Like Tree55Likes

Thread: BigToolRack vs Ballast Box w/ PVC tool holders

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:43 PM
    Thanks

BigToolRack vs Ballast Box w/ PVC tool holders

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the utility of the BigToolRack 3 pt attachment versus a ballast box with inset PVC pipes that can carry certain tools. This is for my 1025R.

I currently have a ballast box full of gravel that I was going to put PVC into. I would ideally carry a rake, a shovel, and a chainsaw and lengths of chain around if it made sense.

Any users of BigToolRack that also have a ballast box?

Does BigToolRack provide enough ballast without anything in it for safe loader operations?

Those of you using BigToolRack, what are the pros and cons of this attachment? Things it does well, things it lacks?

Thanks
    keane, Robnik and PJR832 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jermedic View Post
    Does BigToolRack provide enough ballast without anything in it for safe loader operations?
    I doubt very much that you'll get the BTR up to 600+ lbs. which is what is required for safe loader operation.

Those of you using BigToolRack, what are the pros and cons of this attachment? Things it does well, things it lacks?
    I don't have a BTR but it would seem that a ballast box is weight first with left over space for some tool storage whereas the BTR is primarily a storage rack only with minimal weight gains.
    keane, Robnik, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Thanks
    I agree. The ballast box is needed, despite getting the BTR or not. I have the pvc in my ballast box. Handy, but doesnt make up for having a tool box. The pvc is handy for taking a few things along with you, but for tree or yard work, I think the BTR would be pretty cool. I guess Im trying to say I dont see them as the same, two different implements for different purposes.
    keane, Drifterbike, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72 rear blade
    Frontier 60 box blade
    Frontier 65 tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60 landplane
    Frontier 42 pallet forks
    Frontier 72 RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOHs bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yank For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike(01-08-2018), jermedic(12-18-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    02-02-2019 @ 10:06 AM
    Thanks
    I'm a YUGE fan of the PVC tubes in the ballast box. When not using the ballast box, you can store the 3pt arms in the tubes. When you are using the ballast box, you can store rakes and such in them. But be aware, the rakes inevitably wind up at the height of your face. You need to be careful when walking in the area of the BB.

Note: In this photo, the BB is NOT connected to the tractor, just to be ahead of any confusion. I think it had just been rolled up in preparation for attaching.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	20170924_142259.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	511561
    Chris - 3720 TLB

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-30-2019 @ 12:15 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    I agree. The ballast box is needed, despite getting the BTR or not. I have the pvc in my ballast box. Handy, but doesnt make up for having a tool box. The pvc is handy for taking a few things along with you, but for tree or yard work, I think the BTR would be pretty cool. I guess Im trying to say I dont see them as the same, two different implements for different purposes.
    Hey guys just saw this and wanted to set the record straight. The Bigtoolrack weighs in at about 300LBS by itself the suitcase weight bracket will hold 6 of the 42-Lb John Deere Suitcase weights which would put the total weight at 552LBS then you can put up to 600LBS in the rack itself so in essence you could have up to 1152 pound of counter weight. I hope this helps. Bigtoolrack gives you the counterweight you need, securely carries your tools, and gives you the ability to tow a trailer once attached, and a large cargo area to carry anything else you may need to work on your property, basically all of the things I wanted to be able to do with my tractor but could not with out this rack. See pic using the suitcase weight bracket on the Bigtoolrack.

Have a great night guys.
    I am here if you need me proud to be a member of GTT

Name:	BTR Imatch ballast JD weights.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	525266Click image for larger version.

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	525274

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BIGTOOLRACK For This Useful Post:

jgayman(01-09-2018), rkstreet(08-27-2019), rowdy*rodney(01-10-2018)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGTOOLRACK View Post
    Hey guys just saw this and wanted to set the record straight. The Bigtoolrack weighs in at about 300LBS by itself the suitcase weight bracket will hold 6 of the 42-Lb John Deere Suitcase weights which would put the total weight at 552LBS then you can put up to 600LBS in the rack itself so in essence you could have up to 1152 pound of counter weight. I hope this helps. Bigtoolrack gives you the counterweight you need, securely carries your tools, and gives you the ability to tow a trailer once attached, and a large cargo area to carry anything else you may need to work on your property, basically all of the things I wanted to be able to do with my tractor but could not with out this rack. See pic using the suitcase weight bracket on the Bigtoolrack.

Have a great night guys.
    I am here if you need me proud to be a member of GTT

Name:	BTR Imatch ballast JD weights.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	525266Click image for larger version.

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	525274
    Thanks for clarifying

Cool design! Now where to get those suitcase weights without spending a big chunk of change...

Notice on your website the XPHD is mentioned suitable for subcompacts, and the ultimate BTR seems to be pictured more often with the larger tractors. Does the 1025R get adequate ground clearance with the BTR and the caster wheels?
    HomesteadJoe, Yank and PM like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for clarifying

Cool design! Now where to get those suitcase weights without spending a big chunk of change...

Notice on your website the XPHD is mentioned suitable for subcompacts, and the ultimate BTR seems to be pictured more often with the larger tractors. Does the 1025R get adequate ground clearance with the BTR and the caster wheels?
    Thank you for your interest. As far as the XPHD and the Original unit they are both suitable for compact and sub compact tractors. Ground clearance on the 1025R with the wheels all the way up is not an issue at all. I sell the original to X700 owners and they are much lower to the ground, look at the gallery and reviews page on my site. Now as for the suitcase weights believe it or not you can get them at home depot online delivered to your door for for 67.25 each still not cheap but they will deliver them right to your door. They use the sell them for 55.00 each delivered. But I am sure they realized that the freight is always and issue and unfortunately an unavoidable cost. I include the freight when I ship my racks it is a 300 pound over-sized item that often needs a lift-gate not cheap to ship lift-gate alone usually adds 75.00 and freight can range from 225 up to and over 400 sometimes all depends on where it is going..... but like I said I include it some times you win sometimes you loose but no one wants to see the big freight bill that is why most companies include it. Sorry for the long winded message I hope this answers your questions.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you for your interest. As far as the XPHD and the Original unit they are both suitable for compact and sub compact tractors. Ground clearance on the 1025R with the wheels all the way up is not an issue at all. I sell the original to X700 owners and they are much lower to the ground, look at the gallery and reviews page on my site. Now as for the suitcase weights believe it or not you can get them at home depot online delivered to your door for for 67.25 each still not cheap but they will deliver them right to your door. They use the sell them for 55.00 each delivered. But I am sure they realized that the freight is always and issue and unfortunately an unavoidable cost. I include the freight when I ship my racks it is a 300 pound over-sized item that often needs a lift-gate not cheap to ship lift-gate alone usually adds 75.00 and freight can range from 225 up to and over 400 sometimes all depends on where it is going..... but like I said I include it some times you win sometimes you loose but no one wants to see the big freight bill that is why most companies include it. Sorry for the long winded message I hope this answers your questions.
    Thanks! What is the tongue weight limit for the 2" receiver on the original BTR?

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks! What is the tongue weight limit for the 2" receiver on the original BTR?
    Tongue weight is not to exceed 50LBS. The intent is to use it to tow a small utility trailer or a log splitter, it can tow a lot of weight you just don't want it on the tongue. I have towed trailers with 2500 LBS in them with no issue but the weight needs to rest on the wheels of the trailer see pic from one of my customers. It's a nice feature to have I use it all of the time.
    Thanks for your interest. Have a great week.

Name:	0aMassey with the Bigtoolrack.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	526282Click image for larger version.

Name:	1aaa.jpg
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	526290

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BIGTOOLRACK For This Useful Post:

rowdy*rodney(01-10-2018)

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 11:41 AM
    Thanks
    Tongue weight is not to exceed 50LBS. The intent is to use it to tow a small utility trailer or a log splitter, it can tow a lot of weight you just don't want it on the tongue. I have towed trailers with 2500 LBS in them with no issue but the weight needs to rest on the wheels of the trailer see pic from one of my customers. It's a nice feature to have I use it all of the time.
    Thanks for your interest. Have a great week.

Name:	0aMassey with the Bigtoolrack.jpg
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	526282Click image for larger version.

Name:	1aaa.jpg
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	526290
    This looks like a great attachment. I was looking into purchasing a gator or something like that, but this should allow my tractor to take care of about anything I would use a UTV for.

I am in the process of shopping for one of these and running into a pretty wide price range, and I am not seeing any real defined model numbers to make sure what I am looking at and comparing is apples to apples.

Ie.
    I am looking at one on Ebay for 999.00 Free shipping and comparing it to one on Amazon for 1399, and also looking at one on the BTR website for 1489.00 free shipping.
    Anyone have any experience or tips for shopping for one of these racks.
    Last edited by cc1999; 08-16-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    Gizmo2 and Toughsox like this.
    My current John Deere products
    2012 X740 48" Deck with JD Bagger system
    2012 X740 60 Deck with Mulch kit
    2016 X750 54" deck with Mulch kit
    2017 3039R with Cab, and 320 loader
    2019 X758 with 54" deck and mulch kit
    2019 3033R with Cab, and 72D with Mulch kit
    2019 2038R with Loader

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements