54” Snowblower Shear Pin Location?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 54” Snowblower Shear Pin Location?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:35 PM
    Thanks

54” Snowblower Shear Pin Location?

Anyone know if a new snowblower would come with extra shear pins on them somewhere? I thought I read on the forum one time that there was? Tried to do a quick search and couldnt find anything. Was hopin for a quick answer here. But i guess i can check the manual. Wanted to know bfore I start removing the covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 1025r - Amazing Machine!
    1969 112 - May need a rebuild

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 AM
    Thanks
    They are not a pin, but rather a 1/4" bolt. The blowers come with a row of spares bolted into the rear of the main housing, just below the chute.
    jgayman likes this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks!! Im assuming thats what these are?

etcallhome and jgayman like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-01-2019 @ 10:37 AM
    Thanks
    correct
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2timmy View Post
    Anyone know if a new snowblower would come with extra shear pins on them somewhere? I thought I read on the forum one time that there was? Tried to do a quick search and couldnt find anything. Was hopin for a quick answer here. But i guess i can check the manual. Wanted to know bfore I start removing the covers.

Make sure if you ever shear a pin, which does happen, that you only replace it with a comparable "Soft" bolt of the same length, material grade and hardness. Also, never substitute any other type of item such as a clevis pin, etc. for the shear pin as the material grade may be very different and the pin won't break when needed to prevent further damage.

The head of the shear pin bolt indicates it's hardness and shear pins are usually at the soft end of the spectrum so they can break when under excessive loads. When replacing them, make sure to keep the replacements equally soft to preserve the machine through these events.

The shear pins serve a very important function and shearing them prevents serious damage to other more expensive and robust components. Breaking shear pins can occur more often in conditions of ice or when the snow has thawed and refroze or when there is ice involved in the storm. Rarely will just heavy volumes of snow break a shear pin.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard people who have broken more than one shear pin say "I need to find better shear pins", which are often nothing more than non hardened bolts, typically 1/4 inch. This is a terrible idea. The shear pins serve a critical function and you may experience conditions where you might shear pins seemingly often, but those conditions tend to come and go and it's not the norm to break these often.

Last winter, I had a piece of ice that made it past the main auger on the 47" blower, did not break any shear pins and damaged the main impeller, which on the 47" two stage blower is made of heavy steel. The ice actually bent the flange on one of the impeller's auger out of position by over 1", effectively taking the pitch out of it and straightening it. I had to take the impeller out of the blower and heat the bent vane red hot with a cutting torch to be able to re-position it to restore balance to the impeller, otherwise, the machine would shake violently when running. So damage can still occur to blower components when the shear bolts don't break.
    etcallhome likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

t2timmy (03-08-2018)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Got it! Thanks everyone!

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Make sure if you ever shear a pin, which does happen, that you only replace it with a comparable "Soft" bolt of the same length, material grade and hardness. Also, never substitute any other type of item such as a clevis pin, etc. for the shear pin as the material grade may be very different and the pin won't break when needed to prevent further damage.

The head of the shear pin bolt indicates it's hardness and shear pins are usually at the soft end of the spectrum so they can break when under excessive loads. When replacing them, make sure to keep the replacements equally soft to preserve the machine through these events.

The shear pins serve a very important function and shearing them prevents serious damage to other more expensive and robust components. Breaking shear pins can occur more often in conditions of ice or when the snow has thawed and refroze or when there is ice involved in the storm. Rarely will just heavy volumes of snow break a shear pin.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard people who have broken more than one shear pin say "I need to find better shear pins", which are often nothing more than non hardened bolts, typically 1/4 inch. This is a terrible idea. The shear pins serve a critical function and you may experience conditions where you might shear pins seemingly often, but those conditions tend to come and go and it's not the norm to break these often.

Last winter, I had a piece of ice that made it past the main auger on the 47" blower, did not break any shear pins and damaged the main impeller, which on the 47" two stage blower is made of heavy steel. The ice actually bent the flange on one of the impeller's auger out of position by over 1", effectively taking the pitch out of it and straightening it. I had to take the impeller out of the blower and heat the bent vane red hot with a cutting torch to be able to re-position it to restore balance to the impeller, otherwise, the machine would shake violently when running. So damage can still occur to blower components when the shear bolts don't break.
    The second stage impellers are now plastic.
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    647 Tiller

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    The second stage impellers are now plastic.
    You can replace the plastic... err... um... I mean "poly" impeller with a steel impeller for ~$250.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    You can replace the plastic... err... um... I mean "poly" impeller with a steel impeller for ~$250.
    Hopefully, I'll never find out. Hind sight being 20-20, I should have kept my 46 Snow Throwers and changed out the upstop, driveshaft. and added line extenders. I like the way it operated better than the 47. Less moving parts to fail, as well.
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    647 Tiller

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    my 54" blower has a plastic impeller probably made from recycled hair brushes, gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling whenever it spits out an ice chunk, bought in 2015. Yes, always replace a broken shear bolt with the correct one, or you can kiss your gearbox goodbye
    Last edited by AJgrn78; 03-08-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast