Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Any Hawaii Tractor Owners Here? - Need Advice

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 04:25 PM
    Thanks

Any Hawaii Tractor Owners Here? - Need Advice

It's always a puzzle getting large/heavy items to Hawaii. In the best of situations it is still a major part of the total cost if it is not already sold here - or if only sold by one dealer. I managed to save almost $6000 on my 1025 TLB buying it in Calif. and shipping it here. But my local dealer is less than happy trying to fix a persistent problem with my backhoe - but that's another story.

Now I'm looking for a 48" PTO tiller for my 1025. Nobody stocks them here, and the very few outlets that say they can get them have only "house brand names" - and they aren't really excited about ordering any of them for me.

My JD dealer will sell me a new 647 for $3600 plus tax and a 6 week wait.

And I can get a 48" King Kutter for around $1200-1300 online - but it's $400 to get it to the West Coast, dropped at a shipping company's dock, and then another $500+ to get it to my island. So $2500 if I'm lucky. None of the "big" farm suppliers seem to ship freight items direct to Hawaii.

I thought I would ask if anyone here is from Hawaii and found a better way of buying tractor accessories/attachments.
    Last edited by konakid; 12-16-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    Gizmo2, Levi, OxPath and 9 others like this.
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Artiliian Forks and Dolly
    Back Hoe
    BXpanded Thumb and BH Dolly
    x300

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 09:05 AM
    Thanks
    Those off brand tillers are made in China. If you end up trying one of those you might be able to get one cheaper by having it shipped directly from China.
    BigJim55, Robnik and rw580 like this.
    2015 1025R FILB, iMatch, 53" Bucket, 54D Mower Deck, 54" Snow Blower, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Bracket, Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bracket, EA 48" Plugger, Garber 48" 3 point Seeder, Kens bolt on hooks, CountyLine (Tarter Gate) 60" box blade, Kenda Terra Trac HDAP tires (front and rear), CozyCab Sunshade, TSC CountyLine (Tarter) 48" yellow rototiller, BXPanded 25 gallon 3PH sprayer.

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,103 Times in 3,025 Posts
    For the most part I think I'd like to live in Hawaii but that has to be a PITA konakid.
    Levi, OxPath, Ray_PA and 6 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Is there even anyone else living in Hawaii that has a tractor besides you?
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    To answer the above questions.
    - I haven't found a way to order anything directly from China. Alibaba usually wants mega-quantity. Those vendors offering lower quantities charge even more for shipping, and vetting them for trustworthiness is impossible. And then there is a language barrier. Sending away a large sum of money, with no recourse if problems, doesn't seem like a great idea.
    - There are lots of farms here - on my island (the Big Island) there are many coffee farms, cattle/horse ranches, and smaller ag projects. There is one JD and one Kubota dealer here - but very limited inventory - everything is order and wait - and not much incentive for them to work with you on price. In fact, getting a call back is never a guarantee.
    - And yes, finding and getting large heavy "one at a time" items is the biggest PITA with living here. But obviously I determined the pluses outweigh this downside. Now that Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, and Costco are within 10 mins, all the normal necessities are easy to find and with reasonable pricing, considering where we are.
    - And used equipment is rare and pricey, since there is demand for reasonably priced decent equipment. Below is a rare offering. First tiller I have seen in 3 months of looking. But $1100 for the tiller and $600 for the mower.....? I'm not a mechanical miracle worker - I couldn't even take them for free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tiller1.jpg   tiller 2.jpg  
    Last edited by konakid; 12-17-2017 at 03:36 PM.
    Levi, Tractor Tim, raco232 and 2 others like this.
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Back Hoe
    x300

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by konakid View Post
    To answer the above questions.
    - I haven't found a way to order anything directly from China. Alibaba usually wants mega-quantity. Those vendors offering lower quantities charge even more for shipping, and vetting them for trustworthiness is impossible. And then there is a language barrier. Sending away a large sum of money, with no recourse if problems, doesn't seem like a great idea.
    - There are lots of farms here - on my island (the Big Island) there are many coffee farms, cattle/horse ranches, and smaller ag projects. There is one JD and one Kubota dealer here - but very limited inventory - everything is order and wait - and not much incentive for them to work with you on price. In fact, getting a call back is never a guarantee.
    - And yes, finding and getting large heavy "one at a time" items is the biggest PITA with living here. But obviously I determined the pluses outweigh this downside. Now that Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, and Costco are within 10 mins, all the normal necessities are easy to find and with reasonable pricing, considering where we are.
    - And used equipment is rare and pricey, since there is demand for reasonably priced decent equipment. Below is a rare offering. First tiller I have seen in 3 months of looking. But $1100 for the tiller and $600 for the mower. I'm not a mechanical miracle worker - I couldn't even take them for free.
    Agree with you on the tiller, by I would take a look at that rotary mower. I suspect it would be fine.
    Levi and rw580 like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tractor Tim View Post
    Agree with you on the tiller, by I would take a look at that rotary mower. I suspect it would be fine.
    That was just another example. The rain and salt air here really do a job on metal. I would expect it is worse than it looks underneath.

I have a x300 for my limited mowing.
    Levi, bvbearcat and rw580 like this.
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Back Hoe
    x300

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by konakid View Post
    It's always a puzzle getting large/heavy items to Hawaii. In the best of situations it is still a major part of the total cost if it is not already sold here - or if only sold by one dealer. I managed to save almost $6000 on my 1025 TLB buying it in Calif. and shipping it here. But my local dealer is less than happy trying to fix a persistent problem with my backhoe - but that's another story.

Now I'm looking for a 48" PTO tiller for my 1025. Nobody stocks them here, and the very few outlets that say they can get them have only "house brand names" - and they aren't really excited about ordering any of them for me.

My JD dealer will sell me a new 647 for $3600 plus tax and a 6 week wait.

And I can get a 48" King Kutter for around $1200-1300 online - but it's $400 to get it to the West Coast, dropped at a shipping company's dock, and then another $500+ to get it to my island. So $2500 if I'm lucky. None of the "big" farm suppliers seem to ship freight items direct to Hawaii.

I thought I would ask if anyone here is from Hawaii and found a better way of buying tractor accessories/attachments.
    From the looks of that rusted junk. You would be better off buying new from the JD dealership. After a major purchase they will be more likely to want and help you with other problems. Plus tiller would have great resale value should you ever want to sell it.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    From the looks of that rusted junk. You would be better off buying new from the JD dealership. After a major purchase they will be more likely to want and help you with other problems. Plus tiller would have great resale value should you ever want to sell it.
    Maybe even this --- I'm thinking (since I've been tossing around the idea of upsizing to a 2032) - and since there is a special of a free implement in effect - of asking if the dealer might be a bit more inclined to configure a deal for me on a new tractor, loader, backhoe, tiller, and forks. Depending on what I could get for the present tractor (60 hours, garaged and like new), backhoe, loader, forks, dollies, and an older pickup I'm not using anymore, maybe my payments wouldn't be that much more. I may be able to get close to what I paid for them - if I find the right buyer. I can be patient.

Thanks to you guys around here, it's hard not to lust after the bigger/better/newer.

Couple of questions please:
    - if I got an iMatch and JD tiller, would it switch over easily (from a 1025) to a 2032?
    - how about the Artillian forks?
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Back Hoe
    x300

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,149 Times in 2,588 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot-five View Post
    Those off brand tillers are made in China. If you end up trying one of those you might be able to get one cheaper by having it shipped directly from China.

I’m pretty sure the King Kutters are made in the USA.
    Levi, bvbearcat and rw580 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast