Quick Hitch & Plow Combo Advice x758

Thread: Quick Hitch & Plow Combo Advice x758

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks

Quick Hitch & Plow Combo Advice x758

Havenít looked much into purchasing a quick hitch for my x758 so I could use some help. Iím Looking to put together a front Mount dethatcher that works with the quick hitch for ease of use.

I Found a guy locally selling a 54Ē plow and quick hitch that looks to be in exceptional shape for $1k. I donít have much need at the moment for a plow since I have a newer Ariens sbowblower (maybe use it for some light dirt work???) That being said I figured if I ever got a plow Iíd get a CTA 66Ē to actually clear the entire wheelbase when the blade was angled, 54Ē apparently barely covers the wheelbase.

The deal might be too good to pass up and not get both, even if I part out the plow and keep the hitch.

Any input or suggestions on what heís selling vs my game plan is welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7BFC6373-7A02-420B-9BA2-23BD488C8583_1520436882245.png
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:36 PM
    Thanks
    Personally I prefer my plow to my snow blower. This is the first winter in about 4 years that I have put my bower on. Even if that means I have to go out mid storm to plow I would rather do that. I only broke down this year to put the blower on a couple weeks back when we got 12" of wet, heavy snow. That is where the blower really does a good job. I find that the blower works fine as long as there is enough snow. We seem to get a lot of 1-3" fluffy snow and the blower (at lest my JD blower) has a hard time with this as it seems to push it around more than blow and then because it is so fluffy it blows back on me and without a cab it gets pretty darn cold when that happens. I have way too much driveway to use a walk behind blower. As it is it takes me about 2hrs with the blower should I need it. I would be there all day with a smaller unit. So 99.9% of the time I am plowing. If I lived in an area with lake effect snow where if it snows it is 6" or more then I would use the blower more. We see more nuisance snow than big snow.

As far as this. I don't know what the going rate is for them. You mentioned you wanted a bigger plow. There are extension wings available for them to make is wider. I really don't have an issue with current width. Keep in mind that while I have a X585 it is an old X5xx series machine before the did the renumbering so it is closer in size to that of a X7xx machine of today. One thing to keep in mind and maybe wings would help with this. When I plow I typically have the blade angled as you mentioned. The first path I am opening up a lane. Then the next passes I am running with the pile of snow hitting about right in the middle of the blade. So tire width doesn't matter that much. If I did add wings I guess it would push it a little further out.

The blade works for dirt work but I have to say I never use mine for that. It is much easier to use my FEL on the front and box blade on the rear so that is my go-to setup for when I am fixing the yard in the spring. I have used the blade for this before getting the B and FEL but it was a lot harder to smooth out the dirt. That is the problem with the current generation of X7xx machines, the FEL is no longer an option. Also another point on the wings. If you got into a lot of dirt work, I don't know if they recommend wings. No experience with them so I don't know how strong they are. I just see them used more for snow than dirt work.

There are a couple options with wings such as the rubber ones here.

54 Plow Products

Or John Deere ones that are metal.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...t-LP53767.html

Each has its pros and cons.

Also look at that first link they have some more info on the blower vs blade for snow work and some different wear edges. I have been thinking about trying the rubber edge that people are talking about. Not sure how it works with dirt but as I mentioned I don't care about that. I only use it for snow.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Personally I prefer my plow to my snow blower. This is the first winter in about 4 years that I have put my bower on. Even if that means I have to go out mid storm to plow I would rather do that. I only broke down this year to put the blower on a couple weeks back when we got 12" of wet, heavy snow. That is where the blower really does a good job. I find that the blower works fine as long as there is enough snow. We seem to get a lot of 1-3" fluffy snow and the blower (at lest my JD blower) has a hard time with this as it seems to push it around more than blow and then because it is so fluffy it blows back on me and without a cab it gets pretty darn cold when that happens. I have way too much driveway to use a walk behind blower. As it is it takes me about 2hrs with the blower should I need it. I would be there all day with a smaller unit. So 99.9% of the time I am plowing. If I lived in an area with lake effect snow where if it snows it is 6" or more then I would use the blower more. We see more nuisance snow than big snow.

As far as this. I don't know what the going rate is for them. You mentioned you wanted a bigger plow. There are extension wings available for them to make is wider. I really don't have an issue with current width. Keep in mind that while I have a X585 it is an old X5xx series machine before the did the renumbering so it is closer in size to that of a X7xx machine of today. One thing to keep in mind and maybe wings would help with this. When I plow I typically have the blade angled as you mentioned. The first path I am opening up a lane. Then the next passes I am running with the pile of snow hitting about right in the middle of the blade. So tire width doesn't matter that much. If I did add wings I guess it would push it a little further out.

The blade works for dirt work but I have to say I never use mine for that. It is much easier to use my FEL on the front and box blade on the rear so that is my go-to setup for when I am fixing the yard in the spring. I have used the blade for this before getting the B and FEL but it was a lot harder to smooth out the dirt. That is the problem with the current generation of X7xx machines, the FEL is no longer an option. Also another point on the wings. If you got into a lot of dirt work, I don't know if they recommend wings. No experience with them so I don't know how strong they are. I just see them used more for snow than dirt work.

There are a couple options with wings such as the rubber ones here.

54 Plow Products

Or John Deere ones that are metal.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...t-LP53767.html

Each has its pros and cons.

Also look at that first link they have some more info on the blower vs blade for snow work and some different wear edges. I have been thinking about trying the rubber edge that people are talking about. Not sure how it works with dirt but as I mentioned I don't care about that. I only use it for snow.

Thank you for the feedback. I wish I would swing the funds for a blower however it's overkill for my smaller driveway. Even my 28" walk behind is a little excessive but it makes light work of anything I throw at it. A bucket would be a lot better for dirt, that's where a CTC loader would come into play rather than renting a loader and tractor for a weekend.

I think I might end up pulling the trigger on the 54" plow combo set that was listed in the craigslist add. It will give me the QH I need for the dethatcher plus will unlock all other front end attachments, including the 54" plow that would be mint for use when it's fluffy 1-3" powder or slush. Someday at the next house I can consider the 47" blower. The loader might be held off until that time too as I'd rather have something more capable like a 2 series.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:36 PM
    Thanks
    I will say where the blower is nice is if you live in more of an open area where the snow tends to drift. We don't get too much drifting as we are sheltered enough from that by the trees.

A co-worker has a 1/4 mile driveway on a house built along the edge of a field and his first winter was pretty rough. All he had was a blade on the front of his ATV. It would create piles on the side then just about every night the snow would drift right over the driveway. He ended up getting a 2 series a few years back with a blower and it works much better.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements