Change to 47" snowblower mounts for 2016 X500 series

Thread: Change to 47" snowblower mounts for 2016 X500 series

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 11:08 AM
    Thanks

Change to 47" snowblower mounts for 2016 X500 series

I've watched all the videos showing how easy and quick it is to put the 47" snowblower on the X500 (or X580 in my case).
    But when they delivered the snowblower, the mechanism to raise and lower the snowblower is completely different. Instead of a rod going to a pivot arm, there is a see-saw device that is attached to the bolts that would be used to raise the mower deck. Off of that are two heavy duty chrome rods that go to the front snowblower mount. So raising one side of the see-saw part, pulls down on the 2 chrome bars, which pull back on the front snowblower mount, which raises the snowblower.
    One feature of this is the snowblower is floating because the 2 chrome bars slide into sockets in the see-saw part. I'm
    not sure if this is a good thing or not, because there is no way to push/keep the blower down against the ground. To those
    that have the pre 2016 design, were there problems that would justify this new design ? I've attached pictures of
    the see-saw part. Thanks for any info.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	533690

Name:	Pic2.jpg 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	533698

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by our1vue View Post
    I've watched all the videos showing how easy and quick it is to put the 47" snowblower on the X500 (or X580 in my case).
    But when they delivered the snowblower, the mechanism to raise and lower the snowblower is completely different. Instead of a rod going to a pivot arm, there is a see-saw device that is attached to the bolts that would be used to raise the mower deck. Off of that are two heavy duty chrome rods that go to the front snowblower mount. So raising one side of the see-saw part, pulls down on the 2 chrome bars, which pull back on the front snowblower mount, which raises the snowblower.
    One feature of this is the snowblower is floating because the 2 chrome bars slide into sockets in the see-saw part. I'm
    not sure if this is a good thing or not, because there is no way to push/keep the blower down against the ground. To those
    that have the pre 2016 design, were there problems that would justify this new design ? I've attached pictures of
    the see-saw part. Thanks for any info.

Name:	Pic1.jpg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	533690

Name:	Pic2.jpg 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	533698
    JD totally changed the lift setup since my 2014 X540.

Never seen a 500 series that had hydro down pressure. The power is only for lifting. You need to get a 700 series for DP.
    You always want to work in float mode. Especially with a blower.

I would guess that the lift system was changed because of the new mower deck design.

Mine has 2.rods that drop down under the middle of the tractor. The quick hitch should be the same where it attaches to the blower. Mine lifts up the blower with a rod only on left side of the frame.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 11:08 AM
    Thanks
    H-D dealer dude,
    You are right about the downward force. But if you lower the blower and release the control lever, does the blower still
    float or does the pressure in the system keep it at that level ? If it keeps it at that level, that would stop the blower
    from riding up on hard packed snow.
    The new design still has those 2 bolts. You can see them in the picture. All this makes me wonder what problem they
    were trying to fix with this design change. I like the old system better :-) .

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by our1vue View Post
    H-D dealer dude,
    You are right about the downward force. But if you lower the blower and release the control lever, does the blower still
    float or does the pressure in the system keep it at that level ? If it keeps it at that level, that would stop the blower
    from riding up on hard packed snow.
    The new design still has those 2 bolts. You can see them in the picture. All this makes me wonder what problem they
    were trying to fix with this design change. I like the old system better :-) .
    The blower will stop if you leave off letting it down. Before it reaches the ground or the stop.
    You need to have your tractor's height of cut knob at the lowest setting. Otherwise it can keep the blower or blade from lowering all the way.
    After that it should ride on the ground. Note you only have the weight of the blower/blade and gravity keeping it on the ground. Otherwise it is free to "float" or move upwards just like the mower deck.
    It is possible that the blower/blade will ride up with deeper and or harder snow. This is how you usually get the tractor stuck while working. The blade/blower keeps moving higher and higher (if you don't notice this) until the tractor's frame is dragging on packed snow.

The newest flat top mower decks are way deeper than the older style. On the one I have (old style) the spindles are even recessed into the top of the deck. They probably changed the lift linkage because of this. Otherwise the whole tractor would have to be taller to fit the deck underneath. The taller the tractor the easier it will roll on it's side.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 01-24-2018 at 06:54 PM.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-27-2019 @ 11:56 AM
    Thanks
    I'm assuming you have it figured out now. Did your belt seem to line up good? I have an x580 with 47" blower and my belt wears really bad at the top due to the belt guide under the lawn tractor being way higher than the guides at the blower.
    Does anyone have an idea what I could have wrong?

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deer Wood View Post
    I'm assuming you have it figured out now. Did your belt seem to line up good? I have an x580 with 47" blower and my belt wears really bad at the top due to the belt guide under the lawn tractor being way higher than the guides at the blower.
    Does anyone have an idea what I could have wrong?
    the black plate that the idlers are mounted to on the snow blower is adjustable, 2 bolts on each side,
    and you should be able to change that angle to better line up to the drive pulley, then run and
    watch to see that the belt is running centered on the idlers.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-27-2019 @ 11:56 AM
    Thanks
    This is the underside of the black plate. Only one of the bolt holes is slotted. How can this be adjusted?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1518899539768682983225_1518899606850.jpg  

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    try loosening the 4 bolts and see if you have some movement up and down with the back of that plate.
    it should have enough room to get a slight adjustment at the back side

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements