Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Basic Box Blade Questions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-06-2018 @ 01:32 PM
    Thanks

Basic Box Blade Questions

I am looking into buying a 5ft Box blade for my 1025R this spring. My main use will be to level/ Fix my 230 yard long gravel driveway. Fixing pot holes and leveling it out. Will a 5ft box blade be okay for my 1025R JD? I also plan on bringing in some sand for my pond/ beach area and plan on using abox blade to spread that out also.

What can else could I use the box blade for? I was thinking of ripping up some of my backyard where the grass doesnt grow very well with the box blade and having some topsoil brought in and level it out and plant some new grass.
    Robnik likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    This should give you some answers.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ing-power.html
    Robnik, bvbearcat and GWT3046r like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-30-2019 @ 10:24 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jmads21 View Post
    I am looking into buying a 5ft Box blade for my 1025R this spring. My main use will be to level/ Fix my 230 yard long gravel driveway. Fixing pot holes and leveling it out. Will a 5ft box blade be okay for my 1025R JD? I also plan on bringing in some sand for my pond/ beach area and plan on using abox blade to spread that out also.

What can else could I use the box blade for? I was thinking of ripping up some of my backyard where the grass doesnt grow very well with the box blade and having some topsoil brought in and level it out and plant some new grass.
    I use a 65” box blade behind my 2038R. Besides dirt work, it is great for clearing snow. I think a 5” box blade might be too much for the 1025R. With wet snow, I sometimes pack so much into the 65” that the 2038R has trouble lifting it. Also, engaging too much dirt / gravel causes wheel spin. You can maybe handle a 5’ box blade, just need to be aware you probably aren’t going to move it if it is full of dirt or wet snow.

In my opinion, a hydraulic Top and Tilt kit for the 3 point is what makes a box blade very useful.

Brian at Fit Rite hydraulics probably makes a top and Tilt kit for your tractor. He is a vendor on this site.
    greenharley and Robnik like this.
    2017 2038R w/220R FEL, 72D MMM.
    BB2065 Box Blade
    HLA 1500 72" Snow Push w/Back Drag kit.
    Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    You'll be much less frustrated with the 48 inch. That's what I would recommend. It's an often discussed topic.
    greenharley, Robnik and Bumper like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    The 2nd implement I bought for my 1025R was a Frontier 60 inch box blade. The first purchase, and most used thing I bought was pallet forks.

Like you, I wanted the box blade for maintaining a gravel driveway. In my case it is around 300 feet. I wanted the 60 inch so that it would extend beyond the 48 inch spacing or width of the tractor wheels. The 60 inch BB has served well for initial gravel drive leveling, but I have found it a strain on the 1025 for other jobs, particularly with the scarifiers. I just used the blade, without scarifiers, for the driveway. For use with the scarifiers, 4 wd low and front weights and minimal scarifier depth are recommended (by me).

Once the driveway was adequately leveled, I found little reason to use the box blade on it. The FEL bucket works fine for limited spots, and leveling is done almost exclusively with a galvanized steel drag mat. For full disclosure, my gravel drive is what around here is called "equestrian mix," with the gravel small enough so that it packs down smoothly and will support a horse hoof. The standard crusher run stuff is not friendly to horse hooves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragmat.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	564257

It's been almost 2 years since I've used the box blade. All the pastures are now leveled and growing. The box blade is parked in the back of my shed, and if someone local made a reasonable offer, I'd sell it in a heartbeat.
    keane, greenharley and Robnik like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:36 PM
    Thanks
    Just throwing this out there. Have you looked at a land plane? I have read a lot of good things about then in terms of maintaining a gravel road/driveway. I have never used one personally though.

I have a box blade and use it with my X585 mainly to maintain our gravel road between visits from the city's grader. It works but I have to watch it. Our gravel road is more dirt than rock and I have to catch it at the right time. If it is too moist, the BB will collect too much material. I can lift it with the 3pt when full but I also pretty much loose all steering ability because it unloads the front end too much if it is jammed up with too much dirt. I could put some suitcase weights on the front but normally I just knock out the dirt and continue on. Mine has scarifiers but I have never really used them. Since the grader takes care of the heavy work I am mainly filling the potholes that form where there is a stop sign and it goes from gravel to the asphalt county road. Though the city recently paved another 30' of our road so I haven't needed to do any work down there in the last couple years. I have never used it for sand but have use it along with the FEL for spreading dirt in the yard and it works well for that. I also use it for ballast when I move my suitcase weights over to my Z950R when running the MCS for fall/spring cleanup.
    Oscar Leroy and Robnik like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-06-2018 @ 01:32 PM
    Thanks
    I have not looked into other implements very much. Just figured or thought a box blade was the goto to maintaina gravel driveway, but do have other yard projects in mind i thought a box blade would help with. But main thing is fixing and leveling out my driveway that gets pounded with pot holes when it rains.
    Robnik likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:56 PM
    Thanks
    I have not looked into other implements very much. Just figured or thought a box blade was the goto to maintaina gravel driveway, but do have other yard projects in mind i thought a box blade would help with. But main thing is fixing and leveling out my driveway that gets pounded with pot holes when it rains.
    I’ve had 3. I have an 84 inch woods now that is great for spreading material, leveling, grading. I use my 72 inch landscape rake for keeping the driveway in shape and a bit of snow removal when it’s just a few inches.

On my 28hp 4200, I had a 60 inch box that was manageable, but close to the limit for that tractor.

I like having the rake and the box, if I had to have one, I’d get a rake. But with Brian’s top and tilt, the box is amazingly efficient at grading.
    Robnik likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:29 PM
    Thanks
    Check out the everythingattachments 54” land shark box blade made specifically for a scut, it also comes in a 48” model but I went with the 54” model and liked it. I ended up selling it and buying a land plane though. You may want to check those out also before purchasing a box blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Robnik likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-26-2019 @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks

I have a 5' Box Blade for my 1023e & like it. I have a sloped dirt driveway that washes out frequently. Our soil seems like 70% rocks. The box works good both for summer maint & snow removal. The adjustable scrapers are helpful for breaking up ice. I'm using all the harvested rocks for stone walls.
    Robnik likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast