Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Have desire to put forks on my loader

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 09:21 AM
    Thanks

Have desire to put forks on my loader

Hey all,

My 870 is a 1990, and it has a 440 loader on it. Since day one it has had a bucket on it...never had to the need for anything else....or so we thought.

Now that the tractor is at my new place, I have been admiring pallet forks, thinking they might be pretty handy to use.

Trouble is, my 440 isn’t a quick attach model. I see that EA has two different types of quick attach setups that can convert my loader into one. The trouble with that is now my peverbial $500 set of forks will cost around $1500 to actually use.

I am looking to see if there is any other options that will allow me to use forks, but not break the bank. Sadly, my pile of money hasn’t shown up yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is the best way to proceed?
    -1967 110 RF with 20 hp V-twin

-1959 Wizard garden tractor

- 1990 870 utility with 440 loader

- 1950 B

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-03-2019 @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    I have an old 2440 with FEL (without quick attach also) and made a set bale spears to move round and 3x3x8 bales with. I also use them as 'pallet forks' and it's really pretty handy.

The bale spears clamp on the bucket with chains that go around the bucket and tensioned with load binders. I'll see if I can come up with a picture.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Have you called EA & see if they have or can customize a set of forks for your loader? I would think they would have something for less than $1500 for you. Give them a call tomorrow and let us know what they say. I am assuming you have a pin on bucket.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Thanks
    Not the same machine as yours and I don't know if this is going to cause more issues for instance if the spacing between the connections are not the same, but here is a thread where someone added JD Quick Attach mounts to his FEL.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ck-attach.html

If it were me and I was going to do a conversion, I would go to the standard that skid steers use. The nice thing about going this route is that it opens the door to more options when it comes to attachments. It might be cheaper in the long run because this stuff comes up for sale on the used market much more often than JDQA stuff ever will.

This mentions that they have a model that fits 400 series FELs but not sure if that is the same as a 440.

Attachments Using Quick Attach System

With any of this though there is one thing to keep in mind. For every pound of adapter and attachment you add to the end of your FEL it takes a pound away from your lifting capacity. This is more of an issue for those of use with smaller machines like mine but keep it in mind. That is one benefit of going with the JDQA. There isn't much to it if you can get the spacing right. So it will eat less into your max working capacity.

Least expensive and easiest option would be those forks that attach to a bucket. It gives some of the pallet capability but has limitations. Depending on what you are trying to do it might be able to cover all your needs. Only you can answer that.

It would be nice if there was a solid answer on what is the best way of doing this but there isn't. You will have to determine what will work best for you.
    wentonbrown likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone! The EA quick attach is meant for skid steer attachments, which as you say, is a good thing, as they come up more frequently than other stuff.

I also am concerned about putting more weight on the loader, which decreases the total load. I have looked at graple buckets that are several hundred pounds, and figured that I could then lift only a portion of what I could with my original bucket.

I am guessing I will just have to pony up for the quick attach, that way if I needed something one time, I could potentially rent it cheaper than buying it.

I will say it looks pretty easy to put on the JD parts...quick eyeball says they might just work!

Actually looked on JDParts, and it seems I can purchase everything to make that work, including the stuff I would weld on the bucket...comes to $623 + tax.

Cheaper way to do it, but I would be stuck with JD style QA. Decisions decisions....
    Last edited by wingrider; 02-18-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    PJR832 likes this.

- 1950 B

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,132 Times in 2,575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wingrider View Post

Cheaper way to do it, but I would be stuck with JD style QA. Decisions decisions....
    My opinion is to go the JDQA route...it's not something you'll be "stuck" with. Everything you can effectively use on your loader (bucket, forks, and grapple) is readily available, and it's lighter than the SSQA setup. Yes SSQA forks turn up used all over craigslist all the time, but they are either to HEAVY since they are meant for skid steers, or they are beat to crap already. Most SSQA attachments are to heavy to use on your loader anyway. You can get Chicom JDQA forks for under $500, and very high quality USA made ones for under $1000 from reputable companies like Artillian and Everything Attachments.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Very true. I shouldn’t have used Stuck as the word. You are correct that most stuff from a skid steer is beat to heck, and depending on what it is, can be very heavy.

Ok, on to finding these parts then.

- 1950 B

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wingrider View Post
    Very true. I shouldn’t have used Stuck as the word. You are correct that most stuff from a skid steer is beat to heck, and depending on what it is, can be very heavy.

Ok, on to finding these parts then.
    I tend to agree that the JDQA is the better route for you simply because of weight. If I were in your shoes it is the route I would go by my machine isn't as big as yours either but we both are concerned about the weight. No sense eating up lifting capacity with quick attachments. The biggest hurdle is the spacing between the JDQA. I don't know that the boom spacing is the same across all machines. That said the link I posted above where someone converted the smaller 45 series FEL to fit attachments that also fit his bigger machine (I forget what it was 2 or 3 series) means his boom spacing must have been close enough. Also I don't know what you have for ability and equipment for modifications which it will take some. It would be a fun project. I haven't had a need for pallet forks but I could see the benefit to having a grapple. Need to do the H3 conversion first though.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I did wonder a bit about the JD quick attach spacing, and I am hoping it is all the same.

My Dad is a retired Pipefitter, and I have quite a few “hand me down” tools. Heck, I have some tools that I have never used that got dropped off at my place, cause I “might need that” someday!

I am pretty well set for welders and torches, as well as a bit of steel plate. My thought is to get the pieces together needed for this, and then get a quick attach attachment, and be sure everything fits on the loader, then start tearing into the bucket.

- 1950 B

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,132 Times in 2,575 Posts
    The JDQA spacing is the same from the 1-series clear up through the 4-series.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JDQA Pins.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	349.9 KB 
ID:	551633
    wingrider, mark02tj and bmichael like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast