Green Tractor Talk banner

54"snow blade modified to 66" scoop style blade

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  gt390 
#1 ·
I was a bit frustrated with the width of the stock John Deere 54" snow blade being too narrow, so decided to modify it to work better for my application. I am limited by a gate width that I have at the side of my property, so built it to fit through the gate, which it now works perfectly for. When the blade is angled, I no longer have snow rolling over the outside end of the blade. It also works great for a straight "push" where it acts like a scoop. I've also added reversible puck board cutting edge, which will last for years.(I've done it before on a previous snow blade) Thought I would share it in case someone would like ideas on building the same thing.:snow:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice work GT and as I posted in the other thread, I think you and I might share auto collision repair backgrounds? I'm curious what finish you used? I have used Diamont Uno single stage urethane for the JD Green seat pan of an X500 I used to have but I had to tint it to get the match I wanted. I recently ordered up a half pint of Limco JD Yellow urethane for brush touch ups but it was useless for that, too transparent.

#9 ·
Hi Joe,
Sorry for the late reply, we're obviously in different time zones. :sleep: Yes, you are correct that we share similar backgrounds. I've also tried different types of automotive paint and wasn't having much luck either. I finally ended up finding that the John Deere brand paint used with a wet on wet, two part epoxy, gives the best results. It has great coverage, fairly easy to spray and seems to stay shinny once it cures. (I did cheat and add a bit of urethane hardener) One drawback is that the painted part has to be left a few days before you handle it because of the slow drying characteristics. This paint also works great unreduced for brush touchups too, I find. You requested that I include a few pictures of my 56 Chevy pickup on the other post, so I have included. I am also currently building a 71 Chevy 2WD shortbox fleetside pickup. (Will include a few pictures of it also) I am sort of at a standstill because I can't decide whether I should go with the new LS fuel injected drivetrain or use the crate motor I have already purchased. Either way, these trucks keep me pretty busy, but I always find time to do small projects on my tractors. Not sure if I will get into trouble for posting truck pictures on a tractor website........:kidw_truck_smiley:
Tom

Attachments

#5 ·
Real nice mod gt390, looks factory after you painted it.

:bigthumb:

Reactions: Fozsey
#6 ·
Semi-U Blade

Looks an awful lot like a Semi-U blade on a bulldozer. :good2:

#8 ·
I was curious as well, I did does indeed look like hockey rink trim.

Reactions: Fozsey and PJR832
#12 ·
Tom, the trucks are gorgeous and for me, it doesn't get much better than a 69 to 72 Chevy shortbed. I did a 55 completely stock once and it's featured on a clock and calendar out in the interwebs. Its medium blue with cream roof. Last car I did for myself was a 71 Nova SS. Back to your plow, did you find a donor plow to cut uour ends from or fab them up yourself? I seem to see the break lines in the bare steel where you might have bent them yourself.

#14 ·
I had a local fab shop shear and break the pieces for me. I did the exact same type blade for a JD-LA145 tractor I had and then a quad after that, so this is the third one I've built now. They work awesome for plowing because the snow doesn't spill out the high side of the tilt on the blade. (Hope that makes sense) That used to drive me nuts having to make 1/2 passes and still leaving little trails of snow. Being about to make a straight push with the scoop action of blade comes in really handy when you want to move snow forward. I think if anyone decides to build the same thing, they will be super happy with the results.
I noticed that you commented on the R3 vrs R4 tires in the snow. I have both sets and experimented this year, the turf tires beat the R4's hand's down with the type of snow we have around here, I found. I am thinking about buying a set of HDAP tires and throwing them on the R4 rims for winter plowing next year. They look like they would work awesome to me.
I've got a few other projects I was thinking about posting, but I don't know if somebody already has? I relocated the seat rearwards on the X534 I purchased this summer because I was too tall for it, which turned out really well.
Another project that I did was on my 1025R, which I used magnets to mount a reverse light and driving lights on the ROPS using magnets. I was really happy with how it turned out too, but I don't want to post if someone else already has.

#13 ·
Really nice to meet you on here. Your plow looks perfect, but so does your fleet, your yard, your garage and your house. You seem to have a very meticulous nature. I will look forward to reading more of your contributions.

#16 ·
Will do, took some pictures this morning of lights installation, will start a new tread under 1025R section.:greentractorride:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.