A little help choosing the right tiller please.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: A little help choosing the right tiller please.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 09:08 AM
    Thanks

I am buying a 2017 2032R and I seem to have 2 choices of tiller from my dealer the JD655 and the frontier RT1157 I am told these are the only 2 that fit the horsepower rating of my tractor.

The 655 is in stock but it is about 4 inches shorter than the width of the tractor, if I understand the specification correctly. I was told it is a commercial grade unit and they want 2800.00 for it.

The frontier RT1157 is a couple of inches wider and has an offset feature that I believe would alleviate the narrowness issue. BUT It isn't in stock and they say its about a 2 month wait and here is the kicker I would have to wait to take delivery of the tractor until then. It is $50 dollars cheaper but its seems crazy to make me wait for the tractor until the rototiller is in.

I sure dont mind waiting for the bits and pieces to come in but I want the tractor while I wait. Is that normal to have to wait for the whole package before I can get my tractor?

Anyway, I want the tiller purchase to be in the financing of the tractor so it seems these are my choices and the 655 seems to be all I am left with. Can you offset the 3 point hitch to one side a few inches to make up for the lack of width of the 655?

Any other ideas?

I wanted to add I am pretty new to these type of tractors and I have asked a couple of questions on this forum now and received great help so Thank you I really appreciate it.

John
    Levi and PJR832 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetzler1 View Post
    I am buying a 2017 2032R and I seem to have 2 choices of tiller from my dealer the JD655 and the frontier RT1157 I am told these are the only 2 that fit the horsepower rating of my tractor.

The 655 is in stock but it is about 4 inches shorter than the width of the tractor, if I understand the specification correctly. I was told it is a commercial grade unit and they want 2800.00 for it.

The frontier RT1157 is a couple of inches wider and has an offset feature that I believe would alleviate the narrowness issue. BUT It isn't in stock and they say its about a 2 month wait and here is the kicker I would have to wait to take delivery of the tractor until then. It is $50 dollars cheaper but its seems crazy to make me wait for the tractor until the rototiller is in.

I sure dont mind waiting for the bits and pieces to come in but I want the tractor while I wait. Is that normal to have to wait for the whole package before I can get my tractor?

Anyway, I want the tiller purchase to be in the financing of the tractor so it seems these are my choices and the 655 seems to be all I am left with. Can you offset the 3 point hitch to one side a few inches to make up for the lack of width of the 655?

Any other ideas?

I wanted to add I am pretty new to these type of tractors and I have asked a couple of questions on this forum now and received great help so Thank you I really appreciate it.

John
    I'm not sure you are being directly correctly, sounds like the dealer is covering their backsides. I know a County Line 60" tiller only requires 25 HP and are MUCH cheaper than green, and very rugged built.
    pcabe5, 636mullet, Levi and 4 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:04 PM
    Thanks

There is no real reason that the dealer can't release the tractor to you while you're waiting for the tiller to come in. My dealer delivered my tractor while we were waiting for my snow plow to arrive. They called me when the plow arrived and offered that I could either come pick it up or they'd deliver it the next time they were in my area. That was in June so I didn't care. I didn't need it until December anyway. But they delivered it in July.

Your dealer may not be willing to make 2 free delivery trips. Ask and find out if that's their issue.

You should be able to tweak the 3-point a VERY little. Maybe an inch or two. But that's about it.

If it were up to me, I'd go with the RT1157. Having the offset capability is nice if you ever have to work near a fence line.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Jetzler1 (02-21-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks
    A 2032R should handle a 60" tiller with no problem. My old 2520 does. Are you looking for options from the dealer because you want to bundle implements for extra discounts or for financing? If so then your options are what they are. If not, then look for other brands. King Kutter, Behlen Country and others are all good and probably way cheaper than the dealer options. For reference, a 60" King Kutter for around $1500-1550.

As for them telling you that delivery of the tractor will be delayed until the ordered tiller arrives, that's just weird. Only thing I can think of is that they don't want to have to bring your tractor back to do initial setup, which really only amounts to sizing the PTO shaft. I'd tell them I'll do that myself so it didn't hold up delivery of the tractor. But I don't know what your comfort is for that type of thing.

Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-19-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    I am currently trying to choose a tiller for my 2017 2032R as well, but since I already purchases my tractor I will probably end up getting a Woods or LandPride tiller as they are a lot cheaper. I have my wheels in the wide position without spacers and my tractor is 54 inches wide with R4s. So unless you are getting wheel spacers, both of those tillers will cover you tracks no problem.
    Levi, greenharley and PJR832 like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MattWill For This Useful Post:

Jetzler1 (02-21-2018)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Thanks
    I have the Frontier 65 inch tiller for my 2038. Bet it would work in yours. I would get one that at least cover your tire tracks. We got a couple guys with 1 series pulling 60 inch tillers. You can too.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Yank For This Useful Post:

Jetzler1 (02-21-2018)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Thanks
    I have the 665 on the 2038r. Yours would pull it as well. I would not mess around trying to offset it and you do want it to cover your tracks. Rototilling is not a high speed process and I would rather go a little slower or make a shallow and deep pass if needed vs not have it wide enough.
    Levi, ky_shawn and PJR832 like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

Jetzler1 (02-21-2018)

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Tell your dealer that if you can't get the tractor now and the tiller when it comes in they lost a deal and you're going somewhere else to buy. I'd bet their tales will change if they think they are going to lose a deal. Any tiller of the size you want will work on your tractor. Just make sure it's a CAT 1, iMatch compatible and cut the PTO shaft to size. BTW, the bigger the tiller the heavier they are. Get a iMatch if you haven't, it will make your life much easier. I have a 60" for my 1026R and it's a bear to handle without an iMatch for hooking up.
    mark02tj, JimR, ky_shawn and 4 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

Herminator (02-21-2018)

16. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 09:08 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattWill View Post
    I am currently trying to choose a tiller for my 2017 2032R as well, but since I already purchases my tractor I will probably end up getting a Woods or LandPride tiller as they are a lot cheaper. I have my wheels in the wide position without spacers and my tractor is 54 inches wide with R4s. So unless you are getting wheel spacers, both of those tillers will cover you tracks no problem.
    That's good to know I was going by the book that says its 59" wide.

I was also thinking it would do the next size up if I took it slow so it sounds like I have options.

Thank you everyone.

John
    Levi and Herminator like this.

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks

I’m sorry but spending over $1000.00 more than you have to for a tiller so you can finance it doesn’t make sense to me.
    Last edited by 2032Ranger; 02-22-2018 at 06:37 AM.
    636mullet, Levi, mark02tj and 5 others like this.
    2016 2032R w/H130, 53" Bucket, Frontier AP12F Pallets Forks, 5’ King Kutter Rotary Tiller, TSC Carry-All, Engine Block Heater.
    2000 345 w/48c Mower Deck, Front Bumper, Halogen Lights, Governor at Max RPM. 367hrs
    1990 Push Mower, electric start, rear bagger.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast