• 1 Post By Mainetractorboy
  • 1 Post By martincom

Thread: Mower height adjustment knob

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-16-2019 @ 10:12 AM
    Thanks

Mower height adjustment knob

Just like the tittle says; mine moves very hard. Turning it is like an act of congress.
    And would it have everything to do with my MMM not engaging on the pins when I drive over it to lock on? Including unlocking the pin taking the deck off?
    2014 1023e John Deere
    H120 Loader
    60" Auto-connect mower deck w/JD mulching kit
    49" Frontier Tiller 1149
    47" John Deere 2 stage snow eater
    48" Titan forks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainetractorboy View Post
    Just like the tittle says; mine moves very hard. Turning it is like an act of congress.
    And would it have everything to do with my MMM not engaging on the pins when I drive over it to lock on? Including unlocking the pin taking the deck off?
    To move it you have to have the deck or arms lifted up as far as it will go to take the pressure off the knob. As for the pins. Are you talking about where you unlock the deck so it will come off? If so I have found that some spray lube works. I also will drop the MMM all the way down and move forward with the deck dragging on the ground and watch the deck, then as you see the deck move back as you go forward I will use the brake to stop and lock it down. That way the deck doesn't have any pressure on the unlocking part. Makes it easier to unlock. Lubing it also makes it easier to hook up and lock without having to do it by hand. But I still always check it to make sure it's locked. If it still doesn't lock or unlock you might have to readjust the front arms on the front of your deck to give you more room. Doesn't take much to do this. I had to on mine. Hook the MMM up and if the front part is tight just loosen the nuts and give it just enough room to hook/unhook then tighten them back up. Don't make it so it's sloppy, just enough room to do it's job.
    etcallhome and keane like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks
    I apply silicone spray lubricant to the height adjustment shaft bushings and offset swivel. You'll want to avoid petroleum based lubricants or any others that are "sticky" as they will draw dust, dirt, grass clippings, etc which will accelerate wear and plain make an awful mess. I utilize the same silicone spray around the base of the snow blower chute.

I don't have any issues with my autoconnect mower deck attaching or releasing. I did install/setup my own, however. It is a bit time consuming and I believe that is where often the dealer setup becomes an issue. The salesman "gives away" the install/setup and the service department isn't going to take the loss, so it becomes just enough to get it hung and out the door.

I worked my way through college half days as a mechanic at a car dealership. We always had whining salesman looking for us to do something for nothing or far less than what it should have been. What they never seemed to understand, they would get the commission for the sale while the mechanics got nearly nothing as we were a flat rate shop. Considering all they brought to their job was their mouth and in comparison, we mechanics brought several thousand dollars of tools that wore out or had to be continually added to, it really made for a lopsided situation.
    etcallhome, Levi and TheOtherChris like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainetractorboy View Post
    My deck adjustment knob was a killer to turn; a two handed process at times. I didn't have silicone to squirt the places martincom mentions but I did use a little fluid film. One treatment and its worked flawlessly. I was kind of suspecting the knob to turn on it's own with it spinning freely, but that never happened.

If your arms are not coming down low enough to remove or install the deck, it's possible something is possibly bent or tweaked. When you say not engaging on the pins, are the pins high or low? High, you might want to check the rear lift linkage (7 & 8), but be careful, messing with these will affect the deck's levelness settings that can be brought back into adjustment following the manual.
    Levi likes this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-16-2019 @ 10:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for the response.

I know it is premature to talk about mower decks as I look out my window at 2' snow covering it.

Do you have a link of which silicone to get?

I will try that trick of moving forward enough to release pressure off the bar.

Funny you mention the manual with your links 56nine. I broke part number (42) on that link (7&8) you gave. Since they don't sell, just that bar I had to buy the brackets (41) as well. Goes to show you how hard that was coming out.
    All though I did find a video on the Tube that I think is the issue. I wont be able to give it a try till spring but getting my ducks in a row now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQL-kewadCc&t=187s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdT8hUKpO9k&t=84s
    Levi likes this.
    2014 1023e John Deere
    H120 Loader
    60" Auto-connect mower deck w/JD mulching kit
    49" Frontier Tiller 1149
    47" John Deere 2 stage snow eater
    48" Titan forks

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks
    The silicone spray is pretty generic. What I have in the shop I obtained from NAPA:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MCR8300
    Levi likes this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements