Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Using pvc pipe as a bucket wear edge

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:36 AM
    Thanks

Using pvc pipe as a bucket wear edge

I know that a lot of people are purchasing the edge tamers and from what I ha e seen so far they seem to work pretty good but the wait time is like 3 weeks or so. In a pinch, is or has anyone using (ed) pvc as a wear edge? I remember seeing somewhere that someone had cut a slit out of a pvc pipe and slid it up on the wear edge of the bucket so the pvc would be making contact with the pavement instead of bucket. Pros and con if you do this? How long can the pvc be expected to last? Pictures if you do use it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, Levi, TJR345 and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,132 Times in 2,575 Posts
    I've read of many guys doing that-most use ABS however since to seems to hold up better. It does shatter though when it's really cold, and it can/will come off when backdragging.

For the price a piece of pipe it's worth trying, but the Tamers are well worth the price of admission
    mjncad, ColonyPark, Levi and 4 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:36 AM
    Thanks
    Tamers before next winter but Iíll prob cut a piece of pipe to get me through feb. we donít have much snow here and when we do itís not very much

Levi, GreenBlood and Yank like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    I've heard of the pvc pipe on the bottom edge of blowers on stone driveways.
    Levi and Yank like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks
    I wonder if the gray electrical pipe would be better than the white PVC??
    they are both about the same price,, and the same size,,,,

I have had the white stuff shatter when abused,,,
    but, the gray seems to hold up!
    Levi and keane like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:43 AM
    Thanks
    I think plumbing pipe PVC is the same as electrical conduit PVC, except the conduit has gray coloring added to differentiate it from plumbing pipe.

If you're going to use PVC pipe, try and see if you can find SCH80 as the wall is thicker than the usual SCH40. You'll have to go to a plumbing supply store or electrical supplier as the home centers rarely if ever carry SCH80 pipe and conduit.

Another tip I learned from a project totally unrelated to your purpose. If you're going to slit the pipe, put wood spacers at each end to maintain the pipe's diameter as you cut through it. The molding process induces spring tension in the pipe and it will close around a saw blade like a bear trap when there isn't enough plastic to keep the tension at bay.
    Kennyd, fdmars, Levi and 2 others like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    I think plumbing pipe PVC is the same as electrical conduit PVC, except the conduit has gray coloring added to differentiate it from plumbing pipe.

If you're going to use PVC pipe, try and see if you can find SCH80 as the wall is thicker than the usual SCH40. You'll have to go to a plumbing supply store or electrical supplier as the home centers rarely if ever carry SCH80 pipe and conduit.

Another tip I learned from a project totally unrelated to your purpose. If you're going to slit the pipe, put wood spacers at each end to maintain the pipe's diameter as you cut through it. The molding process induces spring tension in the pipe and it will close around a saw blade like a bear trap when there isn't enough plastic to keep the tension at bay.
    I think the gray schedule 80 pipe is also called CPVC. From what I understand it has a higher melting point. For HVAC work it's normally used for exhaust pipe on condensing boilers. Regular PVC will act like a cooked spaghetti noodle. I could believe that the cold would make it more brittle.

I have heard of people also using metal pipes.

This is usually done for plowing stone driveways. In an attempt to not plow the stones along with the snow.
    mjncad and Levi like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:34 AM
    Thanks
    I tried the ABS pipe on my bucket a few years ago. It didn't last one plowing before i saw it in snow pile. It was too much of a pain to worry about down pressure, back dragging, etc. I like to plow for keeps. Fast and efficiently. The fragile piece of pipe was something i didn't need to be worrying about the whole time so i was almost relieved when it came off. lol
    mjncad, Levi and keane like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 11:28 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I've read of many guys doing that-most use ABS however since to seems to hold up better. It does shatter though when it's really cold, and it can/will come off when backdragging.

For the price a piece of pipe it's worth trying, but the Tamers are well worth the price of admission
    ABS is what you want to use. PVC will easily crack.

I've used ABS with some pretty good success although it's a little messy to cut.

I used 1.5" for my FEL bucket. I just made a single pass with my circular saw. I then used a rubber mallet to pound it on the cutting edge. The smaller diameter will keep a pretty tight bite on the bucket edge. BUT... do NOT try to back drag with it or it will pop right off.

I think if you use a bigger diameter pipe, it won't bite as hard on the bucket and will be more prone to popping off.

I used mine on my concrete area outside my garage. It measures approximately 30 x 60. I generally got 2 plowings out of the pipe. I'd flip it over after the first plowing.

I don't remember if Schedule 40 or Schedule 80 is the thicker walled pipe, but buy the thicker walled pipe.

A 10' piece of this was only about $6 or so. I buy 2 or 3 lengths of it, cut them in half and then slit them. That way I only have to make mess one time and I have them ready to put on the bucket as needed.

One thing to keep in mind, the pipe is going to let you get all the way down to the surface of your concrete or asphalt - if that's what you're plowing. The EdgeTamers will not - they will leave a 1" or so layer. If you're clearing snow off gravel - EdgeTamers are the way to go!
    mjncad, Levi, Oscar Leroy and 1 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 04:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MowJoe View Post
    I know that a lot of people are purchasing the edge tamers and from what I ha e seen so far they seem to work pretty good but the wait time is like 3 weeks or so. In a pinch, is or has anyone using (ed) pvc as a wear edge? I remember seeing somewhere that someone had cut a slit out of a pvc pipe and slid it up on the wear edge of the bucket so the pvc would be making contact with the pavement instead of bucket. Pros and con if you do this? How long can the pvc be expected to last? Pictures if you do use it?

Just My thoughts, Whew that's a lot of work?

I'd just go and get a piece of used on new 2 or 3 in cast iron "thick walled" pipe and have the side sliced open then put on bucket and or blower to deal with what sounds like and issue with stone driveways. You can then tap the pipe and bolt it to the bucket as a clamp. BUT HEY THAT JUST ME! I have a stone drive and it is 100 yards, I just tipped the bucket back just a little from flat and it still picks up most of the snow fall, Leaves a little but that pack and eventually gives me a base to run the blower. WORKS FOR ME. I won't do the pipe ordeal, of any kind,

Falls off in the snow and launches it next trip or jacks up the blower, OUCH

Best of luck with your decision?

Regards, waltmart
    Last edited by waltmart; 02-01-2018 at 10:54 AM.
    mjncad and Oscar Leroy like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast