• 1 Post By sparky978

Thread: 366 Blade/Plow Urethane Cutting Edge and other Modifications

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,553 Posts

366 Blade/Plow Urethane Cutting Edge and other Modifications

Since these blades are getting popular again now that they can be used on the new 2032/38R models, I thought I'd start a new thread for/about some helpful modifications and additions.

First up, adding a new urethane cutting edge and extension wings, I felt the blade was a bit narrow (66" wide) for my 3720, so I wanted to extend it 4" on each side. I had the urethane edge on my old #380 plow I modded to fit my old 4110, it was great! SOOO much quieter and still very effective. That thread was posted The urethane parts where purchased from Universal Urethane Products, the blade was 78" x 6" x 1" thick, and the wings 10" x 12" x 1".The longer 5/8"-11 x 3" plow bolts are from McMaster Carr, part # 90934A806

Remove the steel edge, and lay on the new one leaving 1-1/2" showing on the bottom. I also left 4" on each end since I was extending mine 8" total. The urethane material is cut easily with regular carbide tipped woodworking blades-slow and easy. Regular drill bits are used as well. Now you can drill the 5/8" or 3/4" holes about 1/2 way through, then remove the steel edge so you can lift the new edge off the floor to finish the holes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drill cutting edge.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	515001

Now you can do a test fit with the longer bolts, note you will now have to mount the steel edge upside down (another gripe: Why don't they put the holes in the middle so you can reverse it?):

Name:	IMG_5956.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	514137

Once you know all the holes will line up, insert the wing behind the steel edge-it will clamp it tightly when the lower bolt are tightened. Bend in towards the blade the best you can, this stuff is super hard to bend (it's 90 durometer for the techies) and mark/drill the two 1/2" holes from the rear:

Name:	drill extension.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	515009

Now remove the cutting edge, and mount the wings, the lower hole will be covers by the steel so you will need to use a 1/2" carriage bolt and suck it in so it's flush. Use regular 1/2" bolts on the top:

Name:	carraige bolt.jpg 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	515457

Name:	extension bolted on.jpg 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	515017

Name:	IMG_5971.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	513489

Here is top view, I am going to leave the wings and cutting edge unsupported for now and see how it acts in the snow, I have a simple plan to support them should I need to but as I wrote above, this material is really stiff and hard to bend.

Name:	extension mocked up.jpg 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	515465
    dieselshadow, jgayman, Neb and 1 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

jgayman (12-25-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Next up, the Skid Shoes:
    These series of blades (and previous models too) have an issue with the skid shoes, when the blade is straight up and down in normal use, the skids are angled forwards so only the front part is contacting the ground. The fix is quite simple, but does require a welder and some steel stock to complete properly.

(Sorry I do not have real-time shots of this mod, I seem to have lost them from when I did my old 380 blade)
    First, mount the blade on the machine and have it resting on the floor so you know it's positioned correctly. Now cut the top part of the u-shaped bracket from the weld. Then you well be able bend the top part of the bracket away from the blade, thereby making the skid shoe level with the floor:

Name:	DSC09850 (Large).jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	513417

Now you can measure the space created (should be about 3/4") and cut a new piece of steel to fit and make the two welds:

Name:	DSC09849 (Large).jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	513425

I recently bought a used 366 blade and front 3PH to put on my 3720, I fully expected to have to make this mod, but I discovered that someone (probably the selling dealer) had already done so, that just proves how well known this issue is-whey it have not been rectified in 20 years is beyond me. Here is how it was done:

Name:	IMG_5967.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	513433
    glc, dieselshadow, jgayman and 1 others like this.
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

jgayman (12-25-2017)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Last up for now, but I have a few more ideas in the works. It was 60* out today so hard to focus on a snow plow blade If you have any mods you've made to your blade please post them up to this thread.

The little kick-stand/parking-stand they put on these new blades is really nice, except for the short pin they include to use it. You have to kneel down and reach under the frame (almost blindly) to remove the hairpin, then repeat to reinstall it. What a pain in the buttocks. I did notice though that the holes are on both sides of the frame, hmmm.

Name:	IMG_5984.jpg 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	514969

So I found a long hitch pin at TSC, 5/8" x 5-3/4" usable length that would fit the bill perfectly, then I added a short piece of chain to the hairpin so as not to loose it so easily. Now you can remove and reinstall the pin without getting down on your knees.

Name:	IMG_5985.jpg 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	514977

Name:	Hitch pin.jpg 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	514985

Name:	IMG_5986.jpg 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	514993
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

jgayman (12-25-2017)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

9. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Here's the pin setup I use after living with the lynchpin and wingnut for the first few uses. I found that no matter how tight I put the wingnut, it would always get loose then the lynchpin would fall out. When that happened with the blower or broom nothing bad happened other than it getting floppy on the hitch, however with the blade, as it's under a heavy load when working, it bent the big bolt like a cheese stick. What happens is the supplied lynchpin is smaller than the hole in the bolt and A frame so it has a tendency to walk out because it allows lateral movement under use as you can't tighten it with your hand enough to lock everything in place. (after the first use I tried tightening the wingnut with channel locks, no use, they just gaff it up and it still falls apart after a short time)

Items to throw in your parts bin:
    1) Cotter pin
    2) Wingnut
    3) Lynchpin

Items to go get:
    1) Hex nut M16x2.00 (I believe but I'm going on memory here)
    2) M16 lock and SAE flat washer (SAE washers are smaller in diameter and thicker than standard flat washers)
    3) Square bail 3/8" PTO retainer pin (TSC is where I got mine)

So here's how to fix it so it will stay put.
    1) First off, mount up the implement your going to use
    2) Make sure it's centered on the A frame. (You don't want to use the bolt to draw the assembly together, this is important as if it isn't centered properly, the first time it encounters a load it will shift and center itself, then the bolt will be lose and you risk breaking parts)
    3) Get your new stuff together, the washers and nut on the bolt and the PTO pin (assembled on the bolt in this order top down: nut, lock washer, SAE washer and thick rectangular plate)
    4) Drop the bolt in from the top
    5) Slip the pin through the middle hole in the bolt, clip the bail closed
    6) Rotate the bolt so that the big end of the PTO pin is facing forward
    7) Push the bolt up with one hand so that the PTO pin is centered in the scallop cut on the bottom of the A Frame channel the bolt goes through. (Make sure it's in both front and rear cutouts)
    8) Hand tighten the nut so that there is a slight amount of tension on the pin
    9) Push the pin as forward as possible so that the big end of the pin is up against the rear face of the implement part of the A frame hitch.
    10) Tighten down the nut to a reasonable torque. (I use a standard 1/2" ratchet and snug it well, I figure it's about 30 Ft/Lbs. You have to remember that a 3/8" pin in sheer is holding this together, if you lean on the nut, you will bend or sheer the pin)
    11) If you have a lock nut, lock it down. (I have found that it's not needed and the lock washer holds it well)
    12) Stand back and admire your new setup that won't fall apart every 20 minutes like the original one does.

OK, picture time.
    First we show the pin in the proper place. Notice it's orientation, the large head up against the implement plate and centered in the scallop cuts.

Name:	a frame bolt bottom.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	516138

Second, we see the top side with the nut, lock and SAE washers on place.

Name:	a frame bolt top.JPG 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	516146
    Last edited by tomd999; 12-25-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    Kennyd and jgayman like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tomd999 For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (12-25-2017)

11. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Great post Tom, thanks! I will be doing that to mine next time I get it mounted.
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

Here's the pin setup I use after living with the lynchpin and wingnut for the first few uses. I found that no matter how tight I put the wingnut, it would always get loose then the lynchpin would fall out. When that happened with the blower or broom nothing bad happened other than it getting floppy on the hitch, however with the blade, as it's under a heavy load when working, it bent the big bolt like a cheese stick. What happens is the supplied lynchpin is smaller than the hole in the bolt and A frame so it has a tendency to walk out because it allows lateral movement under use as you can't tighten it with your hand enough to lock everything in place. (after the first use I tried tightening the wingnut with channel locks, no use, they just gaff it up and it still falls apart after a short time)

Items to throw in your parts bin:
    1) Cotter pin
    2) Wingnut
    3) Lynchpin

Items to go get:
    1) Hex nut M16x2.00 (I believe but I'm going on memory here)
    2) M16 lock and SAE flat washer (SAE washers are smaller in diameter and thicker than standard flat washers)
    3) Square bail 3/8" PTO retainer pin (TSC is where I got mine)

So here's how to fix it so it will stay put.
    1) First off, mount up the implement your going to use
    2) Make sure it's centered on the A frame. (You don't want to use the bolt to draw the assembly together, this is important as if it isn't centered properly, the first time it encounters a load it will shift and center itself, then the bolt will be lose and you risk breaking parts)
    3) Get your new stuff together, the washers and nut on the bolt and the PTO pin (assembled on the bolt in this order top down: nut, lock washer, SAE washer and thick rectangular plate)
    4) Drop the bolt in from the top
    5) Slip the pin through the middle hole in the bolt, clip the bail closed
    6) Rotate the bolt so that the big end of the PTO pin is facing forward
    7) Push the bolt up with one hand so that the PTO pin is centered in the scallop cut on the bottom of the A Frame channel the bolt goes through. (Make sure it's in both front and rear cutouts)
    8) Hand tighten the nut so that there is a slight amount of tension on the pin
    9) Push the pin as forward as possible so that the big end of the pin is up against the rear face of the implement part of the A frame hitch.
    10) Tighten down the nut to a reasonable torque. (I use a standard 1/2" ratchet and snug it well, I figure it's about 30 Ft/Lbs. You have to remember that a 3/8" pin in sheer is holding this together, if you lean on the nut, you will bend or sheer the pin)
    11) If you have a lock nut, lock it down. (I have found that it's not needed and the lock washer holds it well)
    12) Stand back and admire your new setup that won't fall apart every 20 minutes like the original one does.

OK, picture time.
    First we show the pin in the proper place. Notice it's orientation, the large head up against the implement plate and centered in the scallop cuts.

Name:	a frame bolt bottom.JPG 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	516138

Second, we see the top side with the nut, lock and SAE washers on place.

Name:	a frame bolt top.JPG 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	516146
    I just came across this thread. I agree with you about the wingnut.
    I ended up getting a KIPP tension lever. I feel I can get good torque on the pin without having to tighten that wingnut. It also is ratcheting by pulling upward and moving to a different notch.
    I also use a lock washer like you do. I am attaching a few pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0306.jpg   IMG_0308.jpg   IMG_0309.jpg  
    Kennyd likes this.
    JD 3320 CAB, 300CX FEL, 59 FRONT SNOWBLOWER, 375 BACKHOE, AP12F FORKS, 366 FRONT BLADE.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements