Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Another Spreader thread for a 2320/2025R tractor

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 12:48 PM
    Thanks

Another Spreader thread for a 2320/2025R tractor

I've been reading and reading and still not coming to any good conclusion, so I figured I'd try a thread specific to my questions.

What I've got is 1 acre of actual mow-able yard to maintain (out of my 3 acres total.)

After a lengthy conversation with my local Penn State Ag Extension Office, I've decided to go with granular fertilizer and herbicides sourced locally. The decision is now needed on what to use:
    1. walk-behind
    2. tow-behind
    3. 3PH mount

My 1 acre that I mow is not a regular shape. Its the combination of several yard sections added together. (I live out of town, in a rural area, surrounded by some farmland, woods.) The walk-behind option is fine - no physical issues doing the job. But, I have a tractor, I'd like to be lazy.

I'm leaning towards a tow-behind, simply because a 175 lb unit would be "right-sized" for the job, but I fear that it will be difficult to handle since I'm on a higher tractor.

I'd love to buy a 3PH spreader, but it seems like COMPLETE overkill - every one of them is designed to hold several hundred pounds of material and they all throw 20+ feet wide. Perfect for a an acre or several pasture/field to maintain. But for several smaller sections? Doesn't seem like the right tool for the job.

I think my question that I'm getting around to is: are there any tow-behind models that I can reach from the seat of a 2320/2025R tractor? Anyone out there with actual experience using one on something bigger than a lawn tractor?
    John

2015 JD 2025R Classic - 54D, 220R FEL, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box, Frontier AF10F Plow, Frontier AP11F 42" Pallet Forks
    Tag Alongs: JD #15 Cart, 48" Poly Lawn Roller, JD Dethatcher
    Chainsaws: Echo CS-330T, Husqvarna 562XP-AT, Dolmar 7300
    Snowblower: Simplicity P1728E

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    04-16-2019 @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM45 View Post
    I've been reading and reading and still not coming to any good conclusion, so I figured I'd try a thread specific to my questions.

What I've got is 1 acre of actual mow-able yard to maintain (out of my 3 acres total.)

After a lengthy conversation with my local Penn State Ag Extension Office, I've decided to go with granular fertilizer and herbicides sourced locally. The decision is now needed on what to use:
    1. walk-behind
    2. tow-behind
    3. 3PH mount

My 1 acre that I mow is not a regular shape. Its the combination of several yard sections added together. (I live out of town, in a rural area, surrounded by some farmland, woods.) The walk-behind option is fine - no physical issues doing the job. But, I have a tractor, I'd like to be lazy.

I'm leaning towards a tow-behind, simply because a 175 lb unit would be "right-sized" for the job, but I fear that it will be difficult to handle since I'm on a higher tractor.

I'd love to buy a 3PH spreader, but it seems like COMPLETE overkill - every one of them is designed to hold several hundred pounds of material and they all throw 20+ feet wide. Perfect for a an acre or several pasture/field to maintain. But for several smaller sections? Doesn't seem like the right tool for the job.

I think my question that I'm getting around to is: are there any tow-behind models that I can reach from the seat of a 2320/2025R tractor? Anyone out there with actual experience using one on something bigger than a lawn tractor?
    Following...

I have exactly the same question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '13 2025r, 62" MMM, H130, 54" snow blade, Rim-guard in rear, R4s
    '04 x485SE 600 hours, MC519, (traded-in)
    140 pending restoration

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 10:06 PM
    Thanks
    I have a tow behind and it's ok. The biggest problem with the one I have (Agri-Fab) is that there isn't a remote start stop I can access from the tractor seat. Have to be careful and start/stop over the pavement or risk a large burned out area anyplace I stop. I'm looking at one of the receiver hitch mounted spreaders they make for UTV/SCUT. These use a 12V motor to drive the spreader. Kind of mixed reviews on them. Hope someone here has experience.
    JohnM45 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks
    Most spreaders that are towed is a bit small for a 2 series IMO. Perhaps something like this would work?

https://www.ruralking.com/king-kutte...CABEgJV-_D_BwE

It holds a few hundred lbs which is more than you stated needing but I'm having a hard time thinking of a towable spreader that holds under 200lbs and can be easily operated from a 2 series.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 03-20-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    BigJim55 and JohnM45 like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

JohnM45 (03-21-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    Most spreaders that are towed is a bit small for a 2 series IMO. Perhaps something like this would work?

https://www.ruralking.com/king-kutte...CABEgJV-_D_BwE

It holds a few hundred lbs which is more than you stated needing but I'm having a hard time thinking of a towable spreader that holds under 200lbs and can be easily operated from a 2 series.
    I definitely feel like I'm in that awkward size range. My tractor is not over-sized for the tasks and mowing it will do, but the spreader implements are too small or too big. That looks like a big version of a standard tow-behind and would be able to be reached from the tractor seat to engage/disengage I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion.

If I could find some information that told me I could really narrow down the spread swatch out of these larger tow-behind or 3PH mounted units, I'd be all about using one, I guess. A 20 foot spread just seems way too large for the areas I need to cover. I'll keep looking and researching, I guess.

It seems it might come down to just buying a quality walk-behind unit.
    John

2015 JD 2025R Classic - 54D, 220R FEL, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box, Frontier AF10F Plow, Frontier AP11F 42" Pallet Forks

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanB View Post
    I have a tow behind and it's ok. The biggest problem with the one I have (Agri-Fab) is that there isn't a remote start stop I can access from the tractor seat. Have to be careful and start/stop over the pavement or risk a large burned out area anyplace I stop. I'm looking at one of the receiver hitch mounted spreaders they make for UTV/SCUT. These use a 12V motor to drive the spreader. Kind of mixed reviews on them. Hope someone here has experience.
    I probably should look more into the ATV style units - it seems they are a blend between 3ph style and tow-behind. But, they use electric motors to spread. I think that's what always steered me away. I keep thinking those electric motors will never last. The other style units are more mechanical or pto driven.
    ky_shawn likes this.
    John

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM45 View Post
    I probably should look more into the ATV style units - it seems they are a blend between 3ph style and tow-behind. But, they use electric motors to spread. I think that's what always steered me away. I keep thinking those electric motors will never last. The other style units are more mechanical or pto driven.
    I wouldn't dismiss all electric spreaders. I have an electric broadcast spreader for my four wheeler and that poor thing has been used, abused, left out in the rain/snow, loaned out to friends/family who have the unique ability of being so destructive they could probably destroy concrete slabs with rubber mallets and that little spreader has held up extremely well!

My electric spreader looks like it's been beat to death and really, it has. There is no guessing at how many lbs of seed and fertilizer that spreader has broadcasted. There is very little to them as well, one bearing and the electric motor being replaced and I could consider mine "rebuilt" to keep throwing seed out of it.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 03-21-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    BigJim55, JohnM45 and goat704! like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Good to know - thanks! Having not really inspected one up close, I was afraid they'd be a bit delicate to some extent.

I gotta get something figured out sooner than later - gotta get crabgrass preventer down soon. Next week there will be a string of days in the 50's, which I'm sure will be a trigger for crabgrass seed germination. I'm on a mission to get it under control here - I'm over-run out back, not terribly out front. *sigh*
    John

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-25-2019 @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    I got a tow-behind. https://www.amazon.com/Agri-Fab-45-0...s=tow+spreader

My yard is fairly rectangular, but not level. Gently sloping/rolling.

This unit is decent quality and assembled without much trouble. I guess you could put a length of PVC pipe on the stop/start handle, but I haven't tried it yet. Yes, I expect to loose some, but be quick and go back with a small rake at the stop/start areas? I'm guessing bouncing around helps as much as the auger thingy at the bottom to keep things flowing.

I plan to put grass seed, fertilizer and maybe lime in mine. I feel that a drop spreader will get into the corners better, and keep stuff off the driveway, the side of the house and my neighbor's yard.

Guess I'll have to do a review someday; this seems to be a popular topic.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMMAC View Post
    I got a tow-behind. https://www.amazon.com/Agri-Fab-45-0...s=tow+spreader

My yard is fairly rectangular, but not level. Gently sloping/rolling.

This unit is decent quality and assembled without much trouble. I guess you could put a length of PVC pipe on the stop/start handle, but I haven't tried it yet. Yes, I expect to loose some, but be quick and go back with a small rake at the stop/start areas? I'm guessing bouncing around helps as much as the auger thingy at the bottom to keep things flowing.

I plan to put grass seed, fertilizer and maybe lime in mine. I feel that a drop spreader will get into the corners better, and keep stuff off the driveway, the side of the house and my neighbor's yard.

Guess I'll have to do a review someday; this seems to be a popular topic.
    I'm familiar with the Agri-Fab; they have a good reputation. What machine are you pulling it with? My questions are really around the ability to use a "garden" sized tow-behind from a larger 2-series CUT.
    John

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast