Shopping for a broom
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Shopping for a broom

  1. Top | #1
    Drifterbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Location
    Hampton Ill
    Posts
    2,717
    Thanks
    1,086
    Thanked 318 Times in 279 Posts

    Shopping for a broom

    The older I get and the problem with my legs I don't want to walk around and pick up sticks after winter, I don't want to rake the gravel back into the driveway either. So I am thinking about a broom. I looked at the echo PAS system with a paddle but it runs around 800$. Called my salesman and to get a Deere 52" for my 1025R I would spend around 3200$ I have the quick hitch but don't have the drive shaft and other pieces I need. To move it up to the 60"HD on the 1025R is over 4000$. Just on happen chance I asked about my 2038R and found out they offer a complete package for the new 2038R through "Whole Goods" I can get around 5000$. That is for the complete setup. I do not have the front hitch so that is the complete front 3pt hitch and a 60"HD broom and all I need to hook it up. I know it is a lot of money and wifey is not sold on the idea but...I have about 4 acres I mow and to walk it and pick up sticks, and put gravel back in its place I think its the way to go. Any imput would help thanks
    BigJim55, jdmich and gbnpp05 like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    BigJim55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Location
    Schellsburg, PA
    Posts
    11,317
    Thanks
    3,077
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    The older I get and the problem with my legs I don't want to walk around and pick up sticks after winter, I don't want to rake the gravel back into the driveway either. So I am thinking about a broom. I looked at the echo PAS system with a paddle but it runs around 800$. Called my salesman and to get a Deere 52" for my 1025R I would spend around 3200$ I have the quick hitch but don't have the drive shaft and other pieces I need. To move it up to the 60"HD on the 1025R is over 4000$. Just on happen chance I asked about my 2038R and found out they offer a complete package for the new 2038R through "Whole Goods" I can get around 5000$. That is for the complete setup. I do not have the front hitch so that is the complete front 3pt hitch and a 60"HD broom and all I need to hook it up. I know it is a lot of money and wifey is not sold on the idea but...I have about 4 acres I mow and to walk it and pick up sticks, and put gravel back in its place I think its the way to go. Any imput would help thanks
    i say if it's gonna make ur life easier--go for it. give us some pics when u get it-and of course a action shot using it-ok
    jdmich and gbnpp05 like this.
    jim

    2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

    2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Location
    Near Roa. VA
    Posts
    3,661
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 453 Times in 345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    i say if it's gonna make ur life easier--go for it.
    give us some pics when u get it-and of course a action shot using it-ok
    Possibly, you can think outside the box,,,
    How big is the area that you want to pick up sticks from??

    The tool I used for a one acre lawn was a hay rake,,, it was shockingly great at windrowing sticks,,,.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

    Drifterbike (03-22-2018), Herminator (03-23-2018)

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle WV
    Posts
    1,039
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 168 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    Possibly, you can think outside the box,,,
    How big is the area that you want to pick up sticks from??

    The tool I used for a one acre lawn was a hay rake,,, it was shockingly great at windrowing sticks,,,.
    That's what I am thinking. Or contractor rake. I use the contractor rake to clean up my field with woods. Rake it to a row then use the FEL or grapple to pick them up. Surprisingly efficient.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

  8. Top | #5
    BigJim55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Location
    Schellsburg, PA
    Posts
    11,317
    Thanks
    3,077
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    Possibly, you can think outside the box,,,
    How big is the area that you want to pick up sticks from??

    The tool I used for a one acre lawn was a hay rake,,, it was shockingly great at windrowing sticks,,,.
    in my mind ur talking about an old steel wheel side rake. yeah-that would maybe work on sticks-but what about gravel
    don't think the tines are close enough for gravel-no matter if ya went over it a 100 times.
    em14 and ky_shawn like this.
    jim

    2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

    2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

  9. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:28 AM
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    363
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Pay two local kids $100 each to pick up sticks and rake. You can do that for the next 25 years for the cost of that broom.

  10. Top | #7
    BigJim55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Location
    Schellsburg, PA
    Posts
    11,317
    Thanks
    3,077
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voxombmx1 View Post
    Pay two local kids $100 each to pick up sticks and rake. You can do that for the next 25 years for the cost of that broom.
    that talk just sounds like my wife talking always wanting to keep me from buying stuff. around here u wouldn't find any kid willing to work like that anymore-nope.
    fdmars, ColonyPark, 56Nine and 4 others like this.
    jim

    2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

    2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

    Drifterbike (03-23-2018)

  12. Top | #8
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,452
    Thanks
    1,116
    Thanked 3,150 Times in 2,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    that talk just sounds like my wife talking always wanting to keep me from buying stuff. around here u wouldn't find any kid willing to work like that anymore-nope.
    The same here - no kids around here anyway.

    But I see drifterbike’s point. I am always looking for ways to get stuff done around here that is getting harder and harder. Up until a couple years ago Mrs. C would do a stick pickup round before I mowed each time but she can’t do it anymore. But still need to do a stick patrol before every mowing. Spring is the worst - I picked up 1.5 tractor buckets full just around the house the other day.
    BigJim55, Drifterbike and ky_shawn like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

    Drifterbike (03-23-2018)

  14. Top | #9
    Corndog Hater ColonyPark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    10,817
    Thanks
    3,665
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 988 Posts
    $5000 would be a hard pill for me to swallow, but that's just me. Seems you could maybe use a 3PH landscape rake and just shorten up the top link so it isn't so aggressive. You could also angle it to create a windrow effect. I could see that working for getting the gravel back onto your driveway too.
    BigJim55 and ky_shawn like this.
    Jamie

    2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to ColonyPark For This Useful Post:

    Drifterbike (03-23-2018)

  16. Top | #10
    ky_shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 09:44 AM
    Location
    Bluegrass state
    Posts
    1,933
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 270 Times in 225 Posts
    What options are there for a 3point rear broom? I often discover things I want for my loader or to attach to front of tractor ends up costing WAY more than the rear 3 point option. It may not work as well as a broom on the front but your not going to be using this thing daily or even weekly I assume.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 03-23-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •