Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 2038r Chipper Reccomendations

1. Top | #1
    MSK

Last Online
    Today @ 05:47 PM
    Thanks

2038r Chipper Reccomendations

Just got a new 2038r and would like to get a 3pt. chipper. I have read previous posts. I am interested I the WoodMax 8800 and 9900 and also Woodland Mills. Wanted to know if anyone has had any new experiences with any of these chippers? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bubber and greenharley like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,101 Times in 3,023 Posts
    pcabe5, Bubber, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

Bubber (02-16-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks
    I use my MX-8800 quite a bit and still highly recommend it. My newest experience with it is that when you forget to set the parking brake and engage the pto, it'll snap the shear pin. Since the pto starts and stops real quick, bye bye pin... That's pure operator error, though...

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    I have the MX-9900 chipper. It's a beast!! If it will fit inside the 9" intake chute, it will chip it!!

In my opinion, whatever you get, make sure you get something that's hydraulic feed. There are differing opinions on this, but I've found the hydraulic feed allows me to do 2-3 times the amount of work in the same amount of time with the same amount of effort on my part.

I'm pretty sure that Woodland Mills is a Canadian company that imports chippers. This is pretty much what WoodMaxx's model is/was before they started making the 8800 and 9900 models.

You will pay a premium for the WoodMaxx models you've listed, but I think that the product is top notch!
    rtgt likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. Top | #5
    MSK

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Seems to go through that pine quite well, 90% of what I need to chip is pine. Do your blades get gummed up with sap? Do you feel the 8800 is pretty well matched to your tractor? Does it lug your engine down easily? Do you expect to have abnormal wear of your PTO? Sorry for all the questions, Ive used rental units and I’m trying to determine if this would be a viable alternative. Thanks

Gizmo2 and rtgt like this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    I have the 9900 and do feel that it's pretty well matched for my 3520.

I'm not sure what size Bubber's tractor is - if it's more closely aligned to yours.

I don't expect any unusual wear on the PTO. It's doing what it's supposed to be doing - powering an implement. Unless something is out of whack on the PTO shaft, you shouldn't have any problems.
    rtgt likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 05:45 PM
    Thanks
    I have a Woodland Mills WC-68, and it's first class! I also own a Woomaxx snowblower.
    You can't go wrong with either company!
    As mentioned hydraulic or mechanical feed with reverser an absolute must.

When I was young ,trimming every shrub and tree on my property, the "Old" guy livin next door said "cuttin is the easy part, cleaning up takes work". So true! (now I'm the Old guy)
    With a chipper it is so easy to clean up. Cut an area, move on to the next, put it in the barn Love this thing!

The woodland mills I have weighs about 700lbs. Some of these chippers can easily get over 900lbs. The backhoe on my 2520 weighs about 750 so this is a good match I believe. Don't know its back there. It handles 4 in. stuff easily. Doesn't bog the engine at all as the PTO spins a hydraulic pump on the chipper and if it bogs down it simply stops feeding.

It loves soft green wood and pine, much easier on the blades IMHO.

Here is a thread you may want to look at...
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uestion-5.html

Would post pics but site doesn't let me anymore.
    Last edited by Bulitt; 02-16-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    Gizmo2, rtgt and mark02tj like this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Seems to go through that pine quite well, 90% of what I need to chip is pine. Do your blades get gummed up with sap? Do you feel the 8800 is pretty well matched to your tractor? Does it lug your engine down easily? Do you expect to have abnormal wear of your PTO? Sorry for all the questions, Ive used rental units and I’m trying to determine if this would be a viable alternative. Thanks

I had the feed rate pretty slow in that video, It'll chip a branch that size quite a but quicker than that. Everything stays pretty clean, gumming hasn't been an issue so far. I like the 8800 and feel it's well suited to the 2032r Classic. With hydraulic feed (a must have IMO), you can vary the intake speed so that you won't bog it down. It will amaze you how much it can take and how fast. That giant flywheel is there to keep things moving and take the shock out of the system. I don't foresee any issues with the PTO.

Pluses of the 8800 vs the 9900 (<- as it applies to me, this is not a statement of one being "better" than the other)
    • Price - I was approaching the top of my budget after I added the complete maintenance kit and premium pto shaft.
    • Weight - It's 850 lbs and it is pretty high and far back. My property isn't flat and since my tractor weighs ~2,000 lbs, 850 is enough back there.
    • Hydraulic fluid capacity - 2 quarts. Even if you lost the entire system, it isn't that much (motor) oil.
    • 2 blades instead of 4 - Less to have sharpened, or replace. Less cuts per rpm, keeps the speed up (This may be considered a minus is some respects too, ymmv)

Really for me, it was price and weight mostly. From my experience and mark02tj's feedback, I don't think you would go wrong with either of these animals.

If I can answer any more questions for you, fire away.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubber For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (02-17-2018)

13. Top | #9
    MSK

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulitt View Post
    I have a Woodland Mills WC-68, and it's first class! I also own a Woomaxx snowblower.
    You can't go wrong with either company!
    As mentioned hydraulic or mechanical feed with reverser an absolute must.

When I was young ,trimming every shrub and tree on my property, the "Old" guy livin next door said "cuttin is the easy part, cleaning up takes work". So true! (now I'm the Old guy)
    With a chipper it is so easy to clean up. Cut an area, move on to the next, put it in the barn Love this thing!

The woodland mills I have weighs about 700lbs. Some of these chippers can easily get over 900lbs. The backhoe on my 2520 weighs about 750 so this is a good match I believe. Don't know its back there. It handles 4 in. stuff easily. Doesn't bog the engine at all as the PTO spins a hydraulic pump on the chipper and if it bogs down it simply stops feeding.

It loves soft green wood and pine, much easier on the blades IMHO.

Here is a thread you may want to look at...
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uestion-5.html

Would post pics but site doesn't let me anymore.
    Thanks for the link, I think I missed this one. In the future I may have some WoodLand questions for you.

rtgt likes this.

14. Top | #10
    MSK

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I had the feed rate pretty slow in that video, It'll chip a branch that size quite a but quicker than that. Everything stays pretty clean, gumming hasn't been an issue so far. I like the 8800 and feel it's well suited to the 2032r Classic. With hydraulic feed (a must have IMO), you can vary the intake speed so that you won't bog it down. It will amaze you how much it can take and how fast. That giant flywheel is there to keep things moving and take the shock out of the system. I don't foresee any issues with the PTO.

Pluses of the 8800 vs the 9900 (<- as it applies to me, this is not a statement of one being "better" than the other)
    • Price - I was approaching the top of my budget after I added the complete maintenance kit and premium pto shaft.
    • Weight - It's 850 lbs and it is pretty high and far back. My property isn't flat and since my tractor weighs ~2,000 lbs, 850 is enough back there.
    • Hydraulic fluid capacity - 2 quarts. Even if you lost the entire system, it isn't that much (motor) oil.
    • 2 blades instead of 4 - Less to have sharpened, or replace. Less cuts per rpm, keeps the speed up (This may be considered a minus is some respects too, ymmv)

Really for me, it was price and weight mostly. From my experience and mark02tj's feedback, I don't think you would go wrong with either of these animals.

If I can answer any more questions for you, fire away.
    Thanks for the helpful info. I may contact you again for info during the decision process.

rtgt likes this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast