Brush grubber and my tractor...should I?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Brush grubber and my tractor...should I?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-19-2019 @ 10:38 AM
    Thanks

Brush grubber and my tractor...should I?

I searched this site for information on Brush Grubbers. My questions aren't specifically geared towards Brush Grubbers themselves, but more towards my tractors capacity for using this or a similar product(s). I have a X738 and I am wondering about it's realistic pulling and tugging capacity. In particular, I will be clearing out some of my acreage this spring and I have a lot of Buckthorn (typically not a deep rooted tree). Most of it is relatively small (<3" diameter). I cannot get a full size vehicle into this area. A tractor or a skid steer are my only options.

I plan on hooking up a Brush Grubber or choker to my Heavy Hitch (low to the ground) with a shackle and pulling. I'll also use front weights to try to keep the front tires on the ground.

Should my tractor be able to handle stumps up to 3" in diameter? If yes, should I use it or find another option?
    Mike

2018 1025R w/120R FEL
    54" Quickhitch snowblower (JD)
    54" Quickhitch blade (JD) with Artillian wings
    54" JD MMM
    Frontier RC 2048
    Titan 36" forks
    53" Heavy Hitch tooth bar
    MCS 20 w/ Power Flow
    Heavy Hitch
    I-Match - JD
    16 - 42# suitcase weights (JD)
    3 pt sprayer (Northern Tool)
    3 pt plug aerator (DR Equipment),
    54" Quichitch (DL) de-thatcher (JD)
    Ken's Bolt-on-Hooks
    Stihl chainsaws, brushcutter, blower, trimmer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks

Traction doubtful but what do I know?

I'll be really surprised if you can pull the larger stuff with the X738 but it might fool me. I would be a big fan of using a skid steer. Depending on how much acreage you are clearing a skid steer with a forestry mulching head would be ideal but a skid steer with a grapple will work too. Renting the forestry heads get pretty expensive because you need a heavy, high flow skid steer plus the rental on the forestry head is high as they require a lot of maintenance. There may be someone in the area offering that service for a flat $/acre.

One thing I would recommend not doing is using the brush grabber and getting any sort of running start. Odds are pretty good that the result won't be pretty as you might find yourself dodging a brush grabber headed right for you.

I've been tempted to get a brush grabber for use with a tractor but the grapple has taken some of the temptation away. The Piranaha bar has also worked well on the loader bucket but another tool would be nice for the occasional use.

Treefarmer
    rtgt, Levi, keane and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    I agree. It also depends on how big the roots are and the soil type. Traction will be your biggest challenge. I've had issues pulling similar stumps with my 2720 and it weighs almost 4000 lbs (tractor, loader, operator, loaded tires, ballast box). I use a brush grubber chain attached to my draw bar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brush_grubber.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	563705
    glc, rtgt, Levi and 6 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I agree. It also depends on how big the roots are and the soil type. Traction will be your biggest challenge. I've had issues pulling similar stumps with my 2720 and it weighs almost 4000 lbs (tractor, loader, operator, loaded tires, ballast box). I use a brush grubber chain attached to my draw bar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brush_grubber.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	563705
    How much of that is the operator

Just kidiing

Kennyd, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:57 AM
    Thanks
    Which Brush Grubber are you looking at? I bought the one that was meant for buckthorn on the label. The Brush Grubber HD. Good for compact tractors. Hooked that to my 870 (compact tractor) and started pulling buckthorn at our new property.

Just guessing, but my 870 with loader probably weighs about 29-3000 pounds. I used this device as directed. No jerking, but let up the slack, and did a solid pull. Bent the snot out of thing. It hooked on, and it seems my little tractor was to much for it, wanted to twist off. Bent it back in the press, and left it for the little stuff.

If you are looking to go with a skid steer, you want to get the big one. I picked up the Xtreme Plus to use on the remainder. Figured my little B will demolish the HD, so the bigger one should hold together better.
    rtgt, Levi and PJR832 like this.
    -1967 110 RF with 20 hp V-twin

-1959 Wizard garden tractor

- 1990 870 utility with 440 loader

- 1950 B

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    How much of that is the operator

Just kidiing

225... I'm working on an all-twinkie diet to try to get more ballast.
    glc, rtgt, Levi and 4 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    225... I'm working on an all-twinkie diet to try to get more ballast.
    That’s the winning attitude, ballast is important
    rtgt, Levi, Jim Timber and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    I just use a chain wrapped around what ever it is I'm trying to pull out 3 times and hooked on itself. If you have chain, you could give it a go before you spend money on a grubber. No doubt one would probably be easier, or faster to use, but a plain ole chain works too.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    03-09-2018 @ 08:27 AM
    Thanks
    You can do it with the x738, you may have to loosen the ground around the stumps a bit with a mattock tho. I pulled several out with my old x540. Just keep a low center of gravity and keep the chain tight around the stumps.
    rtgt, Levi, greenharley and 1 others like this.
    2013 x750 w/auto connect, front fender kit, armrests, brush guard, rear PTO, CAT 1 limited 3 PH, CTC loader, 4 suitcase weights, rear HDAP's, 54'" HC deck, mulch kit, Power Flow with MC 519, boom pole lift, JD Model 35A Tiller, 10P cart, P-G Line drop spreader.

SCAG Liberty Z handles mowing duty

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I just use a chain wrapped around what ever it is I'm trying to pull out 3 times and hooked on itself. If you have chain, you could give it a go before you spend money on a grubber. No doubt one would probably be easier, or faster to use, but a plain ole chain works too.
    This is the way I do it.
    rtgt, ky_shawn, bmichael and 1 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast