Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: 1025R Snow blade on bucket boom or snow blade on front of tractor

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 08:56 AM
    Thanks

1025R Snow blade on bucket boom or snow blade on front of tractor

1025R, Get 4-6 inches of snow in central PA last night and used the bucket to clear 3/8 mile lane. not very efficient, looking at a blade but not sure to go with a quick attach blade for on the boom or go with a front mounted blade. Need some input for witch work best.
    Thanks
    Sprout
    BigJim55, PJR832, Yank and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    There are advantages/disadvantages to both methods.

A blade mounted to the Deere Quick Hitch without the loader is a much more maneuverable machine when working in tight spaces but has the disadvantage of not being able to be raised very high. You can find that you get to a point where you run out of places to push the snow to once you have snow banks from that first or 2nd storm.

The loader mounted blade allows you to stack snow higher but the machine can get pretty long and hard to turn around in tighter spots. It is also hanging quite a ways out on front. The weight of the snow gets compounded by that length so you tend to see teh front end get pushed around a little more that the Quick Hitch mounted setup.

Everyone's driveway is different so you have to look at what you're doing and where you can clear. Are you working in a lot of tight spots? Do you have big wide-open spaces on both sides of the driveway where you can push snow back far enough off to the sides?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,310 Posts
    I use a FEL mounted plow and like it, opinions on this topic will vary greatly, but I like my set up and the ability to stack the snow. I guess a lot would depend on your driveway surface and how much snow you tend to get, I have gravel and snowfall varies from year to year.
    BigJim55, jdmich and Yank like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

Sprout (01-17-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    I use a FEL mounted plow and like it, opinions on this topic will vary greatly, but I like my set up and the ability to stack the snow. I guess a lot would depend on your driveway surface and how much snow you tend to get, I have gravel and snowfall varies from year to year.
    Ditto here also
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jdmich For This Useful Post:

Sprout (01-17-2018)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 08:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input, I do have a lot of room around every thing so I think a blade on the Quick Hitch would suit my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    There are advantages/disadvantages to both methods.

A blade mounted to the Deere Quick Hitch without the loader is a much more maneuverable machine when working in tight spaces but has the disadvantage of not being able to be raised very high. You can find that you get to a point where you run out of places to push the snow to once you have snow banks from that first or 2nd storm.

The loader mounted blade allows you to stack snow higher but the machine can get pretty long and hard to turn around in tighter spots. It is also hanging quite a ways out on front. The weight of the snow gets compounded by that length so you tend to see teh front end get pushed around a little more that the Quick Hitch mounted setup.

Everyone's driveway is different so you have to look at what you're doing and where you can clear. Are you working in a lot of tight spots? Do you have big wide-open spaces on both sides of the driveway where you can push snow back far enough off to the sides?

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Thanks
    If you have a truck, you may be better off putting a plow on it.
    BigJim55, PJR832, Yank and 1 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 05:50 AM
    Thanks
    We used big tractors and loaders growing up and when we epifonied into plow trucks and loader mounted plows, our speed and efficiency went up 100 fold. Don't get me wrong. Loaders have their place like stacking piles but to push an entire road in road gear is was unheard of with a loader.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,071 Posts
    If it was between a blade with QH or a blade mounted to the FEL then I'd get the blade with the QH. If the snow gets piled so much that the blade isn't doing much good then take it off and put the FEL on with the bucket and move it so you will have more room. Pretty easy to change from one to the other. Best of both worlds.
    etcallhome and PJR832 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,559 Times in 1,642 Posts
    Never owned a blade for FEL, but have owned a front quick hitch and front blade for over 16 yrs on different sub compacts and a JD425.

For me , I never gave a FEL blade a thought. During the summer months there are times I need to move dirt and IMO think the FQH would be better than a front mount blade on FEL. As others have said , I think the FQH would be shorter and possibly easier to maneuverable than one on FEL.

and

don't know may be cheaper NOT SURE on that. I've either traded it in for another or sold it with the tractor if I sold it locally.
    Last edited by etcallhome; 01-17-2018 at 09:13 PM.
    Levi and PJR832 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:34 AM
    Thanks
    I have not used the blade on the quick hitch but I just got the loader mounted HLA 1000 this year, I got it mostly for pushing small snowfalls that are a pain to blow with my rear mount blower. We still haven't had enough snow to work it proper but the little I have I like it. The concern raised about it being long is no issue for me in my yard. However, it is a real dance working the down pressure of the loader combined with the steering because the leverage of the length and being on the loader does have an effect. For my purpose, no issue, I only plan to push light snow and I really don't want to take my loader off in the winter. But if the plow was my only tool for moving snow, I might suggest a frame mounted front quick hitch is the way I would go.
    Levi and PJR832 like this.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast