Anybody use the forks on their tractor to remove/install a pickup truck topper?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Anybody use the forks on their tractor to remove/install a pickup truck topper?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 02:08 AM
    Thanks

Anybody use the forks on their tractor to remove/install a pickup truck topper?

I'm going to buy a new implement and I can save a hundred bucks on shipping if I pick it up at the shipper's depot about 35 miles away. I have a topper on the back of my pickup that may need to come off for the new implement to fit.

I'm wondering if anybody uses the forks on their tractor to remove and install their truck topper. My topper is 6 feet long and about 200 lbs. My forks are 36 inches. I'll have to remove the topper's window at the back (which is designed to be easy to do). But with the window and structure at the front of the topper, it's center of gravity is going to be past the end of my forks. To keep it from falling off, I'm thinking of buying a 2 foot trailer hitch extension and putting in it the trailer receiver on the fork frame. (It as well as the forks will have to be padded to prevent scratching.) So I'll sandwich the topper between the forks and the bar protruding from the trailer hitch. What could go wrong?

I'd appreciate your wisdom regarding the approach I proposed and especially any other ideas you may have. I've wanted to take the topper off many times to get landscaping materials. I'm hoping there's a simple and safe way to do it.
    HomesteadJoe likes this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    You can get fork extensions such as these https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Pallet-.../dp/B00YQ9U1CI that should do the job just fine. Just Google pallet fork extensions. Many choices out there.

Dave
    mjncad, OxPath and keane like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:15 AM
    Thanks
    X2 on Pallet Forks Extensions.

Doug
    OxPath and keane like this.
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Terraking TKV20 Material Collection System

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    A boom pole is my preferred method, I never could figure out a good way to do it with forks with out damaging the topper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20171003_154756744.jpg  
    mjncad, PaDave, OxPath and 9 others like this.
    2008 3320 -- 2014 X739

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eric102 For This Useful Post:

keane (03-14-2018), mjncad (03-14-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 AM
    Thanks
    I have an 8 foot cap, with the 4 ft forks, I put a piece of wood inside between the forks and cap, also tie off a rope to the front of the cap and run it back to the tractor, also park the truck on an up hill slope, it comes off just fine, but mine is still front end heavy, so I just pick it up, drive the truck away(quickly), then lower the cap down where the tractor sits, also works for putting it back on but a little more interesting.
    OxPath, BigJim55, keane and 2 others like this.
    2025r fel snowblower

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wildbranch2007 For This Useful Post:

keane (03-14-2018)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Thanks
    Not a topper but I have a 6X10 plywood box that is 42" tall that I put on my dump trailer for sucking leaves and I strap an 8' 4x4 to each fork and take it easy. Works great.
    OxPath, BigJim55 and keane like this.
    2016 3039R 165FEL / Woods RM660 / Fimco 40gal 3pt / Frontier 1060 Aerator / Frontier subsoiler / 3 pt spreader / HLA pallet forks / 6ft blade / 6ft Lucknow 3pt snowblower / $50 boom pole that never gets used anymore

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aclass For This Useful Post:

keane (03-14-2018)

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Thanks
    A six pack, and a couple buddies.
    problem solved.
    jd 2320, sb1154 blower, 60" cotech snow pusher, 48" walco douglas finish mower,200cx loader, 5' box scraper

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks

Topper Shelter

I built an 8'x8' shelter for my topper. I left the sides open. Using pulleys mounted to a beam in the rafters, I attached a rope that hooks to small tow straps and the straps connect to these flat hooks I bought from Amazon. What once was a killer job for me and my wife can now be done by me alone. I can back under the shelter, attach the hooks to the bottom corners of the fiberglass topper, pull the rope that's attached to the pulleys, and I'm clear of the truck. Tie the rope off and pull away. Installation is just the reverse of this.

I bought the 1025R after I built the shelter. Winter happened and I needed to get the tractor under cover, so I'm parking it under the shelter until I get my garage addition built. You can see in the pic below that I covered the sides/rear of the shelter with sunshade cloth to keep the snow from blowing it. I'll probably end up with a boom for the JD and can see that these hooks could still be used with the boom.

First time attaching pics- not sure if this is going to work. I originally tried doing an 'image upload' from my computer but got a 'null' error...

Message - Green Tractor Talk Photo Gallery
    -> 2017 John Deere 1025R TLB
    -> Piranha Tooth Bar
    -> 4' County Line Tiller
    -> John Deere Ballast Box
    -> 5" County Line Scraper Blade
    -> County Line Carry-All
    -> County Line Boom Pole
    -> 36" Titan Forks
    -> Ken's Hooks
    -> HF Quick Hitch

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,632 Posts
    When I had my truck with caps I've slid the cap to the back of the truck with me inside , and then carried the cap over to some saw horses.

I've also lifted the cap, slid some 3/8 rope between cap and bed rail. then connected them to pulley system I had in the garage. Lift it up and a few inches pull out from under the cap and away you go. I always had the truck backed up a foot or two further in the garage so I wouldn't hit the cap backing in the garage.

One or two of the caps had ladder racks, so just connect the ropes from the pulleys system and lift away
    Last edited by etcallhome; 03-14-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    OxPath, BigJim55, keane and 1 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    When I had my truck with caps I've slid the cap to the back of the truck with me inside , and then carried the cap over to some saw horses.
    I remember being able to do that when I was much younger and the cap was aluminum;-)
    OxPath, BigJim55, mark02tj and 2 others like this.
    2008 3320 -- 2014 X739

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast