Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Rear-mount snow blowers

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-08-2018 @ 05:33 PM
    Thanks

Rear-mount snow blowers

Enlighten me here. Why would you ever buy a a snow blower that you had to use backing up? This defies logic to me and it would just give me a kink in the neck. I think that I can remove snow just fine with a blade, or a bucket and not go in reverse.
    mjncad and Herminator like this.
    John Deere 3038e w/loader, six-foot rear blade, four-foot rotary mower
    International 656 w/grapple bucket
    Kawasaki Mule FX Pro
    Northstar 37-ton log splitter
    Stihl 441 w/muffler mod
    Stihl 361 w/muffler mod
    Stihl 260 w/muffler mod
    Stihl 250

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhooper View Post
    Enlighten me here. Why would you ever buy a a snow blower that you had to use backing up? This defies logic to me and it would just give me a kink in the neck. I think that I can remove snow just fine with a blade, or a bucket and not go in reverse.
    Because it gives you the option of plowing with the bucket, plow, snow pusher, etc.
    Then if the S really hits the fan, you have the option of the blower.
    I have a 3 point Frontier. Makes for great traction most of the storms. And I’m fine with that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25ABA7F9-F8E0-4738-99FE-757EC12FA3C9.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	567353
    mjncad, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 6 others like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:10 PM
    Thanks
    I plow is fine if you have some place to push the snow to. I don't like have piles or banks in my yard as they tend to create drifts. The driveway at my cabin is lined with trees so the snow cant be pushed off very far with a plow. A snow blower can throw the snow into the woods , plus it dosnt make piles that stick around to mid June.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    [Note: apologies, I thought you were questioning a rear blower compared to a front-mount blower]

I can think of a "few" reasons:

1. It enables you to continue to use the loader during winter for other duties (bucket, forks, plow, etc.)
    2. A 3PH snow blower is around 1/2 the price of a comparable front blower
    3. 3PH snow blowers are typically built much heavier
    4. 3PH snow blowers will typically handle deeper snow and throw the snow farther due to their large impellers
    5. 3PH snow blowers are available in a wider range of sizes
    6. 3PH snow blowers are available from a wide variety of manufacturers
    7. 3PH snow blowers are tractor make/model independent (front mounts typically only fit a few models / years)
    8. 3PH snow blowers are typically easier to resell because they are tractor independent
    9. Third party 3PH snow blowers typically have better parts availability and a longer parts availability life
    10. 3PH snow blowers are typically faster to attach/detach (at least those that are quick hitch compatible)

The only real disadvantage of a 3PH snow blower is that you have to drive in reverse to use it.

When comparing to a plow... when using a plow you must plow with the storm. That could mean going out every couple hours and removing snow whereas with a snow blower you can typically wait till the storm is over and remove the snow all at once.
    Last edited by jgayman; 03-10-2018 at 06:26 PM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (03-16-2018), Herminator (03-10-2018), Kennyd (03-11-2018), PJR832 (03-10-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Rear blower is the only option I'd consider. It makes short work of big snow and I love having my loader on to pile it. Also need my loader to push back the banks around my mail box. My snow ain't kids stuff. We're talking 4ft banks of hard ass packed icey snow out by the road. No blower could handle it without busting shear pins. If I don't clear the banks so they can pull over and reach my box they won't deliver. Beyond that. It's awesome to be able to swap to forks and the blower is fantastic ballast. When spring comes. The blower is off in seconds. When winter comes. It's on in seconds. I get it that some folks who might have mobility issues wouldn't like it. But lookin' behind doesn't bother me one bit.
    mjncad, pcabe5, OldmanX and 6 others like this.
    2014 1023E - R4 Tires - H120 Loader - Ballast Box - Forward lighting kit with Artillian horse blinders - 48" Ratchet Rake Snow Edge - 42" HLA Forks
    2017 Z540R - 54" High Capacity Deck - Forward Lighting & Mulch Kit - 60" Farm King Rear Snow Blower

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhooper View Post
    Imagine waking up to 30+ inches of snow like we did two years ago. Where are you going to go with a bucket? A plow? With a snow blower (rear or front) you engage the PTO and just start driving out of the garage.

The absolute best scenario to have if you can is to have both tools available. A plow when it's appropriate and a blower for when it is appropriate.
    mjncad, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 8 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    [Note: apologies, I thought you were questioning a rear blower compared to a front-mount blower]

I can think of a "few" reasons:

1. It enables you to continue to use the loader during winter for other duties (bucket, forks, plow, etc.)
    2. A 3PH snow blower is around 1/2 the price of a comparable front blower
    3. 3PH snow blowers are typically built much heavier
    4. 3PH snow blowers will typically handle deeper snow and throw the snow farther due to their large impellers
    5. 3PH snow blowers are available in a wider range of sizes
    6. 3PH snow blowers are available from a wide variety of manufacturers
    7. 3PH snow blowers are tractor make/model independent (front mounts typically only fit a few models / years)
    8. 3PH snow blowers are typically easier to resell because they are tractor independent
    9. Third party 3PH snow blowers typically have better parts availability and a longer parts availability life
    10. 3PH snow blowers are typically faster to attach/detach (at least those that are quick hitch compatible)

The only real disadvantage of a 3PH snow blower is that you have to drive in reverse to use it.

When comparing to a plow... when using a plow you must plow with the storm. That could mean going out every couple hours and removing snow whereas with a snow blower you can typically wait till the storm is over and remove the snow all at once.
    All great points Jay
    pcabe5, Ray_PA, OldmanX and 3 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Thanks
    Everyone likes what they like, but if you plan to get a rear mount PTO snowblower, first take your tractor out to your driveway and back down your driveway several times to see if you can deal with looking backwards for that amount of time, and by the way, when you do this backing test, be sure to have the FEL mounted so you have to deal with the FEL hanging out the front. Just saying??
    mjncad, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 7 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (03-16-2018), John Deere 1025R TLB (03-11-2018), sbhooper (03-17-2018)

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Everyone likes what they like, but if you plan to get a rear mount PTO snowblower, first take your tractor out to your driveway and back down your driveway several times to see if you can deal with looking backwards for that amount of time, and by the way, when you do this backing test, be sure to have the FEL mounted so you have to deal with the FEL hanging out the front. Just saying??

Great fantastic point. Staying in a straight line going backwards along a fence, trees, or hedge row becomes an issue not hitting stuff. A safety thing with the bucket hanging out there too. Swing around and not hit stuff as your turned around looking backwards snow blowing. Swinging the bucket into the pickup truck as your turned backwards blowing snow would not be pretty picture. A kink in the neck and discomfort is just not worth the cost savings. Driving forward is quite natural. Twisting around with a body that is closer to death than it is from birth is not in the oversized waist line interest of many that own these mighty tractors. Even a young youthful person would prefer driving forward just from the stand point of ease of use and comfort. Having attachments (front bucket & rear blower) on the tractor at both ends makes for one long piece of equipment to manipulate.

But there are attachments to suit the needs or wants of each persons preferences and or budget. A well informed buyer generally makes a better choice for his needs.
    mjncad, pappa and sbhooper like this.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Both are nice front or rear,but this why JD made attachments quick hitch.Bucket comes off easy blower to plow easy exchange,and the rear quick hitch easy on and off.
    Every snow situation is different whether its type of snow and where you have to put it.
    mjncad, ColonyPark, Ray_PA and 2 others like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller