Like Tree41Likes

Thread: My17 2032r disc harrow size

1. Top | #1
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks

My17 2032r disc harrow size

Looking to purchase a disc harrow but don't know what size my 2032r can handle. I'm assuming something in the 5' and 15-20 disc's. I'm relying on your guy's/gal's (that's right) vast knowledge. Also any type of brand I should be leaning towards or away from.

Thanks for your help and input. BTW main use will be for food plots.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Crickets?
    Levi likes this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Crickets?
    Iíll bite. Itís a hard question because disks are so varied but in general 5 or 6 feet should work. I have little experience with field disk under 13í. The disk harrow confuses me. Harrow to me means tines that dig. Two tines digging would tax it very quick.
    Levi, OxPath and PJR832 like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    Iíll bite. Itís a hard question because disks are so varied but in general 5 or 6 feet should work. I have little experience with field disk under 13í. The disk harrow confuses me. Harrow to me means tines that dig. Two tines digging would tax it very quick.
    I guess I have always heard disc harrow in reference to the implement that has rows of disc at alternating angles. Some can be smooth and some notched.

My main concern is that I will go too large and won't be able to pull it.

noun: disc harrow
    a harrow with cutting edges consisting of a row of concave disks set at an oblique angle.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Thanks
    You should not have a problem with a 5 or 6’. I see plenty of people pulling 4’ ones behind 4 wheelers. I would probably stay towards the 5 as disks like to float if there is a lot of weeds or trash and if you weight it the weight would be focused on a smaller footprint. The nice thing about a disk is you can easily make multiple passes until you get the finish you desire.

Hope this helps.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

8. Top | #6
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    You should not have a problem with a 5 or 6í. I see plenty of people pulling 4í ones behind 4 wheelers. I would probably stay towards the 5 as disks like to float if there is a lot of weeds or trash and if you weight it the weight would be focused on a smaller footprint. The nice thing about a disk is you can easily make multiple passes until you get the finish you desire.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks allot Herm! Good point on weight idea. I'll probably go with s 5 footer.
    Levi and PJR832 like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks

Cover the wheel tracks

I would make sure the disk is a little wider than the wheel tracks. It doesn't matter on the first pass but once you are on tilled ground you want to leave a smooth surface. My cousin pulls a 6' with his JD790 if that helps. He says he doesn't have any issues pulling that. I've not put one behind my 790 so can't help much. Like another poster, my experience with disks was all with larger units except way, way back pulling a 6' disk (pull type, no gauge wheels) behind a AC WD-45 in a garden. It wasn't much of a disk and I was a kid so all I remember was that it pulled it.

Treefarmer
    Levi, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Thanks allot Herm! Good point on weight idea. I'll probably go with s 5 footer.
    Like Treefarmer said, go with one that will cover your tracks. There isn't much to a disc and all you're doing is pulling it. I have a 4' 16 blade disc and have to add weight to it so it will do it's job. My 1026 pulls it like it's not even there. I could pull a 5' 20 blade disc no problem.
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1Ĺ" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 07:30 AM
    Thanks
    Something like the JD DH1066 should be about perfect. It is 5'6" wide, notched blades and weighs 445 lbs and easily adjustable gang angles. I had one of these when I had my 3320 tractor (33 hp), and it pulled it with ease. Your 2032r will have no trouble with it, but I wouldn't go any bigger.
    JD 4066r with H180 Loader
    3rd SCV for Grapple
    Pat's Quick Hitch
    Brown 6'4" Disc Harrow
    Kodiak 5' Medium Duty Brush Cutter
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Numerous Other Misc. Attachments

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:03 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry, I missed your original post or I would have responded. I have a 2025 R (old model) that I use exclusively for maintenance of my hunting property. Iíve used both discs and a tiller to prepare my food plots and ultimately decided to purchase my own (vs borrowing) a 60Ē tiller. The reason I chose to go with the tiller instead of buying my own disc was that I found in order for the disc to be effective it must be very heavy and have the ability to adjust both sets of gangs. Plus, you need to make multiple passes (in my soil) to prepare a good seed bed.

66Ē has discs are what I used and they were of the cheaper angle iron type weighing around 500 lbs. When I looked at going to a true heavy duty disc as I mentioned above, the price more than doubled, and was actually more than my tiller.

So for me I can till in a single pass (so time is about the same) and for less money plus Iím not trying to keep MANY bearings from falling apart. Thatís something I had to always watch on the cheap discs. These are just my thoughts based on my own experiences, they are not meant to say one is good or the other is bad. Good luck with whatever you get and please post a ďreviewĒ of whatever you end up with as Iím always looking to learn from others.
    Good luck hunting in 2018!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -2015 John Deere 2025R
    w/R4's and 2.5 " wheel spacers front and rear, FEL, Imatch QH, Ballast Box
    270 A backhoe

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast