Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Need advice for sprayer on SCUT / 1025R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Thanks

Need advice for sprayer on SCUT / 1025R

I am getting ready for the maiden run with my new 60 gallon sprayer. It has 5 nozzles spaced at 30" on a 12' boom. With 30" spacing, the nozzle height above the crop canopy should be 30". So, I am thinking about re-plumbing and setting the nozzles at 20" spacing. This would allow me to lower the height of the sprayer down to 20". So, given the following factors:

• Novice Operator
    • Small tractor
    • Four acres of gently sloping terrain (but not hilly)
    • A few holes here and there that I plan to fill in, but they do look a bit dangerous if I hit one with a full tank on terrain that slopes toward a hole that a rear tire dropped into.
    • I can keep the payload down to 30 or 40 gallons and adjust my chemical content so that one tank would cover one acre.
    • I can keep the speed down - I have lots of time.

So, what is the crowd wisdom? Should I just make the mods, or give it a go with the 30" spacing and see how it works? (30" puts the 3 point hitch just about all the way up.)

Re-plumbing would only cost about $60. (two nozzle bodies, and a set of smaller nozzles.). It seems like cheap insurance to reduce the risk of a rollover, but then maybe I'm overthinking this and the risk isn't that great. I will probably do all of the above: re-plumb, use a partial tank, and adjust my tank concentration so that I can keep the speed down around 2 MPH.

Thoughts? Additional advice?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180304_152642[1].jpg  
    Last edited by KeyboardJungle; 03-27-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Levi, ky_shawn, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardJungle View Post
    I am getting ready for the maiden run with my new 60 gallon sprayer. It has 5 nozzles spaced at 30" on a 12' boom. With 30" spacing, the nozzle height above the crop canopy should be 30". So, I am thinking about re-plumbing and setting the nozzles at 20" spacing. This would allow me to lower the height of the sprayer down to 20". So, given the following factors:

• Novice Operator
    • Small tractor
    • Four acres of gently sloping terrain (but not hilly)
    • A few holes here and there that I plan to fill in, but they do look a bit dangerous if I hit one with a full tank on terrain that slopes toward a hole that a rear tire dropped into.
    • I can keep the payload down to 30 or 40 gallons and adjust my chemical content so that one tank would cover one acre.
    • I can keep the speed down - I have lots of time.

So, what is the crowd wisdom? Should I just make the mods, or give it a go with the 30" spacing and see how it works? (30" puts the 3 point hitch just about all the way up.)

Re-plumbing would only cost about $60. (two nozzle bodies, and a set of smaller nozzles.). It seems like cheap insurance to reduce the risk of a rollover, but then maybe I'm overthinking this and the risk isn't that great. I will probably do all of the above: re-plumb, use a partial tank, and adjust my tank concentration so that I can keep the speed down around 2 MPH.

Thoughts? Additional advice?
    I would run it as is personally, it would take a deep hole to concern me. If I chickened out once getting to those holes I would just drive around them or lower sprayer to drive through them without much concern to my spray application in that particular spot. But that's me, I will do a lot to save myself from doing the work on the sprayer and spending $60.00

That's a nice looking sprayer!
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 03-27-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    Levi, Robnik and KeyboardJungle like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (03-27-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    I would run it as is personally, it would take a deep hole to concern me. If I chickened out once getting to those holes I would just drive around them or lower sprayer to drive through them without much concern to my spray application in that particular spot. But that's me, I will do a lot to save myself from doing the work on the sprayer and spending $60.00

That's a nice looking sprayer!
    Thanks - I am very happy with the quality of the sprayer.

It does seem sensible to at least give it a few runs before deciding if I should change things, or I might be solving a problem that I don't really have.
    Levi, ky_shawn and Robnik like this.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    The iMatch, tank, spray equipment, and liquid weigh well over a thousand pounds. You have virtually no counterbalance forward of your loader. Then you have to account how much momentum a half-full tank, that weighs 500lbs, will have on your 1200lbs tractor in side-to side or front-to-back sloshing, in rough terrain. Is the 1025R even rated at the 3pt to lift that much?

Sorry, but that's just screaming 'accident waiting to happen'.

At the very least, put your ROPS up.
    Last edited by firemachine69; 03-27-2018 at 09:23 AM.
    keane likes this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks - I am very happy with the quality of the sprayer.

It does seem sensible to at least give it a few runs before deciding if I should change things, or I might be solving a problem that I don't really have.
    That's my thoughts. I don't know your ground and your definition of a hole may be a complete washout that's waist deep but in general considering the width of your booms, if I was spraying and came to an area I believed I could tip over, I would drive around the hole. Overspraying a couple feet wouldn't concern me personally. I understand the concerns of tipping over, I have been on tractors my entire life and I have never had my nerves shaken on any of them in the ways compact and subcompact tractors has done.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
    The iMatch, tank, spray equipment, and liquid weigh well over a thousand pounds. You have virtually no counterbalance forward of your loader. Then you have to account how much momentum a half-full tank, that weighs 500lbs, will have on your 1200lbs tractor in side-to side or front-to-back sloshing, in rough terrain. Is the 1025R even rated at the 3pt to lift that much?

Sorry, but that's just screaming 'accident waiting to happen'.

At the very least, put your ROPS up.
    I believe your numbers are a bit off on the op's setup
    Robnik and KeyboardJungle like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    That's my thoughts. I don't know your ground and your definition of a hole may be a complete washout that's waist deep but in general considering the width of your booms, if I was spraying and came to an area I believed I could tip over, I would drive around the hole. Overspraying a couple feet wouldn't concern me personally. I understand the concerns of tipping over, I have been on tractors my entire life and I have never had my nerves shaken on any of them in the ways compact and subcompact tractors has done.
    If the weather is decent this weekend, I might load the sprayer with 30 gallons of water and make a few test runs with the boom at 20" and 30". If that seems comfortable, then I'll add another 10 gallons and see how it does with 40 gallons. It will also give me a feel for what speed works (meaning how slow can I go), in case I have to downsize my nozzles. I don't plan on exceeding about 2 mph. It would be helpful be able to to focus on the machinery and get some practical experience and data points without having to also think about the spraying that is going on.

My terrain is not rough - I am in the valley, so it isn't hilly. I have a few holes that are about 8" deep.

I'm assuming that I can counterweight the front end by loading the bucket with sandbags? It would probably be better to put weights on the front of the tractor, but I don't have any yet.

To the OP - good advice. I wouldn't even think about not using the ROPS and seatbelt.
    Levi, ky_shawn and Robnik like this.
    Dave

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    Fill it with a few gallons of water and check your spray pattern on a driveway, you want some spray overlap. You also need to 'calibrate' your nozzles - place a container under each nozzle and measure the spray collected over one minute (or whatever), do this for each nozzle and then average the gallons per minute and use that for your calculations. If your tractor doesn't have a speed indicator, use a GPS so you can maintain whatever speed is necessary to put down the gallons per acre the label specifies.

You adjust the spray output with your bypass valve and pressure gauge. There will be a 'sweet' spot for pressure that provides good spray overlap without atomizing the liquid and blowing it all over the place.

I have a Texas private applicator license so I can purchase restricted herbicides - I had to learn all of the boom sprayer stuff for my exam.
    Levi, keane, lindsey97 and 5 others like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. 1998 Komatsu D39P-1 dozer (size of a Cat D5, sold)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johncanfield For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (03-27-2018), ky_shawn (03-27-2018), lindsey97 (04-21-2018), Robnik (03-27-2018)

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 09:00 AM
    Thanks
    I believe your numbers are a bit off on the op's setup
    I have a chart I made that has the weight of my "toys". I use it to determine tongue weight when I trailer my equipment. The 1025R weighs 1,444. The FEL is 624. Water is 8 lbs per gallon. I think the Imatch is about 50 lbs. If the setup gets at all to bouncing, steering will be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    X748 - Curtis cab; X758 - 54" mower; X754 - 54" mower; 1025 TLB
    48" Berco Snowblower, 647 tiller, Cyclone vac, 60" 7-Iron deck

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hummer.2012 For This Useful Post:

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    If the weather is decent this weekend, I might load the sprayer with 30 gallons of water and make a few test runs with the boom at 20" and 30". If that seems comfortable, then I'll add another 10 gallons and see how it does with 40 gallons. It will also give me a feel for what speed works (meaning how slow can I go), in case I have to downsize my nozzles. I don't plan on exceeding about 2 mph. It would be helpful be able to to focus on the machinery and get some practical experience and data points without having to also think about the spraying that is going on.

My terrain is not rough - I am in the valley, so it isn't hilly. I have a few holes that are about 8" deep.

I'm assuming that I can counterweight the front end by loading the bucket with sandbags? It would probably be better to put weights on the front of the tractor, but I don't have any yet.

To the OP - good advice. I wouldn't even think about not using the ROPS and seatbelt.
    I wouldn't be to worried, seems like you have a plan together that fits into your comfort level and it seems reasonable to me. What does the sprayer weigh empty? Around 150lbs or so? Factor in the iMatch and 30-40 gallons your probably around 460lbs? I believe your fine, if weight in the bucket gives you more confidence in your rig then add it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast