Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 375a Backhoe Expectations

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-06-2019 @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks

375a Backhoe Expectations

I will need to do some backhoe work this year, and debating the purchase of a 375a for my 3046r cab model. I have a few questions for those with some experience with that or similar models. My projects include some stone wall repair, trenching for some under-drain, and trenching for underground utilities.

I grew up in construction so my frame of reference is excavators and loader/backhoes. I can borrow my dadís Cat loader backhoe, but need to pay for transportation which can add up... $250 each way. I could also rent but worried about fees over the long term.

So here are the questions:
    How maneuverable is it to reposition? Will it have enough power to lift and set over the tractor or push it forward while trenching?

Getting out of the cab, getting on the backhoe, and back? Seems like that would get frustrating.

I found a used one for $5k but it is 5hrs away. Itís only a deal if I would like it.

Thanks,
    Toby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    rtgt likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toby.jutras View Post
    I will need to do some backhoe work this year, and debating the purchase of a 375a for my 3046r cab model. I have a few questions for those with some experience with that or similar models. My projects include some stone wall repair, trenching for some under-drain, and trenching for underground utilities.

I grew up in construction so my frame of reference is excavators and loader/backhoes. I can borrow my dadís Cat loader backhoe, but need to pay for transportation which can add up... $250 each way. I could also rent but worried about fees over the long term.

So here are the questions:
    How maneuverable is it to reposition? Will it have enough power to lift and set over the tractor or push it forward while trenching?

Getting out of the cab, getting on the backhoe, and back? Seems like that would get frustrating.

I found a used one for $5k but it is 5hrs away. Itís only a deal if I would like it.

Thanks,
    Toby

I have the 375A backhoe.

It is my first backhoe.

The dealers mechanic that gave me the run down of it told me specifically not to do what you just ask.

He told me not to re-position the tractor using the hoe.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    02-12-2019 @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 375A backhoe. This is my first tractor. The backhoe has plenty of power for digging or moving the the tractor if need be. i have dug a few stumps out but it did take me awhile. So i had someone with a big excavator take the stumps out and a few trees. It would of taken me way to long with the tractor. i wish i would of gotten the 385A though. You can never have to much power.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3926.jpg IMG_3941.jpg Image-1.jpg
    toby.jutras likes this.
    John Deere 3046R

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts

375a Backhoe Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by vila251 View Post
    i wish i would of gotten the 385A though. You can never have to much power.
    Digging stumps with a CUT and BH attachment takes some practice. Especially without making a mess. I have a 485 for my 3320 and it does well. Iíve moved some big stumps and large boulders with it.

Is the 385 / 385A BH still available?

Last edited by Superglidesport; 02-19-2018 at 04:35 AM.
    toby.jutras likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    I ONLY have a BH 46 on my 2032r but I love it.

You do have limitations on these tractor mounted BHís for sure, they are not construction grade. They are not as fast, they are not as strong, they are not as durable, and they have limited reach/depth/lift capacities compared to construction equipment. That said they will do everything you are asking to have done; within reason, I to have been advised not to reposition the rear of the tractor with the BH.

The benefits of these tools in your tractor is that they are yours, there are no further rental or transportation fees, minimal maintenance and the biggest one-time. They are always available and will get right to work weather you have 15 minutes or a whole day. You can pick away at large tasks in your spare time, evenings, weekends, etc. one cannot compare that convenience to having to schedule, transport and rent another machine.

For $5k Iíd seriously consider the one your looking at!
    BigJim55 and toby.jutras like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    02-12-2019 @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Digging stumps with a CUT and BH attachment takes some practice. Especially without making a mess. I have a 485 for my 3320 and it does well. Iíve moved some big stumps and large boulders with it.

Is the 385 / 385A BH still available?

Yes the 385 is available at the time. My dealer never told me there was an option.
    toby.jutras likes this.
    John Deere 3046R

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vila251 For This Useful Post:

toby.jutras†(02-20-2018)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=rtgt;2666665]I have the 375A backhoe.

It is my first backhoe.

The dealers mechanic that gave me the run down of it told me specifically not to do what you just ask.

He told me not to re-position the tractor using the hoe.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I have been doing this with the 1026r and now with the 2032r with no issues. I pick the back end up and move the rear of the tractor all the time. I also use the hoe to move the tractor forward and backwards all the time when trenching. If I am not far enough out or in the hoe just will not pick it up or move it either way. The Hydraulic bypass kicks in if not done right.
    toby.jutras likes this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BillieS For This Useful Post:

toby.jutras†(02-20-2018)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 05:45 PM
    Thanks
    5k$ purchase from a private seller could easily be 4500$-4000$ IMHO. Do you have power beyond? Does it come with the subframe?

I use mine to move forward when trenching.

This thing has paid for itself. Around here running a new water line is a flat 2000$

Fixing a broken water line 6-800$ unless its Chistmas eve $$$

Trenching is @20-30$ per foot.

And you can always use it and re-sell it.
    toby.jutras likes this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulitt For This Useful Post:

toby.jutras†(02-20-2018)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    07-06-2019 @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks guys! I may follow up with the seller to see if he is ready to negotiate. Itís been posted for a couple weeks now, and it is a far drive.

Can this be safely transported upright without the tractor?

Toby

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 48 BH, which is the great-grandfather of the 375A. it will easily do the things you mentioned- build walls, dig trenches, and yes it can move the tractor if done right. I just put it in 2wd and lift the stabilizers, then lift the back wheels up and shove forward or pull back, then set everything back up again. just be careful not to hit anything.

This thing doesn't get used much, but when it does, I'm glad to have it. I have dug countless holes, hundreds of feet of trench, and dredged a section of creek (I dug the creekbed down to about 7')

Yesterday I went to work fixing a drain in my barn. I dug up the pipe, repaired it, dug a new gravel drain pit, and then filled it back in. It took me only about 5 hrs for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by toby.jutras View Post
    Thanks guys! I may follow up with the seller to see if he is ready to negotiate. It’s been posted for a couple weeks now, and it is a far drive.

Can this be safely transported upright without the tractor?

Toby

As long as you strap it down good, it should be fine.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

16. The Following User Says Thank You to johnH123 For This Useful Post:

toby.jutras†(02-20-2018)

17. Remove Advertisements