In the Market for a 6' Rotary Brush Cutter?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: In the Market for a 6' Rotary Brush Cutter?

  1. Top | #1
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,891
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 607 Times in 410 Posts

    In the Market for a 6' Rotary Brush Cutter?

    This is the 6 ft one I was thinking of buying for $1,600.00 delivered to my home. It has the Flex Hitch and not sure if it is really that important. Is this a good brand I don't want to spend anymore then $1,600.00 on one and want new just because. Are there better ones out there for that kind of money or less delivered free? Never owned one before and used a borrowed 4 ft one once behind a T0-30 Tractor but did not like the way it pushed the tractor stopping. That won't happen with Live PTO anymore.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brush hog.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	557713

    Also wondering about a Frail Mower because all I have to cut is heavy wild pasture grass the first time I cut then maintain it. No brush or small tree in a our "Desert Step Area Land" except sage brush and Bitter Brush there to big to mow and would be pulled out if needed.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 02-26-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    PJR832 likes this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,403
    Thanks
    1,112
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,303 Posts
    A mower like that needs the flex hitch. It’s so the rear of the mower deck can ride up and down with the contours of the ground while staying on the ground and not lifting up.
    ky_shawn, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  4. Top | #3
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,891
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 607 Times in 410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    A mower like that needs the flex hitch. It’s so the rear of the mower deck can ride up and down with the contours of the ground while staying on the ground and not lifting up.
    OK that sound good. I was trying to figure how it flexed right to left not up and down. My ground is smooth but has hills and valleys all over the place.
    PJR832 likes this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    Jamone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    519
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 64 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    This is the 6 ft one I was thinking of buying for $1,600.00 delivered to my home. It has the Flex Hitch and not sure if it is really that important. Is this a good brand I don't want to spend anymore then $1,600.00 on one and want new just because. Are there better ones out there for that kind of money or less delivered free? Never owned one before and used a borrowed 4 ft one once behind a T0-30 Tractor but did not like the way it pushed the tractor stopping. That won't happen with Live PTO anymore.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brush hog.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	557713

    Also wondering about a Frail Mower because all I have to cut is heavy wild pasture grass the first time I cut then maintain it. No brush or small tree in a our "Desert Step Area Land" except sage brush and Bitter Brush there to big to mow and would be pulled out if needed.
    A flail mower would do what you want just fine. However they typically appear to cost more then a basic rotary cutter like this. You will probably be in the $1900-2500 range for a similar sized flail. I have a WoodMaxx FM-62 and like it, the more compact size is a real plus when traveling in my woods. But if you are just working in open fields then you get less benefits.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader
    ky_shawn, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    2017 2038r R4s with filled rear, iMatch, 72" MMM, 220R loader with standard bucket, Artillian forks, Woodmax FM-62" flail mower, EA 66" Box blade, Deere KBL 6' discs, cultivator, subsoiler, ballast box full of concrete, single point loader connector, rear dual SCVs, hydraulic top & tilt.

  7. Top | #5
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,891
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 607 Times in 410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamone View Post
    A flail mower would do what you want just fine. However they typically appear to cost more then a basic rotary cutter like this. You will probably be in the $1900-2500 range for a similar sized flail. I have a WoodMaxx FM-62 and like it, the more compact size is a real plus when traveling in my woods. But if you are just working in open fields then you get less benefits.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader
    That is a nice Frail Mower just took a look at it. Paying more is not out of the question to get good equipment.
    Just there is so much out there to choose from!
    PJR832 likes this.

  8. Top | #6
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,891
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 607 Times in 410 Posts
    Is this just junk for $1,300.00 delivered a 72" one from Titan?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mower.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	557753

  9. Top | #7
    PJR832's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 PM
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    11,560
    Thanks
    1,921
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    Is this just junk for $1,300.00 delivered a 72" one from Titan?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mower.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	557753
    I would say yes, like many things, you get what you pay for.
    ky_shawn likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

  10. Top | #8
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,891
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 607 Times in 410 Posts
    I was worried about balancing of the cutter and quality of the steel on the Titan one? Spears and Forks are one thing but this has to spin fast and hold together too? My 6 ft ripper is a King Kutter and has held up great and works the way it should.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 02-26-2018 at 08:46 PM.
    Jim Timber, ky_shawn and PJR832 like this.

  11. Top | #9
    ky_shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 09:44 AM
    Location
    Bluegrass state
    Posts
    1,933
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 270 Times in 225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    This is the 6 ft one I was thinking of buying for $1,600.00 delivered to my home. It has the Flex Hitch and not sure if it is really that important. Is this a good brand I don't want to spend anymore then $1,600.00 on one and want new just because. Are there better ones out there for that kind of money or less delivered free? Never owned one before and used a borrowed 4 ft one once behind a T0-30 Tractor but did not like the way it pushed the tractor stopping. That won't happen with Live PTO anymore.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brush hog.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	557713

    Also wondering about a Frail Mower because all I have to cut is heavy wild pasture grass the first time I cut then maintain it. No brush or small tree in a our "Desert Step Area Land" except sage brush and Bitter Brush there to big to mow and would be pulled out if needed.
    The reason the TO-30 was pushed by the cutter is because it didn't have a live clutch/pto most likely. You won't have that problem with your new tractor. Bushhogging with a tractor without a live pto is dicey work. With that said, with the size of tractor you have definitely get a 6' cut and the brand and durability of what you purchase needs to be matched with the work you have intended for it. You can destroy a light duty cutter quickly doing heavy duty work with it like cutting brush. If your cutting grass and weeds only then a light cutter will hold up fairly well. I like King Kutter overall however the cutter in pic seems to be a better grass/weed cutter than a brush cutter in my opinion. You say your cutting pasture grass and considering the price of it being dropped off at your door step basically, it probably would serve you well.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 02-26-2018 at 10:48 PM.
    rtgt, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

  12. Top | #10
    Kingnuke32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 01:33 PM
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 104 Times in 34 Posts
    I have that exact KK in 60" on my 2038R. I got it for around $1200 at Rural King during their black friday sale. The 60" does good for me on my tractor cuts smaller saplings and fields no problem, I haven't cut anything probably more than 1.5". The flex hitch makes it nice on my not so even ground.
    ky_shawn, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    2017 2038R, 72" MMM, 220R Loader, 60" Frontier Box Blade, Land pride Rotary Spreader, 59" JD Snowblower, 60" KK Tiller, 60" KK rotary cutter, Artillian Forks, KK Carry All.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •