• 1 Post By rtgt

Thread: 485A Backhoe bucket & thumb options

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    12-12-2018 @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks

485A Backhoe bucket & thumb options

Backhoe novice here......

I think I am getting ready to make the plunge and buy a 485A backhoe for my 4044R. There are many options for buckets for this backhoe: 9", 12" 16", Heavy Duty 18", 20" & 24" and am trying to decide on what bucket to buy.

The standard bucket for this backhoe is the 12". I am leaning towards the Heavy Duty 18" for no particular reason other than it is 'heavy duty' and it only about $200 more than the standard bucket. My dealer does not know what makes this bucket 'heavy duty' and the info from JD is minimal (of course).

I am going to use this backhoe at a new place we are building - trenching for irrigation water and electrical conduit to the backyard & garden, remove a few stumps, dig hole for trees, help to build a 250' long berm along 1 side of the property to screen it from the country road, place landscape boulders, etc. The biggest use will be to dig a small fish pond for the wife - maybe 50' or so in diameter and about 8' deep.

Any thoughts on buckets?

Since I want to place/move landscape boulders I am planning on buying a thumb, however JD only offers a mechanical not hydraulic thumb for this. Don't know if anyone makes a hydraulic thumb for the 485A like they do for the smaller units. I assume a hydraulic thumb is much preferred, but is a mechanical thumb worthwhile?

Thanks for you help!

-steve
    rtgt likes this.
    2017 4044R Open Station, eHydro, iMatch, H180 MSL loader & R4's.
    Power Beyond (BLV10969), 3rd EH SCV (BLV10764),
    John Deere 485A Backhoe with HD 18" Bucket & mechanical thumb,
    Frontier AP12F 48" Pallet Forks, BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072 Rotary Cutter,
    PHD200 Post Hole Digger w/12" Auger, Titan Ballast Box, FIMCO 3pt Sprayer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevepsd View Post
    Backhoe novice here......

I think I am getting ready to make the plunge and buy a 485A backhoe for my 4044R. There are many options for buckets for this backhoe: 9", 12" 16", Heavy Duty 18", 20" & 24" and am trying to decide on what bucket to buy.

The standard bucket for this backhoe is the 12". I am leaning towards the Heavy Duty 18" for no particular reason other than it is 'heavy duty' and it only about $200 more than the standard bucket. My dealer does not know what makes this bucket 'heavy duty' and the info from JD is minimal (of course).

I am going to use this backhoe at a new place we are building - trenching for irrigation water and electrical conduit to the backyard & garden, remove a few stumps, dig hole for trees, help to build a 250' long berm along 1 side of the property to screen it from the country road, place landscape boulders, etc. The biggest use will be to dig a small fish pond for the wife - maybe 50' or so in diameter and about 8' deep.

Any thoughts on buckets?

Since I want to place/move landscape boulders I am planning on buying a thumb, however JD only offers a mechanical not hydraulic thumb for this. Don't know if anyone makes a hydraulic thumb for the 485A like they do for the smaller units. I assume a hydraulic thumb is much preferred, but is a mechanical thumb worthwhile?

Thanks for you help!

-steve
    Usually standard buckets are for digging dirt,dirt with small rock.Heavy duty the bucket sides are thicker steel,able to dig harder soils with rock and have heavier teeth.Some also can have bucket wings put on.Then theirs rock or severe duty buckets that have reinforced plates welded across the bucket.
    If you plan on using a thumb I would go with the heavy duty bucket.
    rtgt likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 861 Posts
    I would recommend the 9" bucket for trenching.
    TJR345 likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements