• 3 Post By rakane
  • 2 Post By rakane

Thread: Bucket Solutions Quick Attach Spade

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:22 PM
    Thanks

Bucket Solutions Quick Attach Spade

I bought this quick attach spade to plant our 2 live Christmas trees. In the spring I'll have 10-20 rhody plants. I'm hoping this will make my life a bit easier.

I studied another system that requires a frame in place of the loader and also their root bucket. I didn't have the cash for that very expensive system.

I'm using the spade on my 1025R.

Today was dry so I took the occasion to try out a practice run. I've not yet decided exactly where to plant my tree so off toward the burn pile I went.

First I tried the spade on a significant boulder. I wanted to play around and see if I could move the rock. I managed to work the spade under the rock but my tractor doesn't have the power to lift it. On simply backing up though I could drag the rock as it sat on the spade. With limited places to put the rock I left it in the field to await a drier time.

I then went to try digging a hole. I angled the spade in an aggressive tilt and drove it in the ground using 4x4. I could see the placement of the spade on the ground just under the loader. The area I was digging was fill from a prior owner. It is difficult to dig with the loader, there are many foot sized rocks.

I dug a hole using small bites and a combination of pushing forward and curling. It was easy to get the spade deep enough where I had to back a bit to allow curling. I had a hole large enough for our trees in no time. At this spot there is no drainage and the hole immediately started to fill with water. The muck left on the spade speaks to my bad fill soil. But this is just a practice run, the trees will be planted on a drier spot.

For planting, this spade will do what I hoped. As to a number of French drains I need I think it would be better to rent a back hoe.

The spade can be used with forks. As I don't have any yet I'll not address that factor. I was thinking it would be cool to weld this spade to a short set of forks and use it with a frame. You would have more power to lift.

I noted that after I used the 1/2" ratchet to set the bolts I did have some slight movement of the spade. I think the weight of the rock caused the spade to pull back a bit. The shop said they use a piece of rubber under the set washer, and suggested using a jar opener found in department stores. I'll have to try that. I marked in blue the distance the spade moved forward.

Randy
    Warren, OR

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Bubber, BigJim55, keane and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Thanks
    That's pretty darn cool. Where'd you get it?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    JD 3032E, D160 FEL, Beet Juice, i Match, JD Ballast Box, W R Long 4 in 1 bucket, Edge Tamers, RB2072, Ken's Bolt on Hooks, Action TrackChair ST-22, Stihl 291

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfishin View Post
    That's pretty darn cool. Where'd you get it?
    http://www.bucketsolutions.com/Quick-Attach-Spade.html

BigJim55, CADplans and Catfishin like this.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rakane For This Useful Post:

bmichael (12-24-2017), Catfishin (12-24-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    I'm sure it will be handy, but boy that sure screams "bent bucket"! Don't overdo it with that thing placing all the loader's pressure in a concentrated area of the bucket lip. If you bend your bucket you're not going to be a happy camper.

Rob
    Kbar likes this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks

Paumco Products spade

Paumco Products make something similar which will attach to the fel or slide onto pallet forks. Let us know how the bucket solutions spade works when you really get using it.
    OldmanX likes this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danthoman View Post
    Paumco Products make something similar which will attach to the fel or slide onto pallet forks. Let us know how the bucket solutions spade works when you really get using it.
    A quick update, I was digging up the prior owners buried trash (hoses, wire, plastic stuff) and used the spade. I can see the edge of the spade as I angle it down. I have to bend forward and to the side to see it but it works. My method is to take a shallow slice to remove turf, set it aside. Come back wirh progressively steepper slices. It worked very well. The dirt is very moist so as I make contact with the ground, a simple down pressure and then a slight curl will take a slice.

So far there is no issue with bending or damaging the loader blade.

balrog006, CADplans and PJR832 like this.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-01-2019 @ 04:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rakane View Post
    A quick update, I was digging up the prior owners buried trash (hoses, wire, plastic stuff) and used the spade. I can see the edge of the spade as I angle it down. I have to bend forward and to the side to see it but it works. My method is to take a shallow slice to remove turf, set it aside. Come back wirh progressively steepper slices. It worked very well. The dirt is very moist so as I make contact with the ground, a simple down pressure and then a slight curl will take a slice.

So far there is no issue with bending or damaging the loader blade.

How is this going for you now a few years on? Did it bend?
    I need to move several 8 foot arborvitae and wondering if this will save my back and not damage the tractor or FEL either
    x758,
    Front Mounted Dethatcher
    Rear Aerator
    Cart
    Lawn Stripe Kit
    25G Click-n-Go Sprayer
    Rear 3-point-Hitch and PTO
    Snowblower

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    No damage to the loader blade, but I was careful on the curling action. It helped in digging out some large rhododendrons that had been gifted.

All the plants survived.

Meanwhile is a 30' Grady White.
    mark02tj and Kbar like this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements