Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Question on Landpride FSP spreaders

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    12-29-2018 @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks

Question on Landpride FSP spreaders

Hi all!
    What are people's experience with the Landpride FSP spreader lineup?
    I am looking at the FSP500 to spread sand on my 750' driveway using my 1026r. Has anyone had issues with this spreader or the material that I am intending to spread with it?
    Much appreciated!

Mr. Moose
    PJR832 likes this.
    1026R TLB Born on Nov 13, 2012; adopted Mar 6, 2013
    RC2048 Rotary Cutter, JD 47" Quick-Hitch Snowblower, JD 54" Quick-Hitch Blade, JD 3-pt Trailer Hitch, HLA Pallet Forks, Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch Plate, Superwinch S5000

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    I see the operating height is specified as 27 1/2" to 31 1/2" with a maximum PTO angle of 25 degrees. You may want to consult Land Pride tech support to see if they are aware of any issues when used with the limited Cat-1 3PH on the 1-series.

They should also be able to give you an idea how wide of a spread pattern you can expect using the intended material. It looks like most of the material has a minimum spread of 20-feet.
    greenharley and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    05-03-2019 @ 03:38 PM
    Thanks
    I have one of these. I use it for fertilizer and seed in a field, but canít really imaging trying to contain the spread to 10-15í. I get at least 20í of throw on either side, usually 30. Itís wonderful for covering a large area, but precise it is not. =)
    1026R TLB (53", Artillian diverter, Ken's Hooks), 260BH (thumb, step), 60D MMM, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, land plane, tiller, aerator, Artillian forks, 50" wicked grapple
    IS700z (27HP B&S commercial, 61Ē deck)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    HunterWare, I see you have the same tractor. How high is the 1026r able to lift it?
    If I keep it about 1 foot off the ground and throttle down, would that be enough to limit the spread?
    How would it hold up to heavier material than seed or fertilizer?

I have 2 dealers of Landpride in my area, one has the right price, the other said it would not hold up to sand/salt and tried to steer me to a $2k unit.

M. Moose
    RC2048 Rotary Cutter, JD 47" Quick-Hitch Snowblower, JD 54" Quick-Hitch Blade, JD 3-pt Trailer Hitch, HLA Pallet Forks, Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch Plate, Superwinch S5000

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    05-03-2019 @ 03:38 PM
    Thanks
    Itís been a bit, but Iíd say I usually run it about 2-3 ft high. You will need to adjust your top link for level at a given height. Iíve cast several thousand lbs of granular fertilizer, but that separates and flows really easily. Iíd guess (repeat: guess) that a really dry nice sand would flow and cast Ok, but Iíd also presume that someone else will come along with actual experience along these lines.

Iíll just say that it really throws the stuff hard at PTO rpm, if it was to work Iíd suspect youíd want to be at really low rpm. You want a slightly widened drop vs a throw.
    greenharley, ky_shawn and PJR832 like this.
    1026R TLB (53", Artillian diverter, Ken's Hooks), 260BH (thumb, step), 60D MMM, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, land plane, tiller, aerator, Artillian forks, 50" wicked grapple
    IS700z (27HP B&S commercial, 61Ē deck)

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks
    Perhaps the gate opens larger on the Landpride than the spreaders I'm familiar with for spreading seed and fertilizer but if it doesn't, I see the spreader capable of spreading dry sand well however sand with any moister could become rather troublesome.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:51 AM
    Thanks
    In the information on the seeder it says "agitator arm and plastic wheel"
    I have to wonder even with screened fine dry sand if that won't be too much for that to work in and break at least the agitator arm if not more?

Unless you have other uses for the spreader, I would call the manufacturer and see what they have to say about spreading sand. I wouldn't trust what any local salesman says about the time of day while I was looking at my watch..
    greenharley, Radsbee and PJR832 like this.
    Keep your stick on the ice... Red Green

The further north you go, the more things that can and want to eat your horse and you. Grandpa Gilbert.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    ...however sand with any moister could become rather troublesome.
    Wouldn't that be true with any spreader?

Mr. Moose

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
    Unless you have other uses for the spreader, I would call the manufacturer and see what they have to say about spreading sand.
    The manual has this to say:

Application
    The Land Pride FSP500, FSP700, and FSP1000 arerotary/spin type broadcast spreaders designed forCategory 1, three-point hitch mounting. They are capableof spreading seed, sand, salt, top dressings, lime, prilled/granular fertilizer, and most all other types of granularmaterials at delivery rates ranging from 43-890 lbs. peracre.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,472 Posts
    I can tell you that these PTO driven spreaders have the capability to really throw the material in a wide area. I couldn't get mine to throw granular fertilizer less than 30 feet wide no matter how slow and reasonably low to the ground I ran it. Running it at the PTO settings on the tach, holy cow, I bet it threw fertilizer 65 feet + wide from side to side.

I tested it in my 35' wide streets to see how much material it threw. I also measured it in the cul de sac, which is nearly 100 feet in diameter. Granted, granular fertilizer is going to roll some on pavement, but even on the lawn it was at least 30 feet wide at the lowest and slowest settings. I was overlapping far too much when I had the spreader set at the suggested material flow rates.

With my prior pull behind spreader with 300lb capacity, which was broadcast with the spreading spin being driven by the rotation of the spreader wheels, I could cover a width in the lawn of about 15' to 18'. I overlapped accordingly. The 3 point PTO driven spreader is a whole different animal in spreading width, spreading material volume and loaded material capacity.

Keeping the snow and moisture off the sand in the hopper is going to be key to a good material flow. The hopper is going to have to be covered whenever outside. I have no doubt it can spread sand, but I would expect the moisture to wreak havoc on causing clumping, etc. as well as inconsistency.

If you have a cab or enclosure on your tractor, you will find opening and closing the spreaders control valve a challenge as it's hard to reach with a cab or enclosure on the tractor and will likely require you to get off, open the spreader, get in the cab, turn on the spreader and then, you have a blast of heavy material for the time the spreader is flowing before it is spinning.

The density of sand and it's weight are going to make for an excellent rear ballast / counter balance. It won't take long to have 500 pounds of sand in the hopper. Even the small 3 point PTO spreader would be very heavy were it to be filled with sand.

I would also suggest if you use a 3 point spreader for sand, put very little in the hopper while you are determining spreader widths and volumes, maybe start with 30 to 50 pounds. Because if the spreader does clog or have issues, removing the material is a pain, so you want the least amount in the hopper to permit you to see if the spreader is doing what you want it to.

I plow a lot of driveways (17 this season right now) and at least 3 of those require regular snow melt application of material. I found that for my needs, the spreader just provides way too much material and throws it well beyond the driveway width. I choose to use a hand held electric spreader and with the snow melt I am using, a little goes a long ways.

I can cover most 100 feet long driveways and the parking area as well as the front home entrance steps, etc. with less than 6 pounds of snow melt product. Using that amount, I am able to keep the surfaces clear of all snow and ice other than during the worst snowfall conditions.
    greenharley likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast