Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: John Deere De-Thatcher

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks

John Deere De-Thatcher

Has anyone had experience with John Deere's LP48004 (de)-Thatcher?
    How about LP48004?
    I don't know how to post links to these. Sorry

I'm thinking of ordering a thatcher (it sounds weird to call it a thatcher, I want to call it a de-thatcher). I'm also think of getting 2- 8" extensions so that it would be 54" wide.

Plus I'm thinking of getting a de-thatcher brakcet that fits on my quick hitch bracket from D&L Creative Concepts. Again, 'm trying to post a link...hope this works.
    https://www.youtube.com/redirect?red...ative-Concepts

Opinions and comments on a part or all of this setup are welcomed.

Thanks,
    Orono
    TJR345 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks
    What do you want to know.I have one for both my tractors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0696.jpg  
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    What do you want to know.I have one for both my tractors.
    1. Do you have the 38" thatcher with 8" extensions?
    1.a. Does JD make a wider thatcher other then the 38"? Maybe I wouldn't have to add extensions if they do.
    1.b. How wide is your thatcher?
    2. Why did you choose the manual lift lever over the quickhitch hydraulic option?
    2.a. Was the quickhitch option not available?
    2.b. With the manual up and down, do you get enough down pressure for the tines?
    2.c. Was cost a factor? I do not know how much the lever costs. I would be around $545 for the quickhitch bracket, thatcher and 2- 8" extensions.
    TJR345 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by orono View Post
    1. Do you have the 38" thatcher with 8" extensions?
    1.a. Does JD make a wider thatcher other then the 38"? Maybe I wouldn't have to add extensions if they do.
    1.b. How wide is your thatcher?
    2. Why did you choose the manual lift lever over the quickhitch hydraulic option?
    2.a. Was the quickhitch option not available?
    2.b. With the manual up and down, do you get enough down pressure for the tines?
    2.c. Was cost a factor? I do not know how much the lever costs. I would be around $545 for the quickhitch bracket, thatcher and 2- 8" extensions.
    1) Yes,it's the 38/40 with the 8" extensions. That's the biggest they make.
    1b) 54"
    2)The manual lift isn't bad,it has spring assist.
    2a) I don't have a quick hitch besides it going to make stick way out front.By the time you have the dethatcher and bagger on it's long enough,add on the length of the quick hitch.
    2c)The mount kit for a x7xx is $215
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I just ordered the 38" thatcher, 2 - 8" extensions ($45 shipping) and the quickhitch attachment (free shipping). I will assemble it and post a picture(s) and maybe a video of it on my tractor in my shed hopefully later this week.

I'll give a review of it when our snow is gone and I'm able to use it.
    TJR345 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-19-2019 @ 10:04 AM
    Thanks
    I have used the same thatcher for all of my JD's, started with a 318, 322, X485 and now X728. Just needed to buy some brackets when I put it on the X tractors. Last fall I purchased that bracket you mentioned from D & L. I haven't installed it yet, looks very strong and nicely built....
    TJR345 and orono like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Donner,
    Thank you for the reply. I think the bracket from D&L looks solid, too.

Similar to you, many people on this forum have had many tractors. I'm jealous of the numerous tractors you have had or may still have. I have 1 tractor. Plus the many talents of people on this forum are incredible. Fabrication, electrical, motors, adaptation, improvising, etc....impressed is an understatement. I read and read and read about many topics on this forum; however, IMO, the knowledge I get from reading doesn't equally compare to the real experiences you guys have had.

When I was younger my dad had bought a used John Deere with a mower and a snow blower over 20+ years ago (I think it may have been a 318, I can't remember). This is my first tractor as an adult and I am enjoying it a lot.
    TJR345 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-19-2019 @ 10:04 AM
    Thanks
    I forgot to add, you don't need any weight on the front mounted de-thatcher. If you were using a pull behind, which was my first one, you might need weights.....

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:09 PM
    Thanks
    I guess this is the Minnesota thread...

I have one for the font of my X585 with the extensions. Not sure of the size. Probably 8" on each side. It has the manual lift. Yes there is spring assist that helps. A quick tug will pop it up, you can hold it or hook it. For instance if turning around I will pop it up and normally hold it because I will set it right back down.

I have mentioned on another thread that my normal process is have the quick hitch on for the winter stuff. Mostly blade but I did have the blower on the other day when we got that foot of snow. First time in 3-4 years I think. Anyhow I have been holding off and leave the quick hitch on until it is time to dethatch. I pull the quick hitch and put that away for the summer. Hit the yard with the dethatcher and then pick up the debris with the Z950R. That is doing spring cleaning basically. Getting the late falling leaves. Then the dethatcher gets put away and the Front End Loader (FEL) gets put on for the spring/summer/fall. It did work well as a combo unit with the mower deck and material collection system (MCS) but I have retired my X585 from mowing and MCS duties since picking up the Z950R two years ago.

I would say the biggest complaint I have with the front mounted dethatcher, it would be that sliding pin that they have to mount it to the tractor. The reason I would lift it to turn around is that the side force on the dethatcher was always too great with that sliding pin and it would pop out of the front of the tractor. Then I would have to shut everything down and fight with it to connect it again. Those springs used for assisting the lift will cause problems. One day about 5 years ago I got fed up with that sliding pin and removed it. I now bolt it to the front of the tractor with a couple bolts with lock nuts. While taking longer to connect, it doesn't pop off.

As for the quick hitch option. I never knew it was an option until last week when I stumbled across a video a week ago and a member here mentioned having one. I am torn right now I will either build a bracket to mount it to my Z950R so I only have to run one machine around for that spring clean up. Or convert it to quick hitch. They want $190 I think for the adapter. Who knows if too busy and I opt that route I might buy one or it would be a fun excuse to bust out the welder and do a little metal fab. I don't see any reason to not use it. It will make connecting much easier in my case. If you fight that sliding pin normal mounting method, it resolves that problem. So something to consider. Though if I didn't already have a quick hitch, it would be way too expensive for my blood.
    keane likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I got home today. Here is what was waiting for me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails package.jpg   De-Thatcher 1.jpg   De Thatcher 2.jpg   De thatcher 3.jpg  
    Last edited by orono; 02-15-2018 at 10:48 PM.
    Levi, TJR345, HomesteadJoe and 1 others like this.
    Mike

2018 1025R w/120R FEL
    54" Quickhitch snowblower (JD)
    54" Quickhitch blade (JD) with Artillian wings
    54" JD MMM
    Frontier RC 2048
    Titan 36" forks
    53" Heavy Hitch tooth bar
    MCS 20 w/ Power Flow
    Heavy Hitch
    I-Match - JD
    16 - 42# suitcase weights (JD)