Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Titan Ballast Box with Harbor Freight QH

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Thanks

Titan Ballast Box with Harbor Freight QH

I recently bought a Titan Ballast Box after reading some good reviews here about them. I'm pretty pleased with it so far, the only negative thing I've found is it has a problem with my Harbor Freight QH. I saw another review here that said it worked fine with I-match, so it's got to be due to the difference in the top hooks. When first looking at it I thought sure it would work fine, but on hook-up the hook starts under the top pin and bushings and due to the hook taper it rolls the pin forward enough that the body of the hook in the bottom curve hits the outside of the box and won't let the pin go all the way down into the hook. (Hope that makes sense).

It will work with just the top pin, without the bushings on it, so I will probably just use it this way. Might get ambitious someday and redo the top bracket, if the top pin were just an inch further forward it would work fine with the bushings.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

Box had a few battle scars but everything inside looked fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180121_134406.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	534178

Hoisted it out of the box with one of Kenny's slings. They are great for a lot of things.

Name:	20180121_135529_HDR.jpg 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	534186

I like the pipes in it for tool storage.

Name:	20180121_140237.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	534194

Came with all of the pins except the ones I added for the QH.

Name:	20180122_143519.jpg 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	534202

Pretty good color match except for the dust on it.

Name:	20180122_145500.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	534210

Also like the built-in receiver hitch.

Name:	20180122_145757.jpg 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	534218

This came FedEx and the driver said that he had to get someone to help him load it into his truck because it was so heavy. He had been dreading how he would get it unloaded if no one was home. He was very glad to see my 1025r with the forks, just pulled up to the back of his truck with the forks level with the floor, he just shoved it out onto the forks, and we both left happy.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spferdil For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (01-25-2018), Drifterbike (01-25-2018), Yank (01-25-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Thanks
    That seems to be a common problem with the HF quick hitch. I had the same problem with some other issues. It does appear that they changed the mounting of the hook. Mine was bolted on, I took all the bolts out and welded mine on. The bolts were preventing my attachments from going on. Then I had the same problem as you did. I solved the problem by using smaller pin on the top. If I ever get some time I will cut some of the hook out so to let my attachments fit proper. I do not use any of the IMatch collars on any of my attachments. How much was that box? I really like that, with tubes for tools, receiver hitch and a door to release your ballast. Thanks for posting.
    spferdil, greenharley and Robnik like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 987 Posts
    Thanks for the write up and pics. I like that box. I have only been on their website a couple times and hadn't seen it. As for the HF QH, that's why mine is leaning against a wall in the barn and I switched to Pat's EZ change.
    spferdil, greenharley and Robnik like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    That seems to be a common problem with the HF quick hitch. I had the same problem with some other issues. It does appear that they changed the mounting of the hook. Mine was bolted on, I took all the bolts out and welded mine on. The bolts were preventing my attachments from going on. Then I had the same problem as you did. I solved the problem by using smaller pin on the top. If I ever get some time I will cut some of the hook out so to let my attachments fit proper. I do not use any of the IMatch collars on any of my attachments. How much was that box? I really like that, with tubes for tools, receiver hitch and a door to release your ballast. Thanks for posting.
    Yeah the top hook is usually my problem with the HFQH. I had the problem early on with hitting the bolts so I bought the replacement hook that sets it out further. Solved that problem, but none of my attachments were quick-hitch compatible so I've had to modify them. I couldn't weld the hook in place 'cause every attachment needs the hook at a different height so I use pins in it instead of bolts to change the height quickly. Had to make up a chart to show what height each implement needs.

I like this Titan ballast box, the green one must be popular because it's hard to find. Ebay and Amazon both list the box but every time I checked all they had was the red color. Here is the link for Titan that has the green.

Titan Green Ballast Box

I searched online and found a 5% off coupon that worked, found that here:

Coupons

The 4th item down on the page is the coupon code TITANFF5 and it worked for me so the box was $259 less 5% for final price of $246.05, with free shipping.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    Thanks for the write up and pics. I like that box. I have only been on their website a couple times and hadn't seen it. As for the HF QH, that's why mine is leaning against a wall in the barn and I switched to Pat's EZ change.
    I'd probably be better off if I used Pat's, but I'm stubborn, I am determined to make this QH work.
    ColonyPark and Robnik like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    I am determined to make this QH work.

So was I for 2 or 3 years. Eventually I was defeated.
    Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-23-2019 @ 09:00 AM
    Thanks
    I'm glad you posted this. I've been debating between a buying a ballast box, building one myself, or some kind of weight rack hitch. I keep going back to this particular box. The price is low enough I'm not sure it's worth the time and materials to try to build one, especially since I'd have to borrow a welder to do it.

That lift gate intrigues the heck out of me. I'd rather do something like sand than concrete, but trying to figure out how to empty it or allow water to drain has had me convinced it wouldn't be a great option. That lift gate changes that quite a bit.
    ColonyPark, spferdil and PJR832 like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MRedshaw View Post
    I'm glad you posted this. I've been debating between a buying a ballast box, building one myself, or some kind of weight rack hitch. I keep going back to this particular box. The price is low enough I'm not sure it's worth the time and materials to try to build one, especially since I'd have to borrow a welder to do it.

That lift gate intrigues the heck out of me. I'd rather do something like sand than concrete, but trying to figure out how to empty it or allow water to drain has had me convinced it wouldn't be a great option. That lift gate changes that quite a bit.
    I've been thinking the same. You would probably have to put something for a liner in the bottom for sand as there are some drain holes in the bottom, and leaves a crack at the bottom of the lift gate. I've been wondering how many bags of sand I could get in it by leaving the sand in bags. Lowes has 50 pound bags of sand.
    ColonyPark, PJR832 and MRedshaw like this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-23-2019 @ 09:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    I've been thinking the same. You would probably have to put something for a liner in the bottom for sand as there are some drain holes in the bottom, and leaves a crack at the bottom of the lift gate. I've been wondering how many bags of sand I could get in it by leaving the sand in bags. Lowes has 50 pound bags of sand.
    I had that same thought about a liner. I was thinking some burlap or a woven feed sack of some kind would do the job. Heck, even an old sheet might do the job.
    spferdil and PJR832 like this.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks
    Landscape fabric would work well, I use it inside flower pots to allow drainage and to keep the dirt in.
    ColonyPark, PJR832, rakane and 1 others like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast