• 3 Post By CADplans
  • 1 Post By 69project

Thread: Frontier Land Plane

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 03:10 PM
    Thanks

Frontier Land Plane

Hello All, I have a 2017 2038r, so anyone with the frontier land plane? If so, what are some advantages of going with the 72" over the 60", I know, I know the 72" is bigger! Besides that. This will be used for my 400' gravel driveway. I can see where the 72 would get more done quicker but the 60 might be better for tight corners, going around obstacles etc. Whaddya think?
    Levi and PJR832 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    02-24-2019 @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    My crushed rock driveway is a tad under 300 feet long winding steeply down and around till it tags the county road. I don't use the Land Plane but use a 8" x 8" x 8 foot timber post with a large angle iron attached to the front lower edge. I drag the post up and down the driveway leveling the surface. Works well with one caution. When planning the surface, the crushed rock DGA (dense graded aggregate) gets loosened, and when it rains the fines wash away, then the larger rock gets kicked into the side ditches. My driveway was getting thinner and thinner. I found it to be more beneficial to order a load of DGA about once every 3 years, and have them tailgate it then smooth and shape everything with the timber drag. I maintain a pile of rock that I use to patch holes and use it to reshape the driveway to make sure the rain water drains off left and right instead of running straight down washing the expensive crushed rock away.
    Levi and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 2320, Tiller, Trailer, Box Blade, Grader Blade, 10' Drag

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 2320 For This Useful Post:

Hooey (03-28-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks
    I have the 2038 and a Frontier 60 inch landplane. It’s great, built solid and works well. I bought the 60 inch because my driveway is steep and I drag the gravel back up after gravity drags it down the hill. I have no problem pulling it full of gravel up the hill. If your land is flat, you could pull the 72. If it’s steep, I would stay with the 60.
    Levi, PJR832 and bvbearcat like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yank For This Useful Post:

Hooey (03-28-2018), mark02tj (03-28-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 10:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooey View Post
    Hello All, I have a 2017 2038r, so anyone with the frontier land plane? If so, what are some advantages of going with the 72" over the 60", I know, I know the 72" is bigger! Besides that. This will be used for my 400' gravel driveway. I can see where the 72 would get more done quicker but the 60 might be better for tight corners, going around obstacles etc. Whaddya think?
    Newbie here with the land plane, but my first experience with it was Great. I have 3046r with 72 inch one and no issues pulling it. But thinking the 60 inch may be better suited for the 2xxx series. I think as long as the plane is wider than the tractor is all needed. Remember it moves the fines to the center thus a return trip in the opposite direction along the other side is necessary so that getting you a 10 wide grade.
    PJR832 and Yank like this.
    2018 3046r cab model delivered 2/26/18
    Radio, mirrors, rear work lights
    Loader
    Heavy duty bucket 6 ft
    Frontier grapple 5ft av20h
    Frontier land plane 6 ft
    Frontier snow plow with hydro angle 6 ft
    Frontier forks 48 inch
    Ballast box
    Quick hitch
    Front weight extension with 6 42lb weights

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cliebold For This Useful Post:

Hooey (03-28-2018)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2320 View Post
    I found it to be more beneficial to order a load of DGA about once every 3 years, and have them tailgate it then smooth and shape everything with the timber drag.
    I used to always have the delivery truck tailgate the first pass but starting two years ago they said they will no longer spread any deliveries due to liability concerns.
    CADplans and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I used to always have the delivery truck tailgate the first pass but starting two years ago they said they will no longer spread any deliveries due to liability concerns.
    My brother ran into that here in Virginia,, but, he lives in the eastern part of the state,
    I told him he needed to become friends with a truck owner.

An independent will always be "hungry", they need to haul an "extra" load.

In the last 3 weeks, I have had over $3,000 of stone "tailgated".

What shocked me is the truck owner backed the truck in over 1/4 mile,,
    he backed in, so that he could tailgate the stone in reverse,,,
    the ground was too soft, he would have sunk if he had come in forward.

The last few loads were tailgated going forward,, because they have a base down.

I expect to see more stone delivered this week.
    mark02tj, johncanfield and PJR832 like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

Hooey (03-28-2018)

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:21 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooey View Post
    I have the 60 inch but sometimes wish I had the 72. I think the one difference is the 72 may have scarifiers built in. I can't remember but I do know either the 72 or 84 comes with that option. The 60 inch does not. Having scarifiers would sometimes come in handy to break up the ground on the first pass or two. That is really the only difference other than the weight. The 72 is going to be heavier. I am not sure the extra width makes any harder to maneuver, it's the length of mine that can be a challenge sometimes.
    PJR832 likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

Hooey (03-28-2018)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements