Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Mini-Round Net Wrap Baler

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 10:22 PM
    Thanks

Mini-Round Net Wrap Baler

Okay I have a non-standard use scenario. I have absolutely no use for hay making equipment at tuis time but yet I want a Mini-Round Net Wrapping Baler. I have a lot of neighbors down the street that have oak trees galore and they have a huge issue with leaves piling up. Companies are charging a fortune to pick them up. I mean, like charging several hours of hand raking and then bagging and then hauling away leaves.

I want to offer a better deal. I am not necessarily looking to make money but have fun. Has anyone tried one of these mini-balers on leaves?

I think a net wrap would offer the best retention, plus there may be a market for people that want them for garden paths and mulching if the bale will unroll similar to large round hay bales.

Another question would be a rake side delivery or rotary?

Anyone tried this? I have seen videos of big cities using balers and a few people trying their old old square balers with limited success.

I am interested in your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi and keane like this.
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    I'm not going to state it will be impossible to ""rd bale leaves only"" with a rd baler but I have serious doubts that it can be done because of the size of the leaves & forming bale not wanting to hold together. Attempting to bale grass hay that's been excessively rained on & that's layed on the ground for over a week or more can be very challenging to rd bale.BTDT
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 02-21-2018 at 07:06 AM.
    pcabe5 and 56FordGuy like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    As a bale is formed in the chamber, it is constantly spinning. The longer it spins, the more the crop is destroyed, making dust. If the leaves are dry enough, they will just turn to dust and not even form a bale. Will it work? maybe. Either way, I want pictures
    glc, pcabe5, Levi and 1 others like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,305 Posts
    I too would find it hard to believe that leaves could form a bale but I would love to watch it were to work.
    pcabe5 and Levi like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,544 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Have never used a round baler , but like the others not sure if this would work . Guessing it would destroy the leaves before they became a round bale.

pcabe5, Levi and PJR832 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    I have one of these mini round balers MRB870 twine wrap and to answer your question. Could it do it. Yes but it would not do it well.

There are several things to consider:

1. These are inline balers so they directly follow the path of the tractor. If you tractor can't clear it than it is going to push the leaves
    2. The pickup swath and chamber is very small on these balers. So that would mean you would have to have very narrow and low windrows in order pick up the leaves without clogging the pickup chamber.
    3. Would be cost. The cheapest I seen for a twine baler is about 6k and a net wrap about 8k. It would be hard to recoup cost when a guy could come in with a dump trailer and leaf sucker and be out in 1/10 of the time.

They are pretty neat little balers though. One thing about them is that are definitely maneuverable and portable.
    pcabe5, rtgt and Levi like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:46 PM
    Thanks
    Rather than a baler, what about a similar type of machine designed to do the job?

pcabe5, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here is one baling option done by a municipality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iLjeJ1oG3U

There are others, most have been doing square baling, but most of the bales look pretty loose, plus balers are usually much larger and not conducive for small plots such as 1/2 acre lots.
    pcabe5, Levi and PJR832 like this.
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    Rather than a baler, what about a similar type of machine designed to do the job?

While this is an interesting option, the issue is what do you do with the leaves once collected? The bales could be stacked and easily transported, loose leaves are no better than just raking them up and putting into piles. I am looking for an option that makes handling of them easy. I've considered the vac idea but, access and dumping is the issue. Bales could potentially be sold to those interested in micro-farming for cover crop and would be easier to handle then loose or bagged leaves.
    glc, pcabe5 and Levi like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KD7CAO View Post
    Here is one baling option done by a municipality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iLjeJ1oG3U

There are others, most have been doing square baling, but most of the bales look pretty loose, plus balers are usually much larger and not conducive for small plots such as 1/2 acre lots.
    Still leaves quite a mess, but I especially like how they drop the bales right at the end of the driveways.
    pcabe5, Levi and keane like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast