Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Best size straight blade for the 1025R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-23-2019 @ 09:00 AM
    Thanks

Best size straight blade for the 1025R

I'm looking at adding a 3 point straight blade (AKA, scrape blade) to my implement arsenal, but I'm debating on what size to look at.

I'm finding all kinds of used 6' blades locally, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a 5'. Not having used one or access to one to borrow to play with, I figured you knowledgeable folks might have some input.

I'm mainly going to be using it for grading on our place. I realize a box blade may be a better option for that kind of work, but I don't see paying 2x or more as much, plus the straight blades have the ability to pivot and I can use it to clear snow when the occasion arises.

Appreciate any helpful info!

In case there's any other terms that might be used and to clarify, this is what I'm looking at....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS-05-SCMP-SBLADE-2T.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	574881
    greenharley likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 09:40 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MRedshaw View Post
    I'm looking at adding a 3 point straight blade (AKA, scrape blade) to my implement arsenal, but I'm debating on what size to look at.

I'm finding all kinds of used 6' blades locally, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a 5'. Not having used one or access to one to borrow to play with, I figured you knowledgeable folks might have some input.

I'm mainly going to be using it for grading on our place. I realize a box blade may be a better option for that kind of work, but I don't see paying 2x or more as much, plus the straight blades have the ability to pivot and I can use it to clear snow when the occasion arises.

Appreciate any helpful info!

In case there's any other terms that might be used and to clarify, this is what I'm looking at....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS-05-SCMP-SBLADE-2T.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	574881
    I my opinion, you would be fine with 6'. I want mine wider than my wheel tracks even when angled.
    I use a 7' on my 2032 just for that reason.
    2017 2032R - 220r FEL, 72" mmm,Frontier 2084 blade ,JD 670 tiller, frontier 48" pallet forks, allied 2060 snowblower,JD 513 brush hog, EA 55" grapple,Frontier 2060 box blade, Farmi 351p logging winch
    LX 186 - 48" deck, 38" snowblower
    F 510
    GTX 38
    Cub Cadet GTX 1054
    2011 825i Gator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    If I could only own one it would be the rear blade which I use way more then the box blade which is still needed/used. I have a 8 ft blade on my 4044M that way it is wider then the wheel base angled and I can then cut snow wider on each pass with out driving on the berm if I want to. Glad I went big for grading and moving snow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks
    For heavy dirt work I’m going to say 54”. Any bigger and all you will get a lot of wheel spin with a 10xx.
    greenharley, PJR832 and MRedshaw like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 12:30 PM
    Thanks
    Also keep in mind if you want to spin the blade around to push with it while you are backing or backblade driving forward, if it's too wide you won't be able to clear the back tires when you try to rotate it into the desired position.
    Brian

2720 JD MCUT
    200CX Loader
    62D On Ramp Mid-Mount Mower
    61 Inch Bucket
    Grooved R4's
    Tiller King Kutter Professional Green 60-Inch TG-G-60-JP
    Rear Blade Woods 72-Inch
    Middle Buster King Kutter MB-YX

GT245 Garden Tractor

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 989 Posts
    Everybody is giving you great advice that I agree with. Personally, I have a 5' rear blade on my 1026R. I use it for snow duty, so far no dirt work....so far. I think the 5' is a good size. You might have to take smaller bites with dirt work, but it does spin completely around, so that is a plus.
    Jamie

2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    Everybody is giving you great advice that I agree with. Personally, I have a 5' rear blade on my 1026R. I use it for snow duty, so far no dirt work....so far. I think the 5' is a good size. You might have to take smaller bites with dirt work, but it does spin completely around, so that is a plus.
    I'm going to second the recommendation for a 5-foot blade. True, when the snow is light and fluffy you would have no problems working with a 6-footer but with heavy wet snow or ice you can have a hard time getting enough traction to get the longer blade through the snow. Notice I said traction. The 1025R has plenty of engine HP for a larger blade but keeping the tires hooked up with the ground is the biggest challenge.

I initially had a 6-foot blade on my 2720 and ended up swapping for a 5-footer. BTW - my 6-foot blade spun 360 degrees no problem. Yes, it just barely covers the rear wheels but I have had conditions where I couldn't pull or push even the 5-footer with all the tires spinning - and I have chains on all four tires and liquid filled rear tires.

I also like the maneuverability of the shorter blade as I have some tight spots I need to work with. I have a 54" snow blower on the front but 90% of my snow clearing work ends up being with the blade lately.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I'm going to second the recommendation for a 5-foot blade. True, when the snow is light and fluffy you would have no problems working with a 6-footer but with heavy wet snow or ice you can have a hard time getting enough traction to get the longer blade through the snow. Notice I said traction. The 1025R has plenty of engine HP for a larger blade but keeping the tires hooked up with the ground is the biggest challenge.

I initially had a 6-foot blade on my 2720 and ended up swapping for a 5-footer. BTW - my 6-foot blade spun 360 degrees no problem. Yes, it just barely covers the rear wheels but I have had conditions where I couldn't pull or push even the 5-footer with all the tires spinning - and I have chains on all four tires and liquid filled rear tires.

I also like the maneuverability of the shorter blade as I have some tight spots I need to work with. I have a 54" snow blower on the front but 90% of my snow clearing work ends up being with the blade lately.

Well said, and I agree about the 5' being better in tight quarters. I have been using my rear blade more in this weather too with the heavier, wet snow. Actually, that's why I have been nursing a sore back since Saturday.....I turned around quickly in the seat as I was blading off the driveway to see where I was going, and out went my back.
    Jamie

2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post

I agree with Jay on this, a 5 footer is definitely better for a 1 series IMO, but I also work in tight spaces with mine so the 5' works much better for that as well.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    I agree with Jay on this, a 5 footer is definitely better for a 1 series IMO, but I also work in tight spaces with mine so the 5' works much better for that as well.
    To be honest... I kind of feel silly as all my advice was based on snow use and I see the OP was primarily interested in grading.

The good news is the recommendation for a shorter 5-foot blade is probably even more applicable for dirt work with a 1-series.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast