Skid shoes really needed for 54" blade?
Like Tree16Likes
  • 4 Post By PJR832
  • 4 Post By JimR
  • 3 Post By GWT3046r
  • 3 Post By TJR345
  • 1 Post By H-D dealer dude
  • 1 Post By Drifterbike

Thread: Skid shoes really needed for 54" blade?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-10-2018 @ 03:44 PM
    Thanks

Skid shoes really needed for 54" blade?

For the past few years I have been plowing my concrete driveway with a 54" blade on the X485. The cutting edge is urethane and the driveway is concrete. During this time I have used the factory skid shoes with no problems. Since the skid shoes were wearing out I replaced both the cutting edge and added the Heavy Hitch skid shoes that they make for the 54" blade. These are much more heavy duty and should last longer.

The problem is I'm not happy with the Heavy Hitch skid shoes. They are louder then all heck to the point my wife can hear the banging and rattling from inside the house even if I'm at the road. The skid shoes are about a 1/4 above the cutting edge but anytime you hit a bump in the driveway, road, grass etc they vibrate and rattle like there is no tomorrow. I often plow snow at 4 am and I guess if my wife can hear the noise the neighbors may as well.

Today I had enough and removed the skid shoes. I'm back to nice and quiet. That leads to the question. Are the skid shoes necessary? I know if the cutting edge gets too low I will wear out the blade itself but I monitor that each year as I am putting it away.

The downside is Heavy Hitch charges an arm and leg for these skid shoes that are now junk to me. If anything I will go back to the factory skid shoes which still means the heavy hitch is heading to the garbage. .

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,308 Posts
    I'm not speaking from experience because my driveway is gravel but if it were blacktop or concrete I don't think I run shoes.
    Gizmo2, keane, blue87fj60 and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Thanks
    As long as you keep an eye on your cutting edge, the shoes aren't needed on a paved driveway.

Oddly enough, I was just looking at my 54" plow earlier today and noticed that the Heavy Hitch cutting edge I installed is pretty much shot after being used for ONE snow storm. Between that and you're questioning their shoes, I'm less than impressed with their products at the moment.
    Gizmo2, keane, TJR345 and 1 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    I'm not speaking from experience because my driveway is gravel but if it were blacktop or concrete I don't think I run shoes.
    Agreed, I have my skid shoes locked in the up position so that they never make contact with the surface. No need for them on concrete, IMO.
    Gizmo2, keane and PJR832 like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Take the shoes off. You don't need them on a hard surface. They are made to install lower than the cutting edge. So the plow scraps up less stone and grass.

You have to keep an eye on the wear edge no matter what it is made of. Once the plow metal hits you do damage quick.

List the used shoes for sale. Some one will snap them up.

What's the wife doing in bed while you are out working? Unless she has a good insurance policy on you? When we had the 30"+ a while back. The neighbor went out to shovel in front of the truck. Within seconds he was rolling on his back like a turtle. Looking out my window I said to my girlfriend. I don't think he's going to get up. So I called his girlfriend and she called 911. They ended up hauling him to the hospital. They barely got the ambulance in and out of the trailer hood.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 02-04-2018 at 04:38 AM.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    The idea of the shoes is to take the brunt of the wear so the blade last longer.The shoe should be adjusted so the blade just touches.You should see a little day light under.
    Being new the bottom is rounded and doesn't have a flat spot init yet.
    The other problem is the shoes have adjustment holes so it's hard to get the proper setting.The CTA blade has the right idea with the stacking of washers,so as the shoe wears you lower the shoe and save the blade. Scroll down the page you'll see the pic.
    - Compact Tractor Snow Plows - Compact Tractor Attachments
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    The idea of the shoes is to take the brunt of the wear so the blade last longer.The shoe should be adjusted so the blade just touches.You should see a little day light under.
    The other problem is the shoes have adjustment holes so it's hard to get the proper setting.The CTA blade has the right idea with the stacking of washers,so as the shoe wears you lower the shoe and save the blade. Scroll down the page you'll see the pic.
    This is how and the reason why I have my 48" plow set up the same way. I'm running the JD heavy duty shoes.
    TJR345 likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    Thats the main reason I went with the CTA blade. My 92 420 l&g has a 54" blade and I went thru several of the Deere skid feet. When I bought my 1025 I said no way to the 54" blade from Mother Deere and went with the 60" CTA blade. I like it because it's taller, wider,& has real skid shoes. It hooks up to the Deere quick hitch and wasn't much more than Deere. I am very happy with it.
    TJR345 likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements