Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Ballast Boxes- Opinions wanted.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-23-2019 @ 09:00 AM
    Thanks

Ballast Boxes- Opinions wanted.

Looking for info as to what guys have found as the best affordable ballast box.

I've been kicking this around and doing some research, but figured you all would be a good indicator as far as quality and value.

I've kicked around building one and have seen some awesome designs, but with as busy as I am that's going to be hard to get done. I could really use one months ago, but haven't pulled the trigger.

I've also debated weights, but at $1/lb, it's hard to justify that expense.

The one that's caught my eye is the Titan. I like the looks of having the tool pipes and receiver built into it. However, I've seen where there's been some grumbling about quality of the build.

What other options are out there that you guys have been impressed with?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Thanks
    I picked mine up off CL, only took a couple years to find one! I prefer to fill mine with lead & scrap iron I had on hand, left about 8" in the top for chains & tools. Pipes & chainsaw holder on the outside, Railroad rails & receiver underneath: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1260.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	542946 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1072.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	542954
    mjncad, glc, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grnspot110 View Post
    I picked mine up off CL, only took a couple years to find one! I prefer to fill mine with lead & scrap iron I had on hand, left about 8" in the top for chains & tools. Pipes & chainsaw holder on the outside, Railroad rails & receiver underneath:
    Yeah, I've been watching CL. Nothing even regionally that I can find.

I like the rails and receiver you've added, though. Gives it a nice look.
    Last edited by MRedshaw; 02-08-2018 at 10:40 PM.
    OxPath likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MRedshaw View Post

Just throwing this out there.

It may be $1/lb or a little more. However, I see them for sale all the time at the same price as new. All it takes is a bit of spray paint and an old weight looks new. So while you will have money tied up in them you can always get your money out of them when they are no longer needed.

I will say there are some nice things with the box like being able to haul tools around but the suitcase weights are much smaller, easier to move around by had if not on the machine.

It really comes down to what will work best for you but if the only thing discouraging you from weights is the $1/lb, isn't that big of a deal in the end. 15 years from now the weights will still have the same value or more. A box might be dented, rusted out or in rough shape.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Just throwing this out there.

It may be $1/lb or a little more. However, I see them for sale all the time at the same price as new. All it takes is a bit of spray paint and an old weight looks new. So while you will have money tied up in them you can always get your money out of them when they are no longer needed.

I will say there are some nice things with the box like being able to haul tools around but the suitcase weights are much smaller, easier to move around by had if not on the machine.

It really comes down to what will work best for you but if the only thing discouraging you from weights is the $1/lb, isn't that big of a deal in the end. 15 years from now the weights will still have the same value or more. A box might be dented, rusted out or in rough shape.
    I get what you're saying and have thought about that aspect. Budget is more of a factor than anything. For a weight setup I'm looking at $6-700 or more, but a ballast box is half.

I like the versatility of a box, too. The ability, like you say, to haul tools and such is worth something.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I get what you're saying and have thought about that aspect. Budget is more of a factor than anything. For a weight setup I'm looking at $6-700 or more, but a ballast box is half.

I like the versatility of a box, too. The ability, like you say, to haul tools and such is worth something.
    Yeah, like I said if you want it for the versatility of hauling stuff by all means. It just sounded a bit like the cost factor was the only reason so I thought I would toss that out there.

There is more than one option for a reason. One options ends up being better than the other in certain use cases.
    MRedshaw likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    I have the Deere ballast box. When I bought my 1025 I think it was 250$ I filled it with 500 lbs concrete and put in 2 3" pic tubes with caps on the bottoms that I have chain in one and one for a rank/ shovel. One thing I recommend is to silicone the inside seams first because it keeps the moisture in the concrete from seeping out and staining the box
    mjncad, OxPath and MRedshaw like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:03 AM
    Thanks
    I have the Deere ballast box filled with sand. On the rare occasions that I've used the tractor for snow removal; having a ballast box full of sand is a quick source of traction grit on slippery surfaces.
    OxPath, keane and MRedshaw like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Looking for info as to what guys have found as the best affordable ballast box.

If comparing weights to a ballast box, what method are you looking at for hanging 600 lbs. of weights off the back of the tractor?

Really, when it comes to ballast boxes I wouldn't get too hung up on the quality. I mean, it's just a steel box that you are going to fill with concrete, sand, bricks, etc. It will probably sit outside when you are not using it. As long as it stays attached to the 3PH arms and top-link you are good to go.
    glc likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    If comparing weights to a ballast box, what method are you looking at for hanging 600 lbs. of weights off the back of the tractor?

Really, when it comes to ballast boxes I wouldn't get too hung up on the quality. I mean, it's just a steel box that you are going to fill with concrete, sand, bricks, etc. It will probably sit outside when you are not using it. As long as it stays attached to the 3PH arms and top-link you are good to go.
    I would agree. Even if it isn't the right color, if the price is right that can be fixed...

If set on a box the things I would focus on is really going to come down to use.

Lets say this is the only thing that you have that will ever connect to the 3pt. You are going to hang it back there and it is never going to come off and you don't have an iMatch or any other quick hitch. It really doesn't matter much get whatever is the best deal and paint it if needed mount it to the back and go.

If you are taking it on/off because maybe you have or are thinking at some point you want some 3pt attachment, well I would strongly recommend getting an iMatch if you don't have one or some other quick hitch. Keep in mind that the position of those hooks are not 100% universal so get that part now and make sure it is compatible with the box or the box or hitch can be modified to make them compatible. You will thank yourself later. Also there is the photo above about someone that attached were they old rail tracks or I beams to the bottom. Something like this would be nice. Some designs need to be held up off the ground a bit so you can get an iMatch or other quick hitch under the side mounting posts. You can set it down on something but if it was integrated to the base it would be easier. There are plenty of threads on here about modifications to ballast boxes that people have done over the years.

Then for fill you have to make up your mind on what you want to do there. There are all kinds of options and just like the suitcase weight or ballast box there isn't a right answer. Some like cement. Others like sand. No right answer. Whatever you go with I would make some plans for water management. You may plan on parking indoors all the time but if you get caught out in the rain during a massive storm or for some reason something changes where you have to store it outside for a while and it fills with water, I would want to have someway to deal with that. Personally I love the idea of cement with pvc or other pipes sunk into it so I can store rakes, shovels and such. I would probably also kind of give the cement a bit of a crown in the middle and drill some drain holes through the side of the box so water can escape. Maybe even drill a small hole through the endcaps on the pipe and through the bottom of the box so they can drain out. The idea of lining it with something. Silicon was mentioned or maybe a bit of scrap insulation board might help with condensation. The thought is to try and battle corrosion.

Some of these things are going to be much easier or have to be done before the box is filled. More so with cement. If you went sand, worst case you could remove the sand and then just put it back in. I would say that is the one big benefit with sand. You can later reconfigure it. Maybe you have 4 tool holders sunk in the cement and you are kicking your self that you didn't add a 5th before filling it with cement. Not a problem with sand. Got a free afternoon and some beer, it is and easy project.
    mjncad and Jep like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast