Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Sprayer for 1025R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Thanks

Sprayer for 1025R

I plan to purchase a 3 point hitch sprayer for my 1025R in the next couple of weeks. I would like to know the experience of Forum members with the 40 gallon Fimco that TSC sells.

I have about 1.5 acres of lawn, so I need to be able to navigate around trees and buildings on fairly gentle terrain. I also have a 4.5 acre hay field that is gently sloping but has a much rougher terrain. I will need to spray broadleaf herbicide 2 or 3 times a year, and of course, I would clean any sprayer thoroughly after each use and add RV antifreeze to it in the winter,

I have seen posts about the fimco tank leaking, but I'm not sure how the tank would spring a leak. It looks like it is held on by a strap that wraps around the tank and bolts to the frame, so this shouldn't be a problem area. It also looks like there are a couple of bolts that go into inserts in the bottom of the tank, but these appear to be more for positioning than for anchoring the tank. Unless one over-tightened them, or didn't tighten the straps down enough, enabling the tank to shift around, then the bolts on the bottom shouldn't be a problem.

So, I am wondering - have these sprayers been holding up, or have folks been running into leaks or other problems such as failed motors? I am also wondering if it could stand up to the harsher terrain in the hay field. Have the negative online reviews been from folks that didn't use "best practices" when assembling or using them?

I like the Fimco because the price is right, and parts are readily available, even on a Sunday afternoon, but what kind of track record does it have recently, and does it seem like a suitable match for my purposes? I don't mind paying the premium for the JD unit, but only if the more economical Fimco unit isn't a good fit.

Update - I called Fimco, specifically to ask about the bolts that go through the bottom of the frame and into the tank. Before I got to the question, the rep asked what I intended to use it for. As soon as I mentioned the 4.5 acre hay field, he said (without hesitation) that the unit is not suitable because the tank will fail where the bottom bolts go into it! He indicated that this unit is designed for light duty/residential lawn use, and that it won't hold up to the rigors of agricultural use.

It leaves me wondering - they obviously know about this weak point. Why wouldn't they modify the design slightly by beefing up the hold down straps and eliminating the bolts that go into the tank? That failure point must manifest in residential applications too. I suspect that many "residential users" are just as hard, and maybe even harder on their equipment than the small time/hobby farmers.
    Last edited by KeyboardJungle; 02-15-2018 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Update after call to Fimco
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardJungle View Post
    I plan to purchase a 3 point hitch sprayer for my 1025R in the next couple of weeks. I would like to know the experience of Forum members with the 40 gallon Fimco that TSC sells.

I have about 1.5 acres of lawn, so I need to be able to navigate around trees and buildings on fairly gentle terrain. I also have a 4.5 acre hay field that is gently sloping but has a much rougher terrain. I will need to spray broadleaf herbicide 2 or 3 times a year, and of course, I would clean any sprayer thoroughly after each use and add RV antifreeze to it in the winter,

I have seen posts about the fimco tank leaking, but I'm not sure how the tank would spring a leak. It looks like it is held on by a strap that wraps around the tank and bolts to the frame, so this shouldn't be a problem area. It also looks like there are a couple of bolts that go into inserts in the bottom of the tank, but these appear to be more for positioning than for anchoring the tank. Unless one over-tightened them, or didn't tighten the straps down enough, enabling the tank to shift around, then the bolts on the bottom shouldn't be a problem.

So, I am wondering - have these sprayers been holding up, or have folks been running into leaks or other problems such as failed motors? I am also wondering if it could stand up to the harsher terrain in the hay field. Have the negative online reviews been from folks that didn't use "best practices" when assembling or using them?

I like the Fimco because the price is right, and parts are readily available, even on a Sunday afternoon, but what kind of track record does it have recently, and does it seem like a suitable match for my purposes? I don't mind paying the premium for the JD unit, but only if the more economical Fimco unit isn't a good fit.

Update - I called Fimco, specifically to ask about the bolts that go through the bottom of the frame and into the tank. Before I got to the question, the rep asked what I intended to use it for. As soon as I mentioned the 4.5 acre hay field, he said (without hesitation) that the unit is not suitable because the tank will fail where the bottom bolts go into it! He indicated that this unit is designed for light duty/residential lawn use, and that it won't hold up to the rigors of agricultural use.

It leaves me wondering - they obviously know about this weak point. Why wouldn't they modify the design slightly by beefing up the hold down straps and eliminating the bolts that go into the tank? That failure point must manifest in residential applications too. I suspect that many "residential users" are just as hard, and maybe even harder on their equipment than the small time/hobby farmers.

I have this exact sprayer and this is how I solved the bolts in bottom of tank issue....... I don't use them! I am using the two top tank straps to hold it onto the frame and for my uses its working great. I originally put the bolts in very loosely but after thinking about the countless failures, I removed them.

I don't use the booms on my sprayer often enough to give a true ownership approval. I mostly use the gun for spraying fence lines and around barns/structures so my uses isn't exactly harsh. If I was going to be spaying fields I do believe I'd want something built heavier and with a pump powered by the pto rather than the small electric pumps.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 02-15-2018 at 09:32 PM.
    KeyboardJungle likes this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (02-16-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Thanks
    I bought one last fall and only used it once. I'll report back after lore use but that will not help you now.

Randy

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    05-29-2019 @ 10:14 PM
    Thanks
    I have been less than impressed with my fimco sprayer, though mine is a pull behind 30? gallon style. I replaced the hiflo gold or whatever their pump is called, twice. The first one made it through one season then wouldn't prime or pump any more. The 2nd one lasted one use then did the same think. After I returned the 2nd pump I bought a north star pump from northern tool. It is a slightly higher gpm and feels much better built. The plastic fittings fimco uses are junk too, I replaced most of mine after they would get small cracks and once again make the pump suck air.
    ky_shawn and KeyboardJungle like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SDeadeye For This Useful Post:

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Trying to find an alternative sprayer

I had the same idea as Shawn. But then after reading about SDeadeye's experience with various failures, I'm thinking that I need to find an alternative. I don't mind slowly "ruggedizing" the fimco by replacing fittings and motors with upgraded components as failures dictate. But, I wouldn't want to get caught with a tank full of material in a sprayer that isn't working. Last year, I picked up a 30 gallon Fimco tow behind (before I had the tractor) and used it in the yard with my zero turn. I hope that it still works this spring!

So, maybe taking this thread in a different direction - what alternatives are there? Here is what I have looked at so far:

JD "standard duty" from superior tech - pricey for the features ($800 + tax and shipping) - no pressure control valve! The only variable that you can use to control the amount of material dispensed after the tank is full is the speed of the tractor. This is probably workable by adjusting the concentration based on the speed that you will be travelling, but at $800, I would expect a "full featured" unit.

JD "deluxe" model from superior tech - same as he standard duty, but includes a pressure valve. They offer several boom options that must be purchased separately, so the price is around $1100 + tax and shipping.

Superior Tech doesn't sell parts directly to the consumer - you have to go through a JD dealer. This adds time and cost to any failed part that you can't find at the local farm store. Probably not a problem, but at least a consideration.

Everything attachments has a nice 25 gallon unit at $1060, no tax, includes shipping. It is PTO/roller pump driven, 12' boom, and looks like a solid agricultural grade unit. But, the boom folds up, and it is not a breakaway design. While it would be perfect for the open field, there is a high probability that I would eventually snag it on a tree. So far, this is the front runner.

Demco has nice units, but their prices are around $1500 or more - I'm not even going to ask my finance manager about this one!

Has anyone used any of these units, or have an alternative unit that they have had a good or bad experience with?

Taking the intended use (4.5 ac hay field and 1.5 ac lawn), does anybody have experience or opinions on PTO vs. 12V electric?
    Last edited by KeyboardJungle; 02-16-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardJungle View Post
    I had the same idea as Shawn. But then after reading about SDeadeye's experience with various failures, I'm thinking that I need to find an alternative. I don't mind slowly "ruggedizing" the fimco by replacing fittings and motors with upgraded components as failures dictate. But, I wouldn't want to get caught with a tank full of material in a sprayer that isn't working. Last year, I picked up a 30 gallon Fimco tow behind (before I had the tractor) and used it in the yard with my zero turn. I hope that it still works this spring!

So, maybe taking this thread in a different direction - what alternatives are there? Here is what I have looked at so far:

JD "standard duty" from superior tech - pricey for the features ($800 + tax and shipping) - no pressure control valve! The only variable that you can use to control the amount of material dispensed after the tank is full is the speed of the tractor. This is probably workable by adjusting the concentration based on the speed that you will be travelling, but at $800, I would expect a "full featured" unit.

JD "deluxe" model from superior tech - same as he standard duty, but includes a pressure valve. They offer several boom options that must be purchased separately, so the price is around $1100 + tax and shipping.

Superior Tech doesn't sell parts directly to the consumer - you have to go through a JD dealer. This adds time and cost to any failed part that you can't find at the local farm store. Probably not a problem, but at least a consideration.

Everything attachments has a nice 25 gallon unit at $1060, no tax, includes shipping. It is PTO/roller pump driven, 12' boom, and looks like a solid agricultural grade unit. But, the boom folds up, and it is not a breakaway design. While it would be perfect for the open field, there is a high probability that I would eventually snag it on a tree. So far, this is the front runner.

Demco has nice units, but their prices are around $1500 or more - I'm not even going to ask my finance manager about this one!

Has anyone used any of these units, or have an alternative unit that they have had a good or bad experience with?

Taking the intended use from my first post into consideration, does anybody have experience or opinions on PTO vs. 12V electric?

My plan is to replace parts as needed on the Fimco to eventually end up with a fairly good sprayer. To date, I have not had to replace anything on mine. In regards to finding another sprayer, Fimco does make heavier sprayers that are fairly decent. Their cheapest 3 point sprayer is just that, a cheap sprayer. Do you have a Farm/Home store in your area? One of the local Farm stores here carries a line of sprayers that are really decent sprayers and although maybe not the quality of the JD, they don't have the price tag of the JD either. When we was farming the only sprayers that had electric pumps was those we threw on the racks of four wheelers to spot spray. All the sprayers we relied on to spray fields had a pto pump but we wasn't spraying just a few acres either so with that said I maybe shouldn't have recommended a pto pump earlier to you. A quality electric pump would probably serve you well with spraying a few acres at a time. I really would hate to rely on the pumps that come with the cheaper Fimco sprayers, I have one and I'm not impressed. It gets the job done for my uses but it's constantly building/loosing pressure and it doesn't prime itself quickly at all. If I as spraying any sort of crops with it such as hay and wanted a consistent spraying over the entire field, I really don't think the Fimco pump is the answer for you. If you were to have the mindset I had and are willing to buy the Fimco for the frame, booms, hoses, and tank, I believe you could change the pump/manifold and end up with a decent little sprayer to spray with a few times a year. If your planning to use it weekly for example, I don't think the Fimco is for you though regardless of how many parts you throw at it. You'd most likely need a welder too to start welding the fame and booms back together because I suspect the metal would fatigue rapidly using it somewhat commercially.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 02-16-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    KeyboardJungle likes this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:09 AM
    Thanks
    I had the Femco 60 gallon 3-point sprayer. With this unit, the pump is PTO driven and not included. At the time and before I purchased the sprayer, I found a real nice Hypro pump, with stainless steel rollers. I had to fabricate a removable mount for the pump and like anything I fabricate, that took the most time.

The boom was a three section and foldable. I added shutoff valves, between the boom sections, so I could just spray with the center section. I also had added the handheld wand.

To be honest, I never utilized it a lot. It worked great when I did. I finally got tired of it being in the way, though it was stored on a cart with casters. I sold it and somebody got a bargain for what I had into it.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Thanks
    I have the same 40 gal sprayer and have modified it to make it easier for me to navigate around trees by adding a few T's and ball valves. I was unaware of the leaking from the bottom bolts and think we share the same opinion on their functionality between them and the straps. Between my lawn and 4 of my neighbors I hit 20 acres about 3 times a year.

Granted it's smoother than a hay field, but then again, you don't have to run wide open either. Adjust your chemical rate for a slower speed and I'm sure it will be fine.
    ky_shawn and KeyboardJungle like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 56Nine For This Useful Post:

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 10:07 AM
    Thanks

Good results with JD sprayer

I have a similar situation: 1.5 acres lawn + 4.5 acres alfalfa and rye grass + perimeter spraying. I looked at he Fimco units and the JD/Superior spray units in person - very carefully. I went the local AG supply house - TSC is mostly light weight stuff, so not there- and was quoted $2600 for a really good sprayer, but that was too much money and too much machine. I was told there that they had the parts to mod or repair anything on the JD unit. To alter the spray output, I changed nozzles. No problem. To verify the spray pattern uniformity, I do what real AG applicators do: use test paper. IF you're serious, go to an AG supply house. Forget the big box stores like TSC. Go where the farmers and aerial applicators go to get the right parts. You can get variable speed pumps, pressure gauges, different nozzles, etc.
    I've used the JD 45 gal unit with very good results.the folding booms, shut off valves, long hand wand - it all works very well. The Fimco seemed flimsy in comparison. Two years in and it's been 100% reliable.
    PS; I'm a retired aerial applicator (aka crop duster), so maybe it's easier for me to calculate application rates, speeds, concentrations.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Minuteman17 For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (02-18-2018)

17. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman17 View Post
    I have a similar situation: 1.5 acres lawn + 4.5 acres alfalfa and rye grass + perimeter spraying. I looked at the Fimco units and the JD/Superior spray units in person ... I do what real AG applicators do: use test paper. IF you're serious, go to an AG supply house. Forget the big box stores...
    Thanks, minuteman. I have narrowed it down to the Superior Tech /John Deere sprayers. The Fimco may be fine but from reading the reviews it looks like it might be hit-or-miss. There are an equal number of positive and negative reviews and I don't want to be messing around with a sprayer that isn't working properly.

I looked at the superior tech high performance electric motor model but
    I think that I'm going to spring for the 60 gallon PTO driven model with a 150" boom. It might be more than I need, but I don't think that it will be unmanageable or too big, as long as I'm careful with ballast. My land is gently sloping, not hilly.

The online sprayer manual for the 60 gallon unit gives ballast recommendations for the 2305, so I'm taking that as an indication that it isn't too large for the series one.

Minuteman - what is the East Coast equivalent of an AG supply store? I'm in Maryland and haven't found anything but TSC.

What does everyone think about a 60 gallon sprayer on the series one?
    ky_shawn likes this.
    Dave

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast