Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Thinking about selling my AF11F Loader mounted Snow Blade

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks

Thinking about selling my AF11F Loader mounted Snow Blade

So 2 years ago I bought my 3038E and with it, I bought a Frontier AF11F Snow Blade. I have used it for only about 3 hours total and I'm not happy with it's performance. We don't get huge amounts of snowfall here, about 40" average annually I believe. I have a gravel driveway and previously used my quad with Moose blade with great success.

I like to keep my driveway clear and with the large AF11F, anything under 3" I can't touch. I've tried fussing with the curl amount but it's like the actual geometry is off. Loader arms in float, if I curl back enough so I rest on the shoes (which are spaced full out might I add), the mount plate is lower than the cutting edge. Then I tried curling forward to move the mount plate up and them I'm constantly fiddling with the joystick (up, down) to prevent dig in and that got annoying quickly. I don't want to put a PVC tube on the cutting edge because I also plow the road along my mailbox, driveway approach and the side street intersection.

With my quad and Moose blade, I'm able to drop the blade and go. Yeah, I can't move as much as the AF11F at one time but the amount of time plowing is about the same because I'm not fighting the loader/geometry issues.

What say you GTT? Any input?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    PJR832 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 2,310 Posts
    What’s an AF11F? Front blade? Rear blade?
    JDSwan87 and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,310 Posts
    I actually had my moose plow welded on a JDQA plate. The only thing so far I’ve found I don’t like as much as plowing with the mule is the extra weight. Now that the ground has frozen it shouldn’t be as bad but man have ripped up some sod already.
    I am curious to see some responses for helpful hints on FEL mounted plowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks
    I feel there is ZERO chance that a loader arm mounted blade will make you happy,,, PERIOD.

The entire system is way too heavy for gravel,, but, it would be perfect for pavement.

I plow a gravel driveway,, in 30 years,,
    there has been only a dozen times my loader was part of the snow removal.

The trick to small snow amounts on gravel is a VERY light blade.
    Heck, there are YouTube videos of plywood blades doing a perfect job,, in 3 inches of snow.
    JDSwan87 and PJR832 like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    I feel there is ZERO chance that a loader arm mounted blade will make you happy,,, PERIOD.

The entire system is way too heavy for gravel,, but, it would be perfect for pavement.

Heck, there are YouTube videos of plywood blades doing a perfect job,, in 3 inches of snow.

It's not that it's too heavy, it's that there's too much flex in the two main loader arms. One side twists down in float, ever so slightly, and you've now buried your cutting edge.

I'm going through that same non-sense with my HLA snowpusher. I've got it about 75% resolved with custom skid shoes (4" wide on each side), I think the rubber cutting edge will bring that up to somewhere around 90%.
    PJR832 likes this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    What’s an AF11F? Front blade? Rear blade?
    Sorry for that, it it the Frontier loader mounted front blade...

coaltrain and PJR832 like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JDSwan87 For This Useful Post:

coaltrain (01-03-2018)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post

I tend to agree CADplans, I feel the blade always wants to dig in no matter what I do.

PJR832 likes this.

11. Top | #8
    Neb
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Thanks
    I agree that it takes some fussing with the loader mounted blade to get it to work well on gravel. The two things that I did with my setup to get it to work better is to add a 2" diameter steel conduit 'edge softener' and paint markings on the bucket position indicator. The conduit lets the blade scrape the small area of concrete clear but doesn't dig in the gravel drive (as long as the bucket is at the right setting). Here is a link to a description: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ml#post2505906
    I had to mark the ideal position of the bucket cylinders on the bucket position indicator because I couldn't judge from the seat what angle it was making with the ground. It did take some adjustment but it seems to work pretty well now.
    I don't know how long the thin steel of the conduit will last but it's only tack welded to the blade, so replacing it should be fairly easy.

Ken
    BigJim55, JDSwan87 and PJR832 like this.
    2007 3320 with 300CX Loader
    Piranha tooth bar
    Ken's Hooks
    5' box blade
    Forks
    Greens-Machine 'thumb'
    Titan 42" forks
    7.5 foot Meyer truck plow, loader mounted w/Ken's crossover relief valve
    72" 7 iron mid mounted deck
    Kubota post auger
    X485 with 62" deck and Ken's seat spring upgrade

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 2,310 Posts
    Plowing a gravel driveway is tough - especially before it freezes. It takes some trial and error to find the best way to do it - each of us seems to find a different implement or technique.

I remember the first few years here - many days in the spring raking gravel out of the grass.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,098 Times in 3,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
    So 2 years ago I bought my 3038E and with it, I bought a Frontier AF11F Snow Blade. I have used it for only about 3 hours total and I'm not happy with it's performance. We don't get huge amounts of snowfall here, about 40" average annually I believe. I have a gravel driveway and previously used my quad with Moose blade with great success.

I like to keep my driveway clear and with the large AF11F, anything under 3" I can't touch. I've tried fussing with the curl amount but it's like the actual geometry is off. Loader arms in float, if I curl back enough so I rest on the shoes (which are spaced full out might I add), the mount plate is lower than the cutting edge. Then I tried curling forward to move the mount plate up and them I'm constantly fiddling with the joystick (up, down) to prevent dig in and that got annoying quickly. I don't want to put a PVC tube on the cutting edge because I also plow the road along my mailbox, driveway approach and the side street intersection.

With my quad and Moose blade, I'm able to drop the blade and go. Yeah, I can't move as much as the AF11F at one time but the amount of time plowing is about the same because I'm not fighting the loader/geometry issues.

What say you GTT? Any input?
    Having a blade for your quad you know the difference. Sell it.
    ColonyPark, JDSwan87 and PJR832 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

JDSwan87 (01-03-2018)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast