Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: 3-Point log splitter

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Thanks

3-Point log splitter

Iím starting to look for a log splitter. I have the dual rear SCVs being installed on my 2038r currently. Iíd like a hydraulic powered splitter that is also JD quick hitch compatible. Thatís the real hard thing to find. So many splitters out there itís hard to get that type of info. TBH Iím not sure what tonnage splitter is should be looking for. Itís just for what I can burn in my wood stove in central VA so itís not like I seriously need a lot of heat from it. Most trees Iíd be splitting are in the 16-22Ē diameter range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 2038r 72Ē MMM Command Cut 220r loader
    greenharley likes this.
    2017 2038r R4s with filled rear, iMatch, 72" MMM, 220R loader with standard bucket, Artillian forks, Woodmax FM-62" flail mower, EA 66" Box blade, Deere KBL 6' discs, cultivator, subsoiler, ballast box full of concrete, single point loader connector, rear dual SCVs, hydraulic top & tilt.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    Try this one. I personally would try to go with a 30 ton though.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2933_200632933
    greenharley likes this.
    JD 3032E, D160 FEL, Beet Juice, i Match, JD Ballast Box, W R Long 4 in 1 bucket, Edge Tamers, RB2072, Ken's Bolt on Hooks, Action TrackChair ST-22, Stihl 291

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Thanks
    I use a regular hydraulic splitter with a 5-8 HP Engine I would hate to run the tractor engine just to split wood? Splitters are so cheap now. Had mine over 15+ years and is a 20 ton model and will spit our 3-5 cord a year of fir and tamarack we put up. We heat only with wood 6 months of the year mostly. This way you leave the splitter being used by the stack while you go get more fire wood. Then while it is being split throw it in the bucket to take it where you stack the wood. This way your tractor is not tied up to a splitter and cost wise may be cheaper in the end. Just my thought but a splitter run off the tractor would be nice. I want a 35KW generator to run off mine sometime. If I get one I will set up a 400 amp transfer switch and do it right. I do know my tractor gets good 1/2-3/4 GPH dealing with snow. Not sure I want my tractor floored for hours/days on end to get 540 PTO RPMs??
    greenharley and 69project like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    I agree I have a 24 ton with a 8 horse Honda Motor that I have had since 94. I know we have continuous flow switch on our 2038 but I would hate to run my tractor at PYO speed that amount of time. You can get a nice stand alone splitter pretty reasonable
    greenharley and JD4044M like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamone View Post
    Iím starting to look for a log splitter. I have the dual rear SCVs being installed on my 2038r currently. Iíd like a hydraulic powered splitter that is also JD quick hitch compatible. Thatís the real hard thing to find. So many splitters out there itís hard to get that type of info. TBH Iím not sure what tonnage splitter is should be looking for. Itís just for what I can burn in my wood stove in central VA so itís not like I seriously need a lot of heat from it. Most trees Iíd be splitting are in the 16-22Ē diameter range.

I have to agree with the rest of them on here. I split wood for our heating and would hate to not have my tractor while splitting. I use the tractor to carry the wood to the staging area. 20 - 25 ton splitters can be found on CL for around $500 - $600. We bought our for $500, it is a 24 ton and has spit everything I have put in it. When I am done with it, I just run the engine until it runs out of fuel or split until it runs out of fuel before storing it as it may set for a few months before using it. Especially in the summer.
    greenharley and Rodehard like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    I have a Powerhorse log splitter and love it, I do not split wood for house heating, just the fireplace. Works great, just fits my quick hitch, and I added length to the tongue of my kart, so I can split wood and put in kart which is below and behind splitter.
    Cut up to 20” round oak no problem. If I had to cut several cords a year, might have gone to a separate splitter as others have said.

I have had tractor for 9 years, with all duty’s has 277 hrs on it.
    Last edited by fdmars; 03-15-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added hrs
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60Ē land plane and 60Ē finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9Ē auger, ďThe thumbĒ add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,306 Posts
    You have to take into consideration the hydraulic flow rate of your tractor. From what I have read over the years a splitter run from these small tractor hydraulics is painfully slow.

Look at the flow rate of a dedicated splitter and compare that to the available flow of your rear SCV.

Back in the day when I did all my own firewood I got into a rythym - a slow splitter would not have worked.
    greenharley and JD4044M like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with the majority of replies. Get a stand alone splitter if you are going to be splitting more than just campfire wood. We heat the house and shop with wood supplemented by lp. With large rounds I can use the tractor to lift them on to the splitter instead of putting the splitter in the vertical position. Watch CL. We bought a 34 ton with a 10 hp honda engine about six years ago for $900 off CL. The size you need depends on what wood you will be splitting. I'm sure a 20 ton would be fine for pine, poplar and other soft woods. For oak, elm, walnut, and locust like we split I wouldn't go any less than 27 ton.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2017 2038r, Toro Z-Master 27hp 52" deck ( the Buck and the Bull ) 220r FEL, 61" bucket, 60" Autoconnect MMM with command cut, 270b backhoe RB2060L rear blade, BB5060 box blade, Speeco quick hitch, Piranha 53" tooth bar, Land Pride rta1050 tiller, Baker 24 PTO Chipper/ Shreader, Herd fertilizer/seed spreader,16 JD 42 pound weights, Heavy Hitch front and rear weight brackets with 2" receiver, KBOH Hooks and Clevis bracket. Titan 36" forks with receiver hitch.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Thanks
    Good to know on the tonnage. I totally get the speed thing and why a stand alone makes more sense. But I also really donít want another engine to maintain. Also a 3-point hutch splitter is also smaller so storage in the limited garage space is easier. I have two wood piles side by side just behind my shed. One for split and one to split. So I donít have to move lumber just before or during splitting. I have a gravel area right up to both piles where Iíll split. I just measured the logs I have in the pile. Largest is 19Ē most are ~14Ē. Most of it is oak and beech. I donít need that much wood. I split everything this last winter by hand with a maul so Iím not that worried about the splitter speed.

greenharley likes this.
    2017 2038r R4s with filled rear, iMatch, 72" MMM, 220R loader with standard bucket, Artillian forks, Woodmax FM-62" flail mower, EA 66" Box blade, Deere KBL 6' discs, cultivator, subsoiler, ballast box full of concrete, single point loader connector, rear dual SCVs, hydraulic top & tilt.

12. Top | #10
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Thanks
    It would be painfully Sloooow. Plus you would want to haul the wood to the splitter location with something. Like a tractor. Don't feel left out. I too thought of this until I researched and stumbled upon the flow rate issue. You could probably burn it faster than you could split it using the tractor hydraulics. But if like you said, speed is not a priority, then have at it. I'd like to see the setup anyway.
    Last edited by Big; 03-15-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    greenharley and GWT3046r like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast