Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: DIY leaf/grass collection

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-04-2019 @ 09:21 AM
    Thanks

DIY leaf/grass collection

I am starting my thought process about ideas for a DIY bagging system for my 1023e 60" deck.

Couple of questions to others that own a 1023e. Since I only have had mine for one grass/leaf season.
    Is the set up for the deck/ and engine strong enough to launch dry/wet grass/leaves up and out to the rear of the tractor into a follow behind cart without a separate motor? If the shot to the cart is a smooth and no 90 degree angles?
    What is the smooth walled flex hose diameter size suggestion?

Like I said this is just a thought right now, as I live in Maine and all we are moving right now is snow.
    Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    2014 1023e John Deere
    H120 Loader
    60" Auto-connect mower deck w/JD mulching kit
    49" Frontier Tiller 1149
    47" John Deere 2 stage snow eater
    48" Titan forks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    I don’t know of any mower deck that can do that - even commercial mowers.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I don’t know of any mower deck that can do that - even commercial mowers.
    My guess would be probably not, but my old 42" Craftsman mower had a bagger and the force of the side discharge was the only thing forcing the clippings into the bagger, so it is possible maybe.
    Robnik likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm thinking the force of the discharge is enough if there is not allot of bends in the pipe.

And when I saw wet that is just a rare instants, if I were to go over leaves that may have a layer under a tad wet. I wouldn't purposely collect leaves or grass knowing it would be heavier.
    The bulk of the time would be leaves and while they were dry.
    2014 1023e John Deere
    H120 Loader
    49" Frontier Tiller 1149
    48" Titan forks

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:18 PM
    Thanks
    I would say no. You are going to need some form of "assist". Every system I have seen uses this when directing it into a hopper/bags/trailer for a reason. Some are a separate motor. Others are a slave system that takes power from an additional pulley added to the right spindle like the PowerFlow heads or a rear PTO driven unit.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I see some on YouTube that works pretty good. I know I am not going to get all but the majority would be awesome!
    I also know that some of these tractors/lawnmowers are considerably smaller than the 1023e. Trying to wrap my head around the fact...why wont it work.
    2014 1023e John Deere
    H120 Loader
    49" Frontier Tiller 1149
    48" Titan forks

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainetractorboy View Post
    I see some on YouTube that works pretty good. I know I am not going to get all but the majority would be awesome!
    I also know that some of these tractors/lawnmowers are considerably smaller than the 1023e. Trying to wrap my head around the fact...why wont it work.
    There is only enough force to shove the stuff out from under the deck horizontally. There is not near enough force to lift any debris and carry it up through a pipe and around a couple bends.

Plus add to the fact that you would need some kind of vent in the collection system for the air to flow out of it. Bagging systems are either made of mesh or have a vent in them to let the forced air out. Other wise you will just build pressure in the vessel and not have any flow.

You need some type of external lift.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:55 PM
    Thanks
    You are also dealing with a machine that cuts a lot faster than a 42" Murray. I have a cyclone rake with fairly impressive suction (6 HP motor) and I can still clog the 7" tube between the mower deck and the vacuum. You would think with that much suction, it would always keep the chute clear but when you are moving that much material, often damp or wet at the bottom of piles, it is easy to get ahead of the flow.

I am not downplaying the DIY aspect. I would consider looking for a donor vacuum and then build from there. In a perfect world, you could use a PTO driven vacuum. That said, on my 2305, the mower and drive are a significant load. I think the tractor may be under-powered to drive a vacuum, the mower and the tractor. Like anything else, it would work but could slow down the whole operation.

Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Look at it this way. Take two garden hoses. One hooked up to the house. The other just sitting there disconnected. Turn the hose on and hold the end of the hose about 6" away from the end of the other hose. Will water flow through the hose and out the other end. Yeah probably. You will get some but you are going to be making a mess in the process....

You are trying to push the clippings and such up hill. It is going to clog a lot. Heck I have seen systems with a pony engine and 6" hoses plug up. I would go 10" minimum.

I shouldn't say I have never seen a collection system without a drive of some sort. They do make those baskets that hang off the side of the mower deck but with a big deck you are going to be dumping it every 20'.
    glc and Robnik like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    If it were me and I was determined to build something. Rather than go this route I would look into a blocking plate for the side discharge and a good set of mulching blades. It won't be as good as a full mulching kit which creates a chamber for each spindle but would likely work better than a collection system that you are trying to build unless it also incorporates a driven impeller of some sort.

I have thought of making something like the Power-chute for my Z950R.

Power Chute Design

He is powering it by a power window motor which is about $20-30. There are also a lot of them out there that are manual where you move a lever.

JD X585, 54C deck,

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast