Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Lift lawn mower with pallet forks

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks

Lift lawn mower with pallet forks

Does anyone use pallet forks to lift a riding lawn mower to clean the deck and sharpen blades? If so what do you use as the lifting points or do you just lift one end and chock/block the wheels and set the lifted end on cinder blocks in case of a hydraulic failure? Yes, I'm a newbie. I don't even own pallet forks yet.

Dan
    KE8LW and Robnik like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,281 Posts
    It can be done but I don't think it is worth the risk just to clean the deck and sharpen blades.

You're much safer with one of these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mo-jack.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	515705
    DRobinson, Robnik, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Thanks
    My wife bought me a SkyHook for Fathers Day,, I just tie a rope to whatever is convenient,,

mark02tj, OldmanX, romcjr and 4 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-06-2019 @ 08:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danthoman View Post
    Does anyone use pallet forks to lift a riding lawn mower to clean the deck and sharpen blades? If so what do you use as the lifting points or do you just lift one end and chock/block the wheels and set the lifted end on cinder blocks in case of a hydraulic failure? Yes, I'm a newbie. I don't even own pallet forks yet.

Dan

I have picked up a Craftsman lawn mower and pulled the blades off to be sharpened. Its not a recommended practice I must say, as the hydraulics can and usually leak back just enough that will allow them to drop slowly. I actually picked it up from the back stuffing the forks back to front and most of it grabs the mower deck. As I get older and slightly wiser, next time I do this I will pick it up and lower it back down onto a set of 4 jack stands placed strategically at the rear axle near the tires and also at the spindles on the front tires. This should at least get it up high enough to safely maneuver around and get the blades off to be sharpened.

Mike
    Marlin and Robnik like this.
    - Mike Bell
    2016 - 3039r Factory cab - 84" Woods box blade , 61" FEL - I-match - 2" Receiver - loaded rear AG (R-1) tires - 59" snow blower- 48" pallet forks - 84" Power angle rear blade
    2014 - 1025r TLB
    60" auto mowing deck, titan pallet forks, 1.5" rear wheel spacers, v bar tire chains, 3 Kens Bolt on Grab Hooks and 3 attaching clevis.
    1967 round fender 110 with snow blade ( restoration in progress)
    1965 round fender 110

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 06:36 AM
    Thanks
    I loop a 10000# strap to the front weight hook and slowly lift it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marlin, Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    WHAT'S NEXT???

2000 John Deere 455
    -22HP Yanmar 3-cyl diesel
    -60" Deck
    -Field Trax Tires/Rim Guard
    -46" SnowThrower
    -QuickHitch Front Mount
    -54" Blade w/Angle Cylinder
    -38" Front Thatcher
    -Femco Cab
    -Halogen Headlight Upgrade
    -Cast Iron Rear Wheel Weights
    -Ruegg 3 point Hitch
    -iMatch Rear Hitch
    -HeavyHitch

2015 John Deere 2032R - SOLD
    1998 John Deere 345-SOLD
    2001 White GT2150-SOLD

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    I've lifted my walk behind Gravely to remove the blades from the deck. But, the deck is out front so I can get (what I feel like is) a safe distance away in case of a catastrophic failure of my FEL. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable being under the FEL working on a conventional lawn tractor with a mid mount mower.

If I had a conventional lawn tractor, I would probably rig up some sort of work stand or saw horses and use the forks to lift the lawn tractor up on to that in order to work on it. But, I'm old and probably overly cautious.
    Robnik likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    If I had a conventional lawn tractor, I would probably rig up some sort of work stand or saw horses and use the forks to lift the lawn tractor up on to that in order to work on it. But, I'm old and probably overly cautious.
    No offense but putting your lawn tractor up on saw horses to service the deck and the words "overly cautious" do not seem to go together.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (12-29-2017)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks
    I love my Country Clipper.
    spferdil and keane like this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 09:59 AM
    Thanks
    I use my tractor forks to lift the front end of my X530 all the time. If I've run over some wire or cord that I thought I would come back and pick up and now it's wrapped around the blades, I'll clear it out by lifting the front far enough to see what I'm doing and get my arm under there. I wouldn't have to do that, if it was easier to remove and reinstall the mower deck. I can remove and reinstall my backhoe faster than the mower deck on the X530. I want the Deere engineers to have to remove and reinstall the mower deck five times in a row on uneven ground (not in the lab) and ask themselves--"Is this the best we can do?" What a PITA!
    mark02tj and Robnik like this.
    4320 Tractor
    400X FEL
    485 Backhoe
    Forks, Boxblade, 550 Tiller, Auger
    X530 Mower

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the all suggestions. I have some small ramps to lift the mower but they only raise one end 7 or 8 inches which means I'll have to lay on my back to work on it. Not a good position for me. I think I'll use the forks and a chain with a jack of some sort in case the hydraulics fail. That way I won't have to be underneath it.
    mark02tj, Marlin and Robnik like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast