Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Post Hole Digger

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:50 AM
    Thanks

Post Hole Digger

I have several questions about post hole diggers. Anyone have the Frontier PHD300? Itís quite a bit more expensive than a set of Tractor Supply diggers. Whatís the difference? Worth the money? Is a PHD 300 a good size for my 2038R? I noticed the Frontier has a down pressure kit. Is it worth it? How does it work? Does Tractor Supply diggers have a down pressure kit? I know, a lot of questions. Thanks, guys.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72Ē rear blade
    Frontier 60Ē box blade
    Frontier 65Ē tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60Ē landplane
    Frontier 42Ē pallet forks
    Frontier 72Ē RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOHís bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 AM
    Thanks
    I have a PDH 300 and run it with my 3025e so your tractor should be able to handle it. I bought that size because it was a unit he had on the floor that someone changed their mind on and the dealer sold it to me for the same price as a PDH 100. I think it has a bigger head unit on it to handle higher PTO horse power, that's really the only difference I think. I would have to look at them side by side to give more information.

I have a frontier 9 inch bit and a tractor supply 12 inch bit. Generally the 12 inch bit works better in the clay I dig through. I thought it would be the opposite but it isn't, I think it is because of the style of the tips of each bit. The down force kit is a hydraulic cylinder/ram that pushes down on the PDH mast so you need access to some hydraulic kits on the back. It might have helped with my 9 inch bit in the clay and rock but the 12 inch bit at $130 took care of my desire for one. Unless you have some crazy tough ground and a tremendous amount of digging to do it probably isn't worth it. I would change the style of bit first before getting a kit unless you just know your soil requires it.
    Tomfive, Levi, flyweight and 5 others like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

Yank†(02-15-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Thanks
    The only time you will use a down force kit is during SUPER dry periods.

If there is no soil moisture, the auger will not go down,,,
    this is my New Holland 906, this is the first time it was ever used,,,
    the auger never had the paint scratched before this pic,,,

The PHD did not like to dig in rocky soil,,, but,,,
    when it did dig, it would break the shear pin.

So, IMHO,,, the down force kit will not help the PHD dig in rocky soil,,,
    Tomfive, Levi, Marlin and 2 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks
    I have a phd from tractor supply and never once been disappointed with it. It's the one implement I own that I have taken little to none care of. It stays out in the weather year around swinging from a tree branch in the woods yet it's always ready to work when I need it to. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I have even greased the U-joints on it. I do not have the down force kit on it and rarely needed it. I used the phd heavily when I first purchased it but after completing the tasks I needed it for, it became one of those implements that is rarely used now but when I need it..... I need it. I knew the use of it would be low once I was finished the initial projects and for that reason alone I didn't want to invest a large sum of money into it. If it self destructs the next time I hitch the tractor to it I will replace it with another just like it. It has given me my monies worth and then some so I have no reason to expect more from a phd.
    Tomfive, Levi, flyweight and 4 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

8. Top | #5
    Fit Rite Hydraulics MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    I have several questions about post hole diggers. Anyone have the Frontier PHD300? It’s quite a bit more expensive than a set of Tractor Supply diggers. What’s the difference? Worth the money? Is a PHD 300 a good size for my 2038R? I noticed the Frontier has a down pressure kit. Is it worth it? How does it work? Does Tractor Supply diggers have a down pressure kit? I know, a lot of questions. Thanks, guys.
    Lots of variables, basically comes down to you get what you pay for. The more it costs, typically the better it is designed and built.

A person should not expect a $300 unit to be the same as a $2000 unit. That's not to say that the $300 won't work for you, again variables.

Also do some research as to what type of bit works well and others do not. Again $$$$.

Do some research regarding how to store the units and what works well for people to hitch and un-hitch. Some people seem to NEVER grasp a good way to do this while others have no problems at all.

As with about anything, understanding what and how things work make things far less complicated and over whelming.
    Last edited by MtnViewRanch; 02-15-2018 at 10:18 AM.
    Tomfive, 56FordGuy, Levi and 4 others like this.
    Brian

Manufacturer of Fit Rite Hydraulics

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    I acquired a used TSC PHD that had been utilized to set the posts for a pole building and some tree planting. Based on the condition of this one and the knowledge I gleaned from other threads, I would suggest a few minor enhancements to the TSC PHD.

The big issue is the boom tends to flop back and forth in the saddle on the "A" frame. It is a clevis pin connection. The saddle was bent open and off to one side on mine when I received it because of this. Others recommend adding washers on one or both sides of the plate that is seated in the saddle to reduce the "slop". I'd take it a step further an add a snug diameter fitting grade 8 bolt and nylock nut to keep it snug. The holes were somewhat elongated on mine, when I received it, also as a result of the slop. I enlarged mine to either 3/4 or 7/8 (I can't recall at this time.) I straightened and narrowed my saddle in my hydraulic press.

The TSC PHD is manufactured by Speeco.
    Last edited by martincom; 02-15-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    Levi, Robnik and Yank like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    I have a PHD 300 that we use on 90-100 hp tractors. Itís a heavier duty unit than the TSC, the pins are reversible for a Cat II hitch as well as Cat I. Mine has the downforce kit, itís almost a necessity where I live. The soil isnít very rocky but super dry and hard most of the year. MtnViewRanch covered it well, you get what you pay for.
    Levi, 69project, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 01:33 PM
    Thanks
    VA soil, unless you are fencing off tons of acreage , I would go with the TSC PHD, I have used it on my 2038R with good success albeit only about a dozen holes so far.
    Levi, Robnik and Yank like this.
    2017 2038R, 72" MMM, 220R Loader, 60" Frontier Box Blade, Land pride Rotary Spreader, 59" JD Snowblower, 60" KK Tiller, 60" KK rotary cutter, Artillian Forks, KK Carry All.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    I have a PHD 300 that we use on 90-100 hp tractors. Itís a heavier duty unit than the TSC, the pins are reversible for a Cat II hitch as well as Cat I. Mine has the downforce kit, itís almost a necessity where I live. The soil isnít very rocky but super dry and hard most of the year. MtnViewRanch covered it well, you get what you pay for.
    Agreed. You can see in the photo of CADPlans' New Holland that the "A" frame and the boom connection to it is quite a bit more robust than the TSC. I was looking at a Everything Attachments PHD before I acquired the TSC. I bought the TSC for price of the augers that were included with it. Otherwise, I probably would have opted for a better unit.
    56FordGuy, Levi, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    Agreed. You can see in the photo of CADPlans' New Holland that the "A" frame and the boom connection to it is quite a bit more robust than the TSC. I was looking at a Everything Attachments PHD before I acquired the TSC. I bought the TSC for price of the augers that were included with it. Otherwise, I probably would have opted for a better unit.
    I found mine on Craigslist, only used maybe once. Still had all the paint on the edges of the auger and all. I paid more than a TSC unit costs, but I got a good deal for something this heavy duty. Our tractors would destroy lighter built equipment.
    Levi, Robnik, bvbearcat and 1 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast