I can have eight 70 pound weights plus the eight 42 pound weights. I lower the 3 point if itís not going to sit but for a couple days. Otherwise Iíll slide the Heavy Hitch cart into the hitch and lower the 3 pt until the cart carries the weight. Either way it shouldnít hurt the 3 pt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good idea to lower the 3PH at the end of the use. I did that when I had my mower on it this past summer. As I mentioned above, I had hoped to "set it and forget it." But I do not think I am doing something correct.
    PJR832 likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:33 PM
    Thanks
    What I do on my X595 with Heavy Hitch is raise it all the way up,close the bypass valve,turn the depth gauge screw in.This takes the pressure off the hydro cylinder and keeps it in the up position.I don't have a Deere 3pt but the silver thread on the left in the pic is the depth adjustment,yours will have the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0561.JPG
    Levi, BigJim55, orono and 1 others like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    What I do on my X595 with Heavy Hitch is raise it all the way up,close the bypass valve,turn the depth gauge screw in.This takes the pressure off the hydro cylinder and keeps it in the up position.I don't have a Deere 3pt but the silver thread on the left in the pic is the depth adjustment,yours will have the same.
    Thank you all for your comments.

TJR345, I will look for the depth screw and turn it in as you suggest.
    Levi, BigJim55, TJR345 and 1 others like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks
    No and no . Just watch backing up to the garage door .

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast